The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Would you like to see the Canes play an outdoor game?

The nascar track suggestion was clearly a joke I dunno how much more obvious I could have been about that.

So my reasons that I doubt this game happens at our house.

These games typically pit long time heated rivals against each other. Unfortunately given how I know how this topic's gone before we will now delve into what makes a rival and how many close but no cigar rivals we have. You KNOW when you have a rival, it's not questionable everyone is aware of it.

Second, these games usually host two cities near each other leaving Washington as the only choice for us and that's not very close. Maybe Nashville? If it is Washington, that game's going to be played in D.C. no way Raleigh beats out D.C. for the game.

Third, I just don't see enough national attention for us to play a game. Who outside of Carolina and sporadic fans spread out over the country wants to watch us? We're not a perennial cup team every year, or a razzle dazzle team or a team with an overmarketed player.

Fourth, we don't even fill our own barn. Obviously we could fill C-F (with the other teams help) but NHL execs likely look at our attendance and overlook us just based on that.

Fifth, if we did have the game here we had better rally to buy up the tickets. Nothing would be more embarassing on national tv then to have the other team be louder then us like quite a few home games this year versus North East opponents.

My projection is I wouldn't be surprised if over the next 10 years we play in an outside game, but it'll never be here.

Edited by legend-1

Personally no. I think the outdoor series is starting to lose it's "flavor" for lack of a better term. It's kind of like the NBA on Christmas day, one or two games involving big name teams and now you have 7-8 games every season. 

I knew at some point the NHL was going to start having more than one a season, but I didn't think they would go overboard this early. When they have a game scheduled in March, I think that's the cue to realize that maybe you're overdoing it.

North Carolina does get some bad winter here and there, we just got slammed by PAX, and in 2010,and 2011 it seemed like my area got a blizzard every other week, but between 12 and this year we had very mild winters, so if there was ever going to be an outdoor game here, it would have to be flexed in during a cold snap, or mild snow, but scheduling it wouldn't work, with our luck it would be sunny and 65 degrees in February.  That's why I agree that it would be better if we were the visiting team

I could see the NHL marketing an outdoor game in Buffalo or Jersey with the Canes

North Carolina does get some bad winter here and there, we just got slammed by PAX, and in 2010,and 2011 it seemed like my area got a blizzard every other week, but between 12 and this year we had very mild winters, so if there was ever going to be an outdoor game here, it would have to be flexed in during a cold snap, or mild snow, but scheduling it wouldn't work, with our luck it would be sunny and 65 degrees in February.  That's why I agree that it would be better if we were the visiting team

I could see the NHL marketing an outdoor game in Buffalo or Jersey with the Canes

If they can put a rink in Dodger Stadium they can put a rink in Carter-Finley regardless of the weather.