The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

PNC Ice - Is there a problem?

I read in the GDT today that someone from Columbus mentioned brutal ice @ PNC Arena during practice today.  I've heard this comment sporadically over the past several years.  A few times this season, I saw a player (including at least one Cane) trip and fall for no apparent reason; no other player was close by.  So what's the deal?  Bad ice making equipment, lack of expertise, bad water?  I don't remember this happening when Donnie (The Ice Man) was here.  I've also noted a big increase in the activity of the ice crew during time outs.  Now they scrape the entire ice sheet, not just the ends.  Is this a reflection of the bad ice or something mandated by the league.  I guess it works to the Canes' advantage; they practice and play on it.  Any thoughts?

There have always been issues with the ice at the ESA/RBC/PNC Arena since the doors opened.

NC State played a basketball game yesterday, so that might have caused a problem.

I think you nailed it when you mentioned Donnie's absence.  It took a master to keep that ice at a premium.  Remember when Sidney Crosby said that the ice in Raleigh was the best in the league?  Well, that's changed and I believe Donnie's passing was what caused that change.  It's funny how much goes into making and maintaining a good ice surface... but without an artisan like him overseeing the operation, you get stuck with sub-par ice.

I think you nailed it when you mentioned Donnie's absence.  It took a master to keep that ice at a premium.  Remember when Sidney Crosby said that the ice in Raleigh was the best in the league?  Well, that's changed and I believe Donnie's passing was what caused that change.  It's funny how much goes into making and maintaining a good ice surface... but without an artisan like him overseeing the operation, you get stuck with sub-par ice.

I remember Syd saying that, doesn't seem to be the case since Donnie died. I think that is the answer. Donnie knew how to handle the warmer climate and the new crew is struggling to figure it out. although it has been cold recently so I don't know what the deal is.

Donnie was the best ice man in the NHL. A hard task for Southern ice environments. Opposing teams all thought our ice was one of the best in the NHL. The ice last night didn't look that bad. The basketball game and especially warm temp yesterday didn't help the surface. 

I don't think hopper's comment about NC State having a basketball the day before a game is the reason for bad ice.  Take a look at the schedule for Madison Square Garden.  The ice is covered regularly before Rangers' games and I don't remember references to bad ice there.  Same goes for many other multi-use arenas that have hockey games.  ANd I can't blame it on warm weather.  Think Tampa and Sunrise FL.

Last night, one of the Columbus forums included numerous comments about bad ice at PNC during the game with the Blue Jackets.  And these were during the first and second periods when Columbus was ahead 2-0.  So it wasn't a case of sour grapes.

I skated on the RBC ice back when Donnie was in charge and I thought it was great compared to some of the local rinks.

Edited by g105

I think he was a rarity - a true master of his craft.  It's like asking where to find another Rembrandt or Beethoven or Bieber.

good thought

I've commented to my wife during some of our games about the ice conditions even before games begin. Monday night was particularly bad. The puck seemed to be bouncing more than sliding, and player on both teams falling. Those of us who sit in the upper levels can see the ruts in the ice even after the Zamboni is done. I don't know if it's problems with the cooling of the surface,or the arena itself. Maybe it's the water, should we try Perrier rather than tap water from the Neuse?

I think he was a rarity - a true master of his craft.  It's like asking where to find another Rembrandt or Beethoven or Bieber.

:rofl:

Edited by LakeLivin

Last night (vs. Blues) the puck seemed to be riding nicely for the most part, but guys were going down randomly in all places on both teams.

Here's the dirty little secret.  A bunch of us in the upper section have blow darts and we were using them.  :)

Last night (vs. Blues) the puck seemed to be riding nicely for the most part, but guys were going down randomly in all places on both teams.

Here's the dirty little secret.  A bunch of us in the upper section have blow darts and we were using them.  :)

I noticed the same thing last night.  From where I sit (sidelines, fairly low), the ice looked fine.  But as you say, players were going down.

I looked at one of the Blues' boards and there were several comments about the ice.  These were posted when the score was tied, so it wasn't an excuse for losing.  Interestingly, there was one comment from a Canes fan, apologizing for the poor ice.  It went on the say how we used to have some of the best ice in the league, then we lost the Ice Man.

This problem needs to be addressed before it becomes a major embarrassment or worse, someone is injured.  You think management is aware of the problem?  How to address this?

I noticed the same thing last night.  From where I sit (sidelines, fairly low), the ice looked fine.  But as you say, players were going down.....

This problem needs to be addressed before it becomes a major embarrassment or worse, someone is injured.  You think management is aware of the problem?  How to address this?

Early in the game Skinner stumbled, but he actually stepped on the puck.  However, he did fall later (North end) as did Semin when he was alone in the slot. I'm sure there were a few more.  I certainly was surprised more than once.  Something has to be done, but really don't know what. 

It's unfortunate but I don't think anyone can replace Mac. The man lived and breathed Ice. That's not to say others can't do a good job, but he was a cut above the rest.

I hope Sobotka's injury wasn't caused by our ice conditions. He crashed hard into boards behind Khudobin late in game after losing footing (wasn't checked into boards). He'll miss Olympics and won't be re-evaluated for 4 weeks.

Edit: Saw replay and it looks like he his fall may have been impacted by defender's stick (Faulk?).  Apparently not an ice issue.

Edited by Manwolf