The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-1

Snow/Ice Storm

Looks like a storms brewing this week. Canes will be in MTL so don't think there will be a chance of yet another delay (assuming they will be leaving tonight).

13332354-1390857985-220x165.jpg

The part that concerns me is each forecast I see has us getting more and more snow (and ice along the totally unable to prepare coastal towns). Weather channel was saying on its last update some areas could get a foot of snow.

southsnow12701_320x180.jpg

Stay safe and warm, and stay off the roads if you can (I know I will not be driving anywhere if its as bad as they say it is).

OBX is in panic mode awaiting the snow.  But it looks like we could have the outdoor hockey game at the beach after all. Maybe the Habs can come here?

At home here In the northeastern coast, DOT seems to do a much better job of clearing roads than up in Raleigh.  We actually get more snow here when it does snow mostly due to a lake effect thing with all the water.  So, DOT is well prepared for this.

Also, the electric coops are really diligent to keep all trees completely cleared from around power lines because of the winds we get.  So, we rarely have power outages unless it's something like a hurricane.

At our place in Raleigh, one limb rubbing on a power line can knock out power.

I'd rather be here on the coast.

Stay off the roads.

Edited by coastal_caniac

4 to 8" on the Outer Banks with ice beneath. Manteo about 4" of snow. Its a delightful mess. Picture of downtown Manteo taken by someone at the Roanoke Island Maritime Museum.

SnowinManteo_zps4a964d6c.png

Wow so pretty but glad I'm not driving anywhere in it.

Only about 3 inches in Cary, please melt quickly.

Very impressed with DOT and how they handled it.  All the roads were pre treated and sand/plow trucks were stationed all around the highways before anything started. Neighborhoods and some secondary roads are still a bit icy but most of the main roads and highways are clear. 

Stay warm out at the coast and take some pictures, you never know when you'll see your next snow storm.

After a scary ride home last night the main roads are great. Could be much worse, our friends in ATL had a rough go with it.

It seems as if ATL had the same issues that shut down the City of Raleigh with a small ice storm a few years ago.  That is, not co-ordinating release times and sending the masses out into the streets with them being treated with brine

have no need to venture out unto the streets.  snow is pilling up on my back deck.  from a brief click on wral.com, the roads are skating rinks  it is going to take some time after the storm clears for all this stuff to melt

We had our snow yesterday on the coast. Nasty stuff. Driving to work last night was like driving a Zamboni down a Slalom course. Today on the coast just rain but we could get a small accumulation tomorrow.

We had our snow yesterday on the coast. Nasty stuff. Driving to work last night was like driving a Zamboni down a Slalom course. Today on the coast just rain but we could get a small accumulation tomorrow.

the coast is getting off fairly easy from this storm.   it has changed from snow to sleet in my neck of the woods.  the only ones who should be out in  this mess are medical and law enforemnt people and those charged with keeping power on

Be  safe   my Southern  Caniacs... See the standstill  on Highway   40 on Weather  Channel...  Guess Duke-NC is still on tonight..

Be  safe   my Southern  Caniacs... See the standstill  on Highway   40 on Weather  Channel...  Guess Duke-NC is still on tonight..

Duke/UNC postponed

I give you Glenwood Ave.... Cary looked about the same minus the car fire.  I heard they ended up closing Kildaire Farm Rd.

1920543_10152192564303431_259801825_n.jp

My sister had to abandon her car on the median and walk home from work.  I didn't have too much trouble getting home, there weren't very many others on the road so I had all the lanes to myself... made things much easier.  Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Have to admit I'm pretty impressed with how Cary/Apex is handling all this.  Police and Samaritans were out in full force today helping folks reclaim their abandoned vehicles, plowing streets and helping out wherever they can.  Lets hope this final assault is the end. Its really pretty out there but I've had enough.

I think I have had enough of winter this year. It took mrs. ichi three hours to do her 15 min. commute home yesterday. Im glad it rained a bit today to clear things up.

I give you Glenwood Ave.... Cary looked about the same minus the car fire.  I heard they ended up closing Kildaire Farm Rd.

1920543_10152192564303431_259801825_n.jp

OMG, that pic, TSA, IS SCARY....