The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
captain_jack88

Have to admit I was wrong about a few things

First off, going back to the 2010 draft, I really wanted Nino Niederreiter and was going to be upset had he been available at #7 and we pass on him. So the Isles take him and I move on hoping for Gormley or Fowler, we take Skinner and I think "ehh, another center?, whatever maybe he'll pan out".

Fast forward a couple of months later and Skinner is tearing it up among rookies and I'm happy. But then moving towards the next two seasons he kind of regresses and gets hurt.

Last season, I kind of wanted him to be traded, I didn't think he would come back from his injuries and/or repeat the success he had in 2010-11.

Well here we are and he's arguably the teams best player this season. He's been an offensive machine and he even seems to have improved somewhat defensively as well, despite being a -5 at this time.

Meanwhile, the Islanders and Nino didn't exactly gel and Nino may/may not be included in the "bust" category.

Now moving on to Andrej Sekera and Nathan Gerbe

I wasn't exactly ready to give up on McBain and I had next to no idea who Sekera was so when we gave up McBain and a 2nd for him, I was kind of stunned. Well as it turns out, Sekera was worth the price we paid for him, he's already having the best season of his career and has been great IMO for Faulk.

Gerbe? I didn't think he would be what he has become. Small guy who does all the little things well while providing offensive firepower. Proof size doesn't matter  :D

So in conclusion, I think it's safe to say I will never be an NHL GM.

First off, going back to the 2010 draft, I really wanted Nino Niederreiter and was going to be upset had he been available at #7 and we pass on him. So the Isles take him and I move on hoping for Gormley or Fowler, we take Skinner and I think "ehh, another center?, whatever maybe he'll pan out".

Fast forward a couple of months later and Skinner is tearing it up among rookies and I'm happy. But then moving towards the next two seasons he kind of regresses and gets hurt.

Last season, I kind of wanted him to be traded, I didn't think he would come back from his injuries and/or repeat the success he had in 2010-11.

Well here we are and he's arguably the teams best player this season. He's been an offensive machine and he even seems to have improved somewhat defensively as well, despite being a -5 at this time.

Meanwhile, the Islanders and Nino didn't exactly gel and Nino may/may not be included in the "bust" category.

Now moving on to Andrej Sekera and Nathan Gerbe

I wasn't exactly ready to give up on McBain and I had next to no idea who Sekera was so when we gave up McBain and a 2nd for him, I was kind of stunned. Well as it turns out, Sekera was worth the price we paid for him, he's already having the best season of his career and has been great IMO for Faulk.

Gerbe? I didn't think he would be what he has become. Small guy who does all the little things well while providing offensive firepower. Proof size doesn't matter  :D

So in conclusion, I think it's safe to say I will never be an NHL GM.

No problem cj88.I wanted to fire Mueller and JR 1 1/2 months ago.I don't think anyone knew that Gerbe would be this good. I was excited about the trade but did not expect the offense he has provided.

I didn't want Liles and wasn't thrilled with the Sekera pick up either.  Capt_jack I think being wrong about only a few things makes you a perfect candidate for a GM ;)

I have to completely agree with you guys on this thread, and with the talk about JR that I've seen on here (and thought myself) it really makes me wonder, because I think he can be so patient at times (almost to a fault) and reading back, there's a lot of moves he's made that were questioned at the time...and in hindsight they have worked out great.

Skinner was one of those, I remember at the time Gormley and a few other D were available and I was hoping to get one of them. Canes came up and announced their pick and me and my dad looked at each other and just said, WHO THE @#%& IS JEFF SKINNER?!?? Well we all know now. I really hope he stays healthy, all the power to the kid he has been great when healthy.

I was the same way with the Sekera trade too, really didn't know much about him, but wow he has been lights out for the most part I couldn't be happier. I hope the team this year can get into the playoffs and make a run it would be great to watch.

I was so excited about us trading for Jordan Staal.  And while he has stepped up some over the last 20-ish games, over his first 100 as a Cane, he's been below expectations (pace less than 20-goals per season, a negative +/-, etc).

Quoting Greg: "I was so excited about us trading for Jordan Staal.  And while he has stepped up some over the last 20-ish games, over his first 100 as a Cane, he's been below expectations (pace less than 20-goals per season, a negative +/-, etc)."

Greg, I won't disagree with you being excited, or not.  That's totally up to you.  I will chime in about Jordan's play.

He's not the guy the Canes are looking at to score a ton.  He's almost always paired against the opponent's top line.

Don't believe me, check his Quality of Competition stats for last season and this year.  He's faced the toughest forwards among all Canes forwards over that span.

Then check his +/- and you'll see he's +2 this year, despite facing the best opponent forwards.  He acknowledged last year was sub-par (-18). Lastly, his Relative Corsi is above team average.

Interpretation: He's a guy facing the toughest opponents (QoC), playing them to neutral (+2 through 54 games) and showing more offense on avg than his teammates (RelC).

The guys a stud and is showing it even more this season,even more so over the last "20-ish" games.

Edited by Manwolf

Is this the confessions thread? 

Since I am always right it seems pointless...... :sarcasm:

Way back after McBain's first small sample size end of year crazy productivity year, i thought he would be a top offensive dman. Never know, but now I really wonder if he's in the league in a couple of years, and getting Sekera for him (and a second) was one of the steals of the year.

On the flip side, I really was not sold on JML. I'm not saying he's the next Sekera, but for this team he is so much more what we needed than Gleason. That was a better move than I thought it would be. 

I was excited to get Jordan, and I bashed him mercilessly last year for his play and lack of passion/looking disinterested. I stand by that, there was no excuse for that kind of play especially with a new team and new long-term contract. However, looking back it really made no difference as our problems were numerous.

This year is a completely different story. He is a difference maker on defense and his ability to use his big frame and move the puck into the offensive zone is huge. For once I will completely agree with JR during a recent interview, Jordan is not a player you judge by stats, you judge him by his contribution to the team, and this year his contribution has been enormous. Also, we can flank him with Skinner and a young Lindholm (or whoever) because he will help cover for their lack of defensive play (Skinner, although it has been better), or help out a developing player (Lindholm).

If we are trying to protect a lead the first forward I want out there is #11, and that says a lot IMO. But again, his contributions go beyond just being responsible defensively, and I don't think we've seen him reach peak potential either.

Also, as the years go by (I'm hoping) his 6 million cap hit will look better and better as salaries increase again. He is one of our cornerstone players this year and will be for some time to come. When you look around the league, he is a unique type of player with his size and skill-set, and hopefully he will be a big part of our success moving forward.

I was on the "trade Skins" bandwagon too, especially when he got two concussions in a row...so you weren't alone.

+1

So far it looks like keeping him was the right call.  Still I cringe every time he gets hit.

I think that the thoughts about Jordan Staal here are completely true, and I think we kind of put him in the wrong spot lately (compared to what some may have expected). Like some have said, even when Jordan was not putting up offensive numbers, he was still huge for this team. 

Having said all that, and this may be shot down or debated, but I think we needed to team him with Skinner and Lindholm to justify his trade. Just saying, as great as he has been pairing against the opponents best, the whole point was for him to do that PLUS put up points. If he was going to stay with Gerbe and Dwyer, as good a shut down as that line was, Sutter could have been there too. The point of him instead of Sutter was to be on a solid second line, with offensive production also. If he gels well with those two, it also helps shape our third line centre conversation. 

Going back a little while...I told anyone that would listen when we traded for Brindy he wouldn't sign with us when his contract expired.

More recently, I fell for the Dalpe\Bowman hype.

Really, mostly Dalpe.  And a certain board member warned me for 2 years not to fall for it.  You know who you are.

Not so much on Bowman, although  I'll admit I thought he could crack the top-6.  I'd argue that he's a serviceable NHL'r on enough teams to get another contract.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well on the Bowman, Dalpe, Boychuk issue, I was on board w/ Boychuk for too long. Then got off, finally.

Now back on? Wait a minute! 

Edited by remkin

I was RIGHTEOUSLY upset when we didn't take a big Dman over Lindy. Man, was I wrong. The kid is going to be special and - better still - our D is showing up every. Single. Night.

Our loss to the Jets last night hurt, mainly because they won on such a cheap goal. But that's Mo hockey, and I'm glad FREAKIN' ELATED that we're not playing it anymore. Somehow I feel like Muller has our guys thinking and playing, as he says, "the right way." Whether it ends with a playoff berth this season or not is hard to say, but there is no question that this team is gelling and that the long-term deals JR has made mean we will have a predictable core back for the next few years, which in turn means we'll only get better.

Stability is vastly underrated in pro sports today, and I think ours will pay off in the long run.

Wait wait wait...You mean to tell me that a guy who has been involved with Hockey his entire career and has been a GM for all these years actually knows better than a fan? Can't believe it.

In all seriousness, JR has a great track record of being right way more than he is wrong. For every mess up - "man, we probably shouldn't have given up on Ladd" there are 5 "ha, can you believe that Buffalo actually let Sekera go for McBain?" type examples.

Why our fanbase doesn't trust this guy is without a doubt the most annoying thing about our fanbase.

Wait wait wait...You mean to tell me that a guy who has been involved with Hockey his entire career and has been a GM for all these years actually knows better than a fan? Can't believe it.

In all seriousness, JR has a great track record of being right way more than he is wrong. For every mess up - "man, we probably shouldn't have given up on Ladd" there are 5 "ha, can you believe that Buffalo actually let Sekera go for McBain?" type examples.

Why our fanbase doesn't trust this guy is without a doubt the most annoying thing about our fanbase.

If the 5 to 1 ratio were anywhere close to being true the we would be a consistent playoff team with more than on SC. Can't blame the fans for having doubts .

Is this the confessions thread? 

Since I am always right it seems pointless...... :sarcasm:

Way back after McBain's first small sample size end of year crazy productivity year, i thought he would be a top offensive dman. Never know, but now I really wonder if he's in the league in a couple of years, and getting Sekera for him (and a second) was one of the steals of the year.

On the flip side, I really was not sold on JML. I'm not saying he's the next Sekera, but for this team he is so much more what we needed than Gleason. That was a better move than I thought it would be. 

That 15 game trial he had at the end of the 09-10 season he was very impressive. But when Muller took over it seemed his game just completely fizzled. Still, I thought he would bounce back but as it's turned out, he's been a healthy scratch in Buffalo most of the time on a bad team that's in a rebuilding mode.

I don't know what his future holds but I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo decides to let him go at some point.