The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Anton Khudobin named NHL's 1st Star of January

FIRST STAR – ANTON KHUDOBIN, G, CAROLINA HURRICANES

Khudobin appeared in each of Carolina's 14 games in January, posting a 10-4-0 record, 2.19 goals-against average and .927 save percentage, as the Hurricanes (25-20-9) climbed to third place in the Metropolitan Division by month's end. Khudobin allowed two goals or fewer in eight of 13 starts, did not surrender more than three goals in any appearance and posted a pair of four-game win streaks (Jan. 2-9 and Jan. 22-27). He improved to 6-0-0 on the season in a 6-1 win over Toronto on Jan. 9, setting franchise records for most winning decisions to start a season and a career with Hartford/Carolina (six). Signed as a free agent by the Hurricanes in July, Khudobin improved his season record to 12-4-0 with a 2.16 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage in 17 appearances.

The thing that got me was the fact he's set a franchise record! I hope he makes us choose him over Ward. Really great season for Khudobin so far, even with the early injury.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703510&navid=nhl:topheads

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Certainly earned the 1st star of the month on our team, glad he is getting some recognition. Gears are probably blowing smoke from grinding in the GM's office trying to figure out what to do with our goalies.

Congrats to Khudobin! Well deserved recognition. Kind of surprised because it does not seem the league knows there is a team in Raleigh at times. And don't fret, Greg, Dobby has earned the number 1 job unless and until his play dictates otherwise. Let's make the playoffs this year before we worry about who our goalie is going to be next year.

I don't know if someone beat me to this or not. I pull a stat from Khudobin's info graphic: 

Arturs Irbe Oct98 (98-99 season)

Eric Staal Oct 05 (06-06 season)

Cam Ward Mar 09 (08-09 season)

When a Hurricane wins NHL First Star of the Month, we make the playoffs. Maybe Dobby's recognition is a sign of things to come!