The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

EVENT: Charlotte Checkers **FRIDAY GAME POSTPONED TILL SAT @5pm. TICKETS CAN BE USED FOR EITHER SAT OR EXCHANGED FOR GAME ON SUN. SUN GAME NOW AT 4PM

Checkers to Play at Raleigh's PNC Arena in February

checkers_raleigh_012714_full.jpg

The Checkers will travel to Raleigh’s PNC Arena, home of the Carolina Hurricanes, to play a pair of games against the Abbotsford Heat on Friday, Feb. 14, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 16, at 1:30 p.m. Tickets for both games start at just $15.

feb14_tickets_button.jpgfeb16_tickets_button.jpgskate_tickets_button.jpg

Sunday’s game will feature a giveaway of player trading card posters to the first 2,000 fans, courtesy of ImageMark, and a post-game Skate with the Checkers event, presented by the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Admission to the event is $20 and includes skate rental. A game ticket is required to attend the skate and all proceeds will benefit the Charlotte Checkers charitable foundation. Checkers and Hurricanes season ticket holders should contact their account representatives to take advantage of a season ticket holder discount.

The Hurricanes and the rest of the NHL will break for 16 days beginning Sunday, Feb. 9, for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. On Jan. 6, 2013, more than 10,000 fans witnessed a 3-1 Checkers win over the Norfolk Admirals in the team’s first ever game in Raleigh.

**EDIT**

Friday's Charlotte Checkers Game at PNC Arena
Postponed to 5 PM Saturday

Existing tickets may be used Saturday or exchanged for use Sunday

Due to hazardous weather and travel delays in North Carolina, Friday’s 7:30 p.m. game between the Charlotte Checkers and Abbotsford Heat at PNC Arena in Raleigh has been postponed until Saturday, February 15, at 5 p.m.

The Checkers understand that this postponement may cause inconveniences and will offer several options for exchanging tickets. Those with tickets for Friday’s game may use them at Saturday’s game or exchange the unused ticket for one of comparable value for Sunday’s 1:30 p.m. game at PNC Arena. Exchanges for Sunday’s game can be made at the PNC Arena box office. Finally, those who have purchased tickets and are unable to use them Saturday or Sunday may opt for a refund through Ticketmaster. For more information on exchanging tickets, please email tickets@gocheckers.com.
Edited by TSA

TSA, yesterday I hinted at a question I've had for awhile, and since it pertains to your topic above, I'll restate it again, Years back, we local fans were kept abreast of our Jr team, 1st in Norfolk and then with the move to Charlotte. In fact, these updates served to familiarize locals enough, that we could follow and be fairly knowledgeable about many of the individual players. As I further recall, several from around here would make the trip to Norfolk for some of their weekend games.

This interest appears to have dropped off, coinciding with the almost total absence of any semblance of news coming out of Charlotte. In fact, so much so that earlier in the year, when it was announced that the 2 Checkers games had been scheduled for the PNC arena during the Olympics break, I'd resolved to make the 120 mi. round trip to see "our team", and now I'm having a change of heart.

Why is this? Does the organization just not consider this relationship important, or is it just not a priority? It seems to me that if JR is attempting to build up this team, and increase the fan base, that appealing broadly across both North as well as South Carolina is the ticket.Absense of publicity about our AHL players doesn't seem to be on the road to building up a broad fan base to me. Thoughts?

Wish I had an answer for you but I don't.  It sure seemed like that was the plan when they moved the team to Charlotte from Albany.  The news has been quiet coming out of Charlotte but I dont think its from a lack of coverage as much as the coverage doesn't seem to make its way to Raleigh as much.

You ask a good question and make valid points, you may want to email the PR department or even Michael Smith with it.  Its worth a try right?

Well you have to be a pretty intense fan to follow the prospects. 

Even on here, only a few really interesting or long lived prospects get much attention. Kidsky, Bouychuk...

I have an interest in the games they are playing here in Raleigh, but a quick look at the available seats suggests that the overall interest...is not intense. (It would seem unlike last year when they got a decent crowd. Having 2 games within a couple of days probably part of the culprit here. Each game has to be canabalizing the sales of the other).

The Checkers team is struggling this year, which also doesn't help. 

Our best prospects (outside of Murphy who is kind of more than a prospect), play in Canada or in college.

Then there is the fact that we have precious few guys who have come up after playing for any length of time in Charlotte and become really top players. We all watched the golden boys Boychuk, then Dalpe, Bowman, Nash, all play serious AHL time, and all have varying levels of success here, but none that would interest even the average solid fan. Bellemore also. Really looking better and better, but a dman and still a 5-6 guy. No one has really broken out from that "pay your dues and learn the game in the AHL" crew.

Anyway, in the end the minors are the minors. The appeal of the minors is that it is cheap, and the only alternative in your back yard. Even then the interest tends to be modest in all but the most established citys let alone a sister city that has the big club in it's backyard and plenty of tickets available for those games.

Personally my interest in the checkers is purely prospect driven. Right now the most interesting prospect to me is Boychuk. While I do find his current goal torrent interesting, the fact that he is it kind of tells it all.

Edit: I will add this. The Checker are easy to follow through their website, and their broadcaster, Jason Shaya offers his 10 thoughts every week, and they can be interesting. Interestingly, they are written by one Paul Branekcy, of the Hurricanes. 

Edited by remkin

the Canes have been miserable at marketing the Canes.  why should they be any better at marketing the Checkers games that are here during the break? I plam on going to at least one of the ganes provided there are no snow/ice events forecasted for those days

Edited by colliefan

Those two guys from Albany (can't remember their usernames) worked tirelessly providing weekly, if not nightly updates on all the River Rats.  I really miss those guys.  Personally, I think they added a lot to the board.

Those two guys from Albany (can't remember their usernames) worked tirelessly providing weekly, if not nightly updates on all the River Rats.  I really miss those guys.  Personally, I think they added a lot to the board.

coastal, that was exactly what I was referring to when I posted above. Seemed like they made it a priority to keep the parent fans in the loop. I too miss that!

The main site rarely has any news on the checkers, we don't really have any big name prospects there to check in on, and the team has been struggling this year. Not too surprising. I don't know what our base on local checkers fans are here either, we don't seem to have many people in the Charlotte area here, or at least ones that provide regular updates.

I go to the Checkers site every day.  I usually check out the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds and the Guelp Storm sites daily, just to check in on a couple of guys.  I also check in, but less regularly, on the Oshawa site to get something on Altshuller.  Big fan of junior hockey, but I don't really follow college prospects much.

The Albany guys did all that work for us, and posted stuff.

It was awesome.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I miss those Albany posters too. One of them was named sandpiper (I think) I can't remember the other but they really kept us up to date on the Rats.

I bet TSA remembers those Albany guys names, maybe even SD?  Manwolf?  Wxray?  Dinz?

Sandpiper sounds right, because one was surely a bird name, but dang, this is going to bother me until I remember.

Edited by coastal_caniac

That was Max and sandpiper.  Sandpiper was a photographer and Max may have worked in the arena.  We lost them when we lost the River Rats. :(

Agreed, they did a great job keeping us up to date on all things RiverRats.

The other Albany poster was sandpiper214. He posted almost everyday or so. I haven't followed the Chex like I followed the Rats but do check their web site about once or twice a week.

Would anyone be interested in a news feed from Paul Branecky similar to what Michael Smith does for us in TTS?  No idea if its even possible but I can check into getting the RSS feed posted here.  I think the Checkers may use the same NHL web stuff.  Never hurts to ask ;)

Would anyone be interested in a news feed from Paul Branecky similar to what Michael Smith does for us in TTS?  No idea if its even possible but I can check into getting the RSS feed posted here.  I think the Checkers may use the same NHL web stuff.  Never hurts to ask ;)

I think that is a great idea.

Max, yes!! ...and Obx'r was right on with sandpiper.   I was close!!  Thanks TSA.

Remember our board in the playoffs in 08-09?  I missed a few guys earlier, Rem, Ichi, Legend and  they are still posting.

We kicked butt back then, not saying we don't now but man it was going on.  Not so many annoying posters, lots more great threads. Those that were annoying did have an IQ and would back up their poop pile.

I read Branecky, he was really good here.  Big fan of Micheal Smith too. He's been outstanding, and he has something most every day.  Saves me a good bit of time.  I'm for.

Edited by coastal_caniac

We had a pre-game and game-day thread then, and then the post-game thread.  Pages.

Now we are lucky to get 3 pages put together commenting on the whole game.

I miss that

Edited by coastal_caniac

We had a pre-game and game-day thread then, and then the post-game thread.  Pages.

Now we are lucky to get 3 pages put together commenting on the whole game.

I miss that

how does game attendence compare between now and then?  I know that season ticket numbers and actual "butts-in-seat" numbers are as closely held as the KFC orinigal recipie.

We got good information when the team was in Albany, not too much when they were in Lowell.

I try to keep up with the Checkers from their website and the AHL website.

It would be nice if someone in the area who goes to their games on a regular basis could keep us up to date on the team.

I had heard last season that some of the Checker games were getting better crowds than the Bobcats.

I'll be at Sunday's game.

Edited by hopper915

Friday's Charlotte Checkers Game at PNC Arena
Postponed to 5 PM Saturday

Existing tickets may be used Saturday or exchanged for use Sunday

Due to hazardous weather and travel delays in North Carolina, Friday’s 7:30 p.m. game between the Charlotte Checkers and Abbotsford Heat at PNC Arena in Raleigh has been postponed until Saturday, February 15, at 5 p.m.

The Checkers understand that this postponement may cause inconveniences and will offer several options for exchanging tickets. Those with tickets for Friday’s game may use them at Saturday’s game or exchange the unused ticket for one of comparable value for Sunday’s 1:30 p.m. game at PNC Arena. Exchanges for Sunday’s game can be made at the PNC Arena box office. Finally, those who have purchased tickets and are unable to use them Saturday or Sunday may opt for a refund through Ticketmaster. For more information on exchanging tickets, please email tickets@gocheckers.com.

EDIT:
Sindays game changed from 1:30pm to 4pm
Edited by TSA