The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Why the Canes will miss the playoffs again?

It is absolutely stunning how fast these guys went from 11-4 and beating a super elite team and very very much in the playoff hunt to 1-6 and basically out of it. ...

That top line never got anywhere near what is was doing last year either.....

It is really hard to see how Muller escapes this....

Good post, and a few comments:

1. Why is it stunning when this is shaping up as a repeat of last year?  Except for a "full training camp" not much changed, and team is facing another dive bomb.  Frankly, the players, coaches and organization ALL can't be trusted.  Sorry for those left on an island.

2. The top line stopped producing mid last (shortened) year and has not since.  Can't say "doing last year" unless you mean both parts.  They just delivered the crappy part only this year.

3. If he does everyone is nuts.  I'm not a fan of Muller, haven't been and hope to never be.  I can admire him from afar when he succeeds elsewhere.

I'm as disappointed as everyone, but not as shocked as many.  I wouldn't blow up the team, but would change coaching immediately and get to work on next year right now.  Beyond that we need a legitimate 3rd line (not only center) and can't have 6 bottom forwards who are all really 4th liners, at best.

Dvorak, Malhotra, Bowman, Nash, Ruutu, and Dwyer have a combined 30 goals.  30, it's not a misprint.  You can't keep laying everything on the top line with there's absolutely no secondary support from the bottom six.

How this escapes JR for the last 5 years is beyond me. 

I am hoping JR gracefully steps aside, and a new GM makes the decision on a head coach, but that's not likely to happen, if it does, until the off season.

But at the same time, I don't see how you can continue to leave Muller and staff behind the bench if this continues, as it looks like it will.

Edited by coastal_caniac

To the second statement, I haven't seen or heard any proof of that.

Clearly you have cameras or microphones in the locker room, on the charter planes/busses, in their homes, etc. It's just absurd to think that professional athletes, the best in the world, are "okay with losing." I get that people are frustrated with the way the team plays, but that kind of thinking is unreasonable on so many levels. 

It's reasonable to suggest that certain players are under-performing or that the team as a whole isn't clicking. If you're able to care so much about a sports team as just a fan, how can you honestly think that the guys who spend their summer's training and the rest of the year taking the beating that they do night in and night out don't care about winning? 

Yes, they make good money, but outside the thrill of playing the game, the job's requirements suck. You get beat on every night, travel halfway across the country or to Canada to play a back to back, have to be away from families and miss important moments in your kids lives, possibly have lifelong pain from injuries and live up to the expectations of your fans. I don't envy them.

As fans, yes we pay good money to see them play or to buy their merchandise and we work hard for that money and expect to get enjoyment out of the investments we make in the team. This lack of success isn't on the individual players, it's really on the organization.

What part of the organization, I'm not sure. I think JR built a pretty good team for this year, we spent pretty close to the cap and on paper this team should be winning more. I don't think we need to blow up the team, but I'm not sure Muller is capable of getting the best out of this team. Even if the power play was just slightly better, we'd have won a lot more. We need a proven coach. Our talent is so spread out that we have 3 average lines instead of scoring lines. For example we're using Jordan's line as a checking line because we just don't have another center who can play against the best lines in the league. Obviously Jordan looks like he's under-performing to the fans, but his +/- is pretty good for his role. He's got subpar wingers and plays against the top guys on the other team, he's not going to score 30 goals in that situation. I don't blame Muller for using Jordan this way, he's so damn good at it and the team was really trying to think defense first. Skinner is down on the 3rd line to take advantage of matchups, but I don't think it's working, you're just putting him with guys that won't help him score and he has to do it on his own. 

Get a real defensive 3rd line center to take Jordan's job. Maybe move Skinner back to center and try him with Eric/Semin on wings or even put Jordan there and let Skinner have the second line. I'd give Boychuk another go at this point as well. I think our offense is too spread out and even though it's "balanced," it's way too easy to defend against even for the 5/6 defenders. We need a real scoring top 6, a checking 3rd line and a grinding 4th.

Edited by Gejustin

Secondary scoring or tertiary scoring is a legitimate issue also. 

Kind of points to all scoring. 

Bowman, Nash, and Dwyer have never shown NHL scoring chops. Dvorak looked good early in the year, but creates nothing now. 

The PP is now #29. 

The PK is now #21

But the most telling stat for the year: 5 on 5 goal differential: #24. Since our goals allowed is middle of the pack (with this team that should have been good enough)...

We did succeed in brining the defense to the middle of the pack. That was the goal (pun intended). But we gave up too much offense along the way. And special teams...well just look at our rankings.

Whatever happens, how does the coach survive those numbers? The GM? Well the cup effect is officially gone now. 

Let JR stay on as president, but bring in a new GM and coach. 

Make a few key moves. 

The core is still ok. This does not mean a couple of major moves can't be made, but not a blow up.

Of course I freely admit that this core has really let us down this year. 

We have good goaltending and decent defense. And have been relatively healthy. There is no excuse this year. 

No excuse

Edited by remkin

Haven't really seen it mentioned anywhere else, but the one thing holding this team back is the abysmal shooting percentage.  I think we're something like 27th or 28th in the league.  

Not sure why it's so bad, but to my untrained eye it looks like almost all of our shots come from the outside.  We take a lot of those shots, but we have nobody near the net to follow up on a rebound.  Don't know if that's a coaching issue or a player issue but it should be addressed.

I put 100percent blame on our horrible over paid top 6 for not scoring and Muller for being a losing coach 3 yrs now

This team has not been able to score all year. Try a new coach, if that doesnt work than get rid of the top 6 (except Skinner)

The blame starts at the top, and trickles down from there. Rutherford has been very shortsighted, and unable to assemble a decent roster for most of his years as the GM. Even with more money to work with, he failed this season. He became too fascinated with buying up the Staal franchise. The team is Charmin soft, and plays with ZERO edge or intensity. Blame that on the personnel. Muller hasn't done very well with the pieces he's been given. The same problems that plagued the Canes under Maurice and Laviolette, still plague the Canes under Muller. Special teams have been downright embarrassing for years! Then there's the players. Rutherford has "put all his eggs into Staals' basket" so to speak, and a LOT of people don't think it's panning out. We have one of the highest paid goalies in the NHL, as our 2nd string goalie, and he's been bad for 5+ years now. The drafting has been laughably bad. With so many top 10 1st round picks, the best the Canes got was Skinner and Faulk. There's nothing coming down the AHL pipeline. And a lot of that blame has to fall on Daniels in Charlotte, who has yet to show that he's any better than Paul Maurice was at developing young players into NHL ready men. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Clearly you have cameras or microphones in the locker room, on the charter planes/busses, in their homes, etc. It's just absurd to think that professional athletes, the best in the world, are "okay with losing." I get that people are frustrated with the way the team plays, but that kind of thinking is unreasonable on so many levels. 

I don't need cameras or microphones in any of the locations you mentioned.  I just need to see passion and effort on the ice. As far as the offense is concerned , as soon as the opposing team gains possession they feel their job is over and it's time to skate to the bench. Sometimes when things are not going their way an extra body check or a steal goes a long way to motivating a team. After the game I really don't want to hear the laid back stoner response " Um.... yeah.... well we played our game ... um.....etc from the players and especially the coaches.

Like I said last year, " I expected better".  

Let Hainsey do the interviews, he can carry on a conversation that's clear, concise, and understandable. 

Edited by winger52

Another fine performance by Cam Ward against the Ducks. Poor puck handling, complete lack of offense, no defense, no inspiration, no luck, and no team cohesiveness on the ice. This is the Canes I've come to expect. This is why we will NOT make the playoffs. Honestly, we should just switch teams and put the Checkers out there...and trade Ward, Rutuu, and Harrison at the first opportunity.

We will make the playoffs this year as the #8 in the East and make it to the semis.  Tonight's game is going to solidify this team and we are going to go on a magical run.

Heard it here first.....I like the makeup of this team.

We will make the playoffs this year as the #8 in the East and make it to the semis.  Tonight's game is going to solidify this team and we are going to go on a magical run.

Heard it here first.....I like the makeup of this team.

You rule.  There is nothing to lose with this prediction and everything to gain.  You will become legend.