The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Trade Deadline Discussion Thread - 3/5 @ 3pm

With the trade deadline less than a week away, rumors are starting circulate speculating which teams will be buyers, which will be sellers and what players may be part of deadline day deals.

Just to get things started....

1) Will the Canes be buyers or sellers?

2) Should the Canes be buyers or sellers or just stand pat?

3) Are the Canes just a piece or two away from making a run for it or are there too many issues with the team?

1) We will be mostly sellers. We have players we can ship for future needs that can be replaced this season from within our system. The one exception might be a third line center, if we still have a shot, we might try to pick up that position to give us at least a chance this season.

2) We should be sellers. Very few have lived up to expectations.

3) The Canes need more than a piece or two but if the opportunity arises we should add that piece . Whatever we do we should always keep an eye to next season.

From the rumor mill:

Ryan Miller (Buffalo), Marty St louis (Tampa) and Ryan Kessler (Vancouver) have all asked for trades.

Buffalo is ready for a complete fire sale.

Trade talks picking up for Canes
TheFourthPeriod.com car.jpg

There wasn't an exorbitant amount of trade chatter during the Olympic break, but with the NHL schedule back in full swing, talks in Carolina are picking up.Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford admitted that he's had more discussions with other GMs since the NHL resumed, with the trade deadline one week away.  "I've had more conversations (Monday) than I did over the break," Rutherford told the Hurricanes' website. "I would suspect as we go along here, there will be more talking."

The Hurricanes aren't believed to be involved in any major discussions, at this point, but that could change as the calendar quickly approaches March 5.

"Usually there are more deals as you get closer to the deadline," Rutherford said. "The group of teams that we sit withand are fighting with, we have as good a chance [to make the playoffs] as any of them. I'm going to keep an open mind to anything that comes our way."

Rutherford indicated that some pieces he was looking for mid-season were already acquired. The Hurricanes could still be in the market for a center, if the right is right, while they would also like to add a scoring winger for one of their top-two lines.

Meanwhile, between the pipes, the Hurricanes still have three goaltenders on the roster.  While the team briefly explored trading every one of their three goalies -- Cam Ward, Anton Khudobin and Justin Peters -- a move involving a netminder might not happen. "We could be sitting here on March 6 with three goalies all capable of winning games when they're at their best," Rutherford said.

Unless this Dallas game turns around in a hurry I would definitely think about blowing it up and attempting to start fresh.  Max value out of our UFAs and any other players that are deemed expendable.

After that definitely do not go on a 9-10 game winning streak to fall from pick #2 to #8-11.  If you want to win 9 or 10 straight do it when it matters!

Dreger just said the Canes are open to trading any of the 3 goalies.

Interesting. Dreger is suppose to be the guy in the know. I wonder if this means any talks about a contract extension for Khudobin aren't going so well or if we are leaking the word out to indicate we are now sellers and any and all offers on any and all players are being accepted.  The Dreger Tweet did end with including Cam Ward so I suspect Ward-o is the goalie we prefer to move.

I hope we trade Ruutu. He proved in the Olympics he can still play a larger role, a role we apparently aren't willing to give him. He has given us plenty of good seasons, he has come back from two hip surgeries, he has taken on lesser roles without complaint, he can still play. He deserves a shot at the Cup. It is apparent he isn't in our future plans. Find him a playoff team where he can use his talents and give him a chance at the Cup.

I think it's time to sell and clean house.  Keep the 2 Staals, Semin, Skinner, Faulk, and Sekera.  Everyone and Anyone else on the roster can be discussed.

I like Muller, but he's not getting it done.  Ronnie should be calling old friend Kevin Dineen.  And I say Ronnie because he needs to be our next GM.

I'm just spent watching the team add/remove a few parts and hope for the best year in and year out being just good enough to miss the playoffs be a few points.

Also, the sucking for draft picks doesn't always work like i did for Chicago and Pitt. Edmonton comes to mind... 

I think JR knows he needs to upgrade and wants to put all the names out there. He's basically said the same thing before also.

I put it elsewhere, but I have begrudgingly and sadly come to the conclusion that the best possible thing would be for some GM to really really want Ward. Begrudgingly because of what Ward has been to this team and all of the years of Ole' defense he had to cover for. But Cam has always seemed to let in more soft goals than average, and as a team tightens up, that is not good.

But mainly, I have simply come to believe in Khudini.

Further, Khudini unsigned will not bring much in return. Is a team ready to trade and sign to a long term deal? Maybe, but still not as much value.

Peters is not going to bring anything of value.

Ward, however, might. I say might because a GM would have to give up something seriously good for JR to have cover trading him, and that would only happen based on Ward's reputation from the past. But it could happen.

Further, to get any return we will have to sign Khudini or he walks as FA. But does Khudini sign now if Ward is still here?

In a way, the ONLY way to get anything back for any of the 3 goalies is A. Khudini signs B. Trade Ward. Since Khudini likely does not sign if Ward is still here......

If I were JR,nobody would be off limits if it was a good enough deal. The core has established a losing culture, and it may be time to clean house, start from scratch, and go through a major rebuild. I seems like the last few years JR has built a team that Might make the playoffs. I think he needs to build a team that can contend year after year. That might be wishful thinking, but If other teams can do it, I see no reason it can't be done here.

If I were JR,nobody would be off limits if it was a good enough deal. The core has established a losing culture, and it may be time to clean house, start from scratch, and go through a major rebuild. I seems like the last few years JR has built a team that Might make the playoffs. I think he needs to build a team that can contend year after year. That might be wishful thinking, but If other teams can do it, I see no reason it can't be done here.

The only problem with cleaning house and rebuilding is you are probable looking at another 3-5 years without playoffs. We spent 3 years rebuilding and it didn't work so we went out and got some established talent and thus far that hasn't worked either.

I would hope we would put every name on the table, evaluate them and decide who our future is, what kind of team we want to be and who should lead that team.

I wouldn't blow up everything but I would take a hard cold look at our roster and then go make the moves. If it means getting rid of fan favorites to achieve the goal then do it. If the leadership isn't on the ice change it. If one of your "stars" can get the best return in the scheme your looking for then pull the trigger. If you stick with Muller get him the players that play his system and if you replace Muller find a coach with a system that fits your players.

I think it is time for some hard cold calculating moves. Forget the past and deal for the future.

E, J, Skinner, Lindolm, Semin, Faulk, Sekera, Murphy, Khudini (Ward).

I know that it's got to be fashionable to say otherwise, but at this point, I would not move any of those unless the return was truely on par.

Can we hang a few key players onto that framework and be much better?

I still think so. I was counting on much much more from Ruutu and Tlusty. If you delete Ruutu and Tlusty and add in name of guys who are producing where those guys should be, epcecially on the PP, that would help. Then add a premeir third line center, and a PP quarterback....

That still leaves a lot of names that could go out. Even if we moved a bunch of them.

Blow up the core? I gotta think if we move the Staals we are going to regret it for years. Semin? Sure if someone would give a top scorer back. Linholm? Murphy? those guys, where they will be in a year or two is exactly what we need now.

No, as bleak and no leadership and all that as it is, I still do not blow up the core.

I think it's time to sell and clean house.  Keep the 2 Staals, Semin, Skinner, Faulk, and Sekera.  Everyone and Anyone else on the roster can be discussed.

I like Muller, but he's not getting it done.  Ronnie should be calling old friend Kevin Dineen.  And I say Ronnie because he needs to be our next GM.

I'm just spent watching the team add/remove a few parts and hope for the best year in and year out being just good enough to miss the playoffs be a few points.

Also, the sucking for draft picks doesn't always work like i did for Chicago and Pitt. Edmonton comes to mind... 

But with those sucking for draft picks ALSO came a change in GM.  Shero in Pittsburgh and Tallon/Bowman in Chicago.  In Edmonton's case they only made the change this season.  

Also, Toews and Kane or Crosby and Malkin are better than Hall and Yakopov (that might have something to do with it)

It begins....

Goalie Ryan Miller and center Steve Ott have been traded to the St. Louis Blues, the team announced Friday.   The Buffalo Sabres will receive goalie Jaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a third-round draft pick in 2016.

Pretty good deal for Buffalo although St Louis's 1st rounder will be low. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=26664&navid=nhl:topheads

This may help the Canes since 2 goalies are now off the trade market.

Im definitely in the sell camp. Keepers: Skinner, Gerbs, Sekera, Peters, Khudobin, Hainsey.. Reason being these are the only guys I see playing with a desire to win most nights.. Everyone else should be up for discussion.. and for what its worth, I think Chantel is a keeper.. Trip should be dealt to KHL..

there is no need to pick-up playoff push rentals,  for those who are going to be UFAs at the end of the year, let them walk.  if there is going to be a major rebuild starting next season, let everyone know they are playing for their careers.  same thing with the coaches.  I would trade both Staals, Rutuu,  and Ward for what we can get for them.  We would also be saving a boatoad of salary cap $$$

I wouldn't trade Cam because he is the only goalie we have who is guaranteed to be back next season, unless we lock up Khudobin or get a #1 in return.

I wouldn't trade Cam because he is the only goalie we have who is guaranteed to be back next season, unless we lock up Khudobin or get a #1 in return.

The flip side of that, AK is more likely to sign here if Wardo is traded, he wants to be a starter and is going to sign somewhere where he has a chance to play his way into the #1 spot

First, Ward would only be traded, wether now or offseason IF Khudini agrees to sign and signs. 

Second, great point TSA about the goalies coming off the market. This very well could open the door for one of our goalies to go out it. I am still thinking Ward for the simple reason that he can bring return at least in theory, and especially w/ Miller off the market.

Third, I agree this team has moved past picking up a rental. Any move now should be one that will improve the team in the future as well as this year. With more buyers than sellers, the price of rentals is going to be high. At least at the moment.

Still, it is a time when JR could move a piece someone might want to pick up a piece that we want (not a rental, but a signed player). The problem is outside of Ruutu (NTC) and Ward, who would fetch return that we are looking for.

As to moving the Staals....that would be blowing it up alright. Just exactly who would be our trading partner? Just clearing cap space does not make a team. There are precious few good FA's and we aren't exactly their view of paradise. 

Say what you will, but we are still pretty strong down the middle up front. 

I will say this. It would not be unreasonable for JR to sit the Staals down and say look, we have invested the house in you two. We want you to be together for a long time. But for that to happen we must make the playoffs......then if there was the right deal, move one, but while I know this is getting harder to defend, but I still don't think the play of Eric and Jordan is the problem outside of the fact that E. has been a constant on a terrible PP for years. 

Jordan needs to put up more points. But, he plays often with Dwyer and Gerbe, solid third line wingers frankly as far as scoring. He is put up against the top centers (and wingers) in the league every night, and despite not getting a ton of points himself or from his wings, he is -3.  He is shutting down the top lines on the other side. Not sure that's the problem.

Look, we all feel Eric can put up more points, but he is still our top scorer, and his plus minus has improved dramatically as the year has gone on. If you trade him you better get a top line center back. But who is looking to trade their #1 center?

It's just not that easy to blow it up. Could get a new GM. A new coach. Try to find a couple more key vets in the Scotty Walker mold. Put a few more key pieces on the build. Linholm and Murphy will both be stepping up very soon. I'm for those kind of moves. 

But blow the whole thing up and start over? Call me in a few years if you do that.

Edited by remkin

Nobody should be safe from trade talks that has been here more than 2 years. All letter, c's and a's, need to be put into a box and handed out after they have been EARNED, NOT REWARDED. it is time to blow it up and start over. This losing culture has got to end now.

Nobody should be safe from trade talks that has been here more than 2 years. All letter, c's and a's, need to be put into a box and handed out after they have been EARNED, NOT REWARDED. it is time to blow it up and start over. This losing culture has got to end now.

But the losing culture has to change at the very top of the organization. How would the owners of Compuware handle it if they had lost money each year since 2009?