The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Trade Deadline Discussion Thread - 3/5 @ 3pm

I guess what I was getting at was keeping the Staals together. Need playoffs to keep that going. Have a chat about that? I don't know.

But the losing culture has to change at the very top of the organization. How would the owners of Compuware handle it if they had lost money each year since 2009?

I am not about to argue with this statement.  

Anybody who has a salary over $4million a year should be traded ... none are playing up to the level they're paid.

I don't even care if we get much back for any of them ... just get rid of them and their cap.

The whole damn lack of motivation and emotion coaching staff HAS GOT TO GO !!

I also wish JR would retire but it's difficult to force out a part owner without a "deal".

Mr. K ... take over and make something happen !

".

Mr. K ... take over and make something happen !

he needs to make a statement the culture of losing must change.  I hear rumors that parking will go up to $20 next season. Given this debacle of a season there can not be an increase af all next season in ANYTHING. There is 22 games ledt in this season to start that transition

Blowing up the team makes no sense at all unless you want to watch soccer for 4 years. It doesn't have to happen all at once. Fire the coach, not putting it all on Kirk, but a new coach that may have a different system better suited to the team would be a start. Jr. please retire and sell off your partial ownership. With a new GM and coach they can determine without bias who should stay and who should go. Ronnie cannot be the guy as he and PK will have bias. I'd keep both Staal's, Semin, Khudobin,  Skinner, Faulk, Lindholm, Sekera and perhaps Hainsey. But I'll let the new coach and GM make that call. 

I went over to TSN to see what they were saying about players.

They have Anton Khudobin, Tuomo Ruutu and Jiri Tlusty as the Hurricane players in play.

We know the big names being tossed about. Here are our Free Agents at the end of the season

Malhotra

Dvorak

Hainsey

Komisarek (nmc)

Khudobin

Peters

(Checkers)

Brett Sutter

Flood

Blanchard

Terry

and a bunch of RFA's

Of the list above:

Sign Khudoben, Sign Hainsey (if the deal is right), Sign Malhotra (4th line duties).

That is all. 

Of the list above:

Sign Khudoben, Sign Hainsey (if the deal is right), Sign Malhotra (4th line duties).

That is all. 

agreed.  take the "C" away from Eric and give it to Manny.  take the "A" away Jordon and give it to Ron

I'd say at the end of the season, GO AFTER AND BRING BACK BRANDON SUTTER!!! There is your 3rd line center.

He is a RFA at season's end, so unless Pittsburgh re-signs him or trade him, as the latest rumors are suggesting (Pittsburgh is looking at bringing in Kesler), make an offer.

Edited by hopper915

I'd say at the end of the season, GO AFTER AND BRING BACK BRANDON SUTTER!!! There is your 3rd line center.

He is a RFA at season's end, so unless Pittsburgh re-signs him or trade him, as the latest rumors are suggesting (Pittsburgh is looking at bringing in Kesler), make an offer.

Would be nice but we need to find someone to play with Skins. Our 2nd line will be the shutdown line with J Staal. 3rd line needs to be a big guy that clear space and sit in front of the net. Our 3rd line needs to be built as another scoring line.

Would be nice but we need to find someone to play with Skins. Our 2nd line will be the shutdown line with J Staal. 3rd line needs to be a big guy that clear space and sit in front of the net. Our 3rd line needs to be built as another scoring line.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm a little tired of the organization dancing around the Staals. J was brought in to add size,speed and scoring and to fulfill E's desire to play with his brother . If your going to use him as a shutdown line then lets call it what it is, a third line. Admit you made a mistake, admit you overpaid and build a good solid shutdown line around J that can kill penalties and pop in some goals. Then go out and find a second line center who can make Skinner and Lindholm use their talents.

If you think J is still going to be a scoring center then go get him a couple of big, speedy, scoring wingers and start working on putting a third line together. Skinner probable doesn't fit in this scenario unless he skates top line but at this point you use what ever assets you have to build a better team.

In short it is time for the team to stop dancing around the issues that need to be fixed and go out and fix them.

I really liked the Skinner - J - Lindholm line and I think we should keep it together next season. Lindholm is getting better as the year goes on so next year could be a breakout season. Once he gains some muscle and grows into his body he will be great for us.

I'd let Tlusty walk unless he signs for cheap.

Bringing in a top line winger and a 3C should be our biggest priorities. Shipping out Ruutu and Ward would give us the money to do this. I'd also resign Gerbe and Manny. Let's say we do find a way to bring Sutter back. Gerbe - Sutter - Dwyer wouldn't be a bad third line. Manny centering the 4th line is ideal. Maybe we call up Rask or give McGinn a shot? I think Tolchinsky will play in Charlotte.

Edited by TheFaulker

The Canes need a #2 center with great setup skills. A Joe Thornton type would be terrific! The Canes also need wingers who can play physical, and aren't subject to having concussion test after each period. 

Firesale time! I suggest anyone who has not read Adam Gold's article on WRAL.com read it. Paints a bleak picture for the immediate future. To boil it down, he says we have big $$ invested in too many underperforming players. 2 Staals, Semin, Ward head the list. Also says not a lot of Tradeable assets in the cupboard right now, and our "big-name" players are too overpaid to trade.

Wonder if PK has the $$ and willingness to use compliance buyouts on one or two of these contracts? Next 3 days will be interesting.

Rutherford will be lucky if he can unload Ruutu and Ward without having to retain some of their salaries. Semin is still "injured" and not going any where, most likely. Tlusty, Hainsey, Ward, Ruutu, Gerbe and Malhotra are my best guesses as to who gets traded. 

Firesale time! I suggest anyone who has not read Adam Gold's article on WRAL.com read it. Paints a bleak picture for the immediate future. To boil it down, he says we have big $$ invested in too many underperforming players. 2 Staals, Semin, Ward head the list. Also says not a lot of Tradeable assets in the cupboard right now, and our "big-name" players are too overpaid to trade.

Wonder if PK has the $$ and willingness to use compliance buyouts on one or two of these contracts? Next 3 days will be interesting.

It comes down to the factor that we have to overpay for talent to stay here. We dont have the tradition or likelihood to be title contenders to get guys to sign when competing with teams. Some of blame is on JR for overvaluing guys like the Staals and Ruutu but, it is also on the franchise as well. We have to make the big moves to attract other big names but the team hasnt been able to put it all together to make us attractive. Unfortunately, we dont have the system to build the young guys to sustain the roster. So we are damned if you do, damned if you dont on the roster moves. We will be stuck in this cycle for many years with contracts from Semin and especially J Staal.

If PK has the $$, I think Ward and Semin are candidates for compliance buyouts. JR cannot dump Jordan, because he traded Sutter, a decent defense prospect and (I think) the #8 overall pick to bring him in. That's a lot to give up on after 2 years. Jordan can play a valuable role for the Canes, even if he is overpaid to do it. And take away those letters from the Staals until they earn them with their play for crying out loud.

This team needs to axe someone at the top to demonstrate that it will not accept complacency and indifferent play from its leaders year after year. My best guess is that Ward will be traded or bought out, so he may be the "sacrificial lamb" but even those who think he has underperformed for years (which I don't agree with) can't blame Cam for our offensive and PP woes, which seem to stay with us year after year.