The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Trade Deadline Discussion Thread - 3/5 @ 3pm

At this point I don't think it is a matter of who we want or should trade. It only matters who another team wants to buy and for how much. We aren't in a position to dictate trade terms unless it is one of our big names. Most of the troubles will need to be dealt with post season. But we will make some moves before deadline.

Bring back Ellis or someone like him that's not afraid to "tell it like it is" when the situation calls for it... Famous line applies "attitude reflects leadership" let the trading/ resigning/firing begin- just make sure whoever you bring in has a "relentless" - "win at all cost" attitude including the coach! LETS GO CANES (whoever that may be on Friday when I'm in the house)

Keepers: Ward, Khudobin, Skinner, Malhotra, Faulk, Sekera, Gerbe, Liles, Lindy, Semin, Harrison. That leaves us with great goaltending, a solid D and solid (and young!) forwards to build around - and a guy who can take the C and use it right away (Manny).

The rest should be up for grabs, and there is no better time to get more than a player is worth than now, when teams are tooling up for their playoff runs. If we are really ready to rebuild (I am), the value we get in return for both Staals, for Ruutu, for Tlusty will not come around again until this time next year. Taking the letters off the Staals' sweaters is not going to happen; they would not accept the embarrassment of that.

So let's get on with it. Let's do what we need to do so this team can have real on-ice leadership again.

This team is screwed for years to come with the contract situation and it's true we have to overpay to keep people on board but when you do that it doesn't leave players hungry it leaves them satisfied. We have too many players who are satisfied with how much money they make and I think we have a Captain/Goalie who won the cup to early in their careers and are satisfied with what they make and no drive to win another cup because they've already done it. I'd rather have a Captain whose got the fear of God in him that he'll retire without a cup then Eric right now. Only once this season has I seen Eric lead by example and strap the team to his back. Once out of 60+ games.

I truly believe we've got a team with no leadership. Eric puts up points sure but there is other aspects to being a Captain that he doesn't bring. How in the world Malholtra who didn't start with this team walks in and becomes an Assistant Captain in less then a month is mind boggling. If this team wasn't lacking leadership in a huge way that would have never happened.

Finish the season with no captains would be a good start to telling our team enough of this crap. Then make someone like Malholtra the captain next year. Yea I'm talking with my grumpy pants on so maybe this isn't feasible but it's how I feel about it.

Edited by legend-1

Rutherford will be lucky if he can unload Ruutu and Ward without having to retain some of their salaries. Semin is still "injured" and not going any where, most likely. Tlusty, Hainsey, Ward, Ruutu, Gerbe and Malhotra are my best guesses as to who gets traded. 

Rutherford will be lucky if he can unload Ruutu and Ward without having to retain some of their salaries. Semin is still "injured" and not going any where, most likely. Tlusty, Hainsey, Ward, Ruutu, Gerbe and Malhotra are my best guesses as to who gets traded. 

I know as fans that we have to be able to let go for the betterment of "the team", but if JR trades Manny, he can kis my STH goodbye.

1st to go needs to be Ward! He is terrible even at 5 dollars a season, much less over 6 million!!  Not sure if any other team would want him,, just buy him out and let him go or maybe get a prospect that may help the Canes down the road!  This whole organization needs to be rebuilt!!

Problem is that everyone who is on the fan's "I would not trade list" is the only ones that another team is going to want.  The ones that suck are the one's we need to move that nobody is going to want to inherit their salaries.  We WILL lose players that we do not want to lose IMO.  Giving the last several years, all heads should be in play for whatever will change the makeup of this team, staff and management.

To all the people saying "let's take the C off of Eric's sweater.....he doesn't put the team on his back....give it to Manny..blah blah", what has Manny done to "put the team on his back?" Seriously, stop all the talk. Eric is our most important player. And you have no clue what happens in the locker room and who is really the leader of the team. I don't care what you heard happened through a friend who has a friend that talked to a friend about the locker room. You don't have a clue. Neither do I. But I do know the Eric continues to get disrespected by so many fans and it's getting old. 

What, because we aren't winning Eric is a bad leader? Maybe it's because we are a crappy team? The bottom 6 is awful outside of Manny and Gerbe. Absolutely no depth. Having a "great leader" doesn't change that. It also doesn't change inconsistent play from your goalie or consistent breakdowns from your defensemen. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Anyone else want to constructively reply to my opinion or just tell me I'm not allowed to have one?

legend, I'm sure that Faulker's remarks were not just aimed at you. This whole board is just fed up with years of crappy play and constantly finding ourselves on the outside, but not so much as to really garner a top pick to perhaps set us on a course of winning! Everyone, and I mean everyone including myself is lashing out with the raw emotions that the losing culture brings. Who knows where it's going, but I don't think that passionate fans need to turn on themselves, or, for that matter that you or anyone else needs to stop giving us all your heartfelt opinions. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Anyone else want to constructively reply to my opinion or just tell me I'm not allowed to have one?

Haha..making me work for a living this morning.

I really don't know if its the on ice leadership or if we don't have enough talent needed to take the team to a playoff level. I wouldn't strip the C from E. He really is the best player we have. I think the worse thing that ever happened to E was when we stripped the C from Brindy mid-season to give it to Staal.  The same would be true if we did it to E now.

Add: If we do decide it is Staal's leadership that is lacking you really have to trade him. That would be an off-season move. Unlike some of our other big name players I think there would be plenty of teams ready to jump at getting a player like Eric Staal.

Get rid of Eric Staal, he hasn't won a thing as captain and he isn't a good captain. Constant whining to officials, bad attitude, etc. get rid of Cam ward, he got paid, and since, he's read too many of his press clippings. Your not that good without effort, Cam. I haven't seen any effort. And last, get rid of Jim Rutherford, which should have been done when he broke up our Stanley Cup team because he didn't want to pay the likes of Justin Williams. How's it feel now Jim? According to you, you make hey in the playoffs. The regular seeing is operating cost. You through away potentially several years of playoffs. I say the fans should punish you by staying away

Edited by josephdunbar

If the fact that Eric Staal was left off the Olympic team is not telling to you mr Rutherford, then let me spell it out to you in American English, Eh. "He ain't that good! He whines, he pouts, he takes bad penalties, he's selfish, he's not finishing, he's not the best assist guy, he's a lousy captain, and he's WAY over paid." You need to trade him while some other GM thinks he worth taking a risk on. Keep Jordan. He's a better two way player. Last, Jim, you should fire yourself for not hiring Lindy Ruff.

This team is screwed for years to come with the contract situation and it's true we have to overpay to keep people on board but when you do that it doesn't leave players hungry it leaves them satisfied. We have too many players who are satisfied with how much money they make and I think we have a Captain/Goalie who won the cup to early in their careers and are satisfied with what they make and no drive to win another cup because they've already done it. I'd rather have a Captain whose got the fear of God in him that he'll retire without a cup then Eric right now. Only once this season has I seen Eric lead by example and strap the team to his back. Once out of 60+ games.

I truly believe we've got a team with no leadership. Eric puts up points sure but there is other aspects to being a Captain that he doesn't bring. How in the world Malholtra who didn't start with this team walks in and becomes an Assistant Captain in less then a month is mind boggling. If this team wasn't lacking leadership in a huge way that would have never happened.

Finish the season with no captains would be a good start to telling our team enough of this crap. Then make someone like Malholtra the captain next year. Yea I'm talking with my grumpy pants on so maybe this isn't feasible but it's how I feel about it.

Sure...regarding leadership and the captaincy, there is not much we can really say beacuse we are fans.  We are not around the team every day, we are not in the locker room, we don't spend time with the Staals we don't know anything about what they do to lead the team.  We can guess, we can gripe, we can lay poor performances at the feet of an person we choose, but at the end of the day we really KNOW nothing and that will never change. 

If we trade Eric Staal, what would the return be?  Heck, the Edmonton Oilers got Martin Gelinas and draft paicks for Wayne freakin' Gretzky.  Staal for Callahan?  Do you really want Eric playing against us in the same divison for the next 10 years?  I don't. 

We started the season with high hopes but the injury to Ward and his inability to find any confidence has been brutal.  Combine that with Tlusty's epic fail of a season and Ruutu not really able to come back from injury and all of a sudden we are jumbling the first line to find someone to play in Tlusty's spot, jumbling the second line to find someone to play in Ruutu's  spot and you get lack of chemistry, lack of consistency and lack of playoffs again. 

I'd trade Tlusty for whatever we can get and Ruutu as well.  I'd bring Boychuk and Palushaj/Terry up to play out the year, Murphy too.  If Brock McGinn's season ends soon, bring him up as well.  Komisarek should go for what the market would bring.  I like Hainsey but if we are not intent on resigning him, then he should be on the block as well. 

If we can find a buyer for Ward, I'd do it in a heartbeat...that contract is brutal right now.  If not, I'd send him to Charlotte, if a team picks him up, great, if not, let him play and let Khudo and Peters (who has 1 game left on his stint) finish up here. 

Like most here im just so tried of who's at fault and where the cure is.. At moments I want to trade everyone on this team, and after the fury subsides I think who is ultimately responsible? GM/Coach? If so they need to be the first out the door.. Let fresh eyes look at over paid and under performing players. Realistically speaking there are some players worth building around and new management would not have the history of favorites and favors to leverage decision making..

I agree 100% that Manny never should of gotten the "A". My vote was for Sekera who has been the most consistent player on the team. Manny received the "A" as it was a good story of a player that never gave up due to injury, got a few quick goals and became a fan favorite due to his desire. A marketing ploy by the organization and a "feel good" choice for the fans. Certainly he did not have a long sustained performance history with the Canes to deserve the "A". I wouldn't mind Sekera getting the "C" next year.

Well hold on there, I didn't say I didn't agree with Manny getting the A I said he got it within a month and it was a weird for a team that was supposedly cohesive having an outsider easily take the A away from a long standing Hurricane.

Considering all the A's we've had this year Jordan sticks out as the one who doesn't deserve it nor ever even earned it.

I agree 100% that Manny never should of gotten the "A". My vote was for Sekera who has been the most consistent player on the team. Manny received the "A" as it was a good story of a player that never gave up due to injury, got a few quick goals and became a fan favorite due to his desire. A marketing ploy by the organization and a "feel good" choice for the fans. Certainly he did not have a long sustained performance history with the Canes to deserve the "A". I wouldn't mind Sekera getting the "C" next year.

slapshot, as Law-Dawg reminded us above, all we get to see of any player is their public persona. Unfortunately, fans are not privy to what is going on in the locker room, and quite possibly, there, Manny might be the glue that holds things together. Sekera is great, don't get me wrong, and does appear to be someone whose voice needs to be heard, but quite possibly he doesn't desire the responsibility of a letter on his jersey. Besides, who knows who is making the decision of handing out these captaincies?

Well hold on there, I didn't say I didn't agree with Manny getting the A I said he got it within a month and it was a weird for a team that was supposedly cohesive having an outsider easily take the A away from a long standing Hurricane.

Considering all the A's we've had this year Jordan sticks out as the one who doesn't deserve it nor ever even earned it.

OK, but Manny certainly did not earn the "A" . Very quick decision for someone who did not prove his performance over a period of time. I agree that the same thing equates to Jordan. If it was based on this years performance, I still vote for Sekera in 2014-2015, if we still have him after the fire sale. Can't count on it with our current GM.

I guess what I should say is in terms of what's worse was Jordan getting the A at the time of signing. At least Manny was here for a month, even though that's not much better. However for what I see out of Manny I think he is actively earning his letter, whereas Jordan I don't feel is.

Mr Karmanos, If I could talk to you face to face, I'd say you should be concerned that either your web developer should be fired because no one can see these post because of a poor site design, or! You should be concerned that only a few people are actively participating in the post.

Alright then

Can Chantel

Send Tripp packing

Take a walk Jim

Redesign the message board

LMAO now that will get results on the ice.  Whats your agenda ?

I didn't say Can Chantel, fans are what's important, correct? The on ice product is bad. Evidence of the this is a disinterest in the team, evident by very little fan support or interaction on this page. Tripp just makes it more difficult to watch the team because of incessant cheerleading of what's good but avoiding the real issues and calling the facts the facts. Ok, so delete my post about Tripp, but the rest is all about the team. Little fan participation, is valid, calling out a bad team is valid, blaming Rutherford,, well he created the team didn't he. If you want all fluff then delete all of my post. If you want dialogue, then let's talk. If there were more people reading this I'd venture to say they agree with everything I've said. If they don't, this is America, we all have an opinion. My agenda is that if I'm going to pay to see a product, I'm gonna have an opinion, and I'm gonna express that opinion. If we live in Russia then delete me.

I didn't say Can Chantel, fans are what's important, correct? The on ice product is bad. Evidence of the this is a disinterest in the team, evident by very little fan support or interaction on this page. Tripp just makes it more difficult to watch the team because of incessant cheerleading of what's good but avoiding the real issues and calling the facts the facts. Ok, so delete my post about Tripp, but the rest is all about the team. Little fan participation, is valid, calling out a bad team is valid, blaming Rutherford,, well he created the team didn't he. If you want all fluff then delete all of my post. If you want dialogue, then let's talk. If there were more people reading this I'd venture to say they agree with everything I've said. If they don't, this is America, we all have an opinion. My agenda is that if I'm going to pay to see a product, I'm gonna have an opinion, and I'm gonna express that opinion. If we live in Russia then delete me.

Fair enough. I look forward to reading you posts.

Given the Canes current performance, the upcomming games with the Rags and their fans is going to turn the PNC Arena into MSG South