The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Trade Deadline Discussion Thread - 3/5 @ 3pm

No, I have no confidence in JR, or our 3 full-time scouts, or Jeff Daniels to draft and develop players.  We've picked 50 players since the Cup.  Three of those are on the team.  Only 1 (Faulk) of those has spent anytime in Charlotte.

That's the joke.

The point is, it doesn't have to be a joke.  Go ask the Blues.

coastal, I fully agree, and have frequently wondered why any owner intent on competing for, and possibly winning a Stanley Cup, could be so short sighted as to not recognize the importance of the "raw materials". Crap in, crap out to parrot a phrase. Why be cheap in what I believe is one of the most important elements of building a team, particularly if you run a "low budget" system? To

expand on that thought, when a team doesn't draft well, where must they turn to get good players? Exactly, you have to go out on the open market, and either outbid others(which we've demonstrated we will not do), or as Kahuna brilliantly phrased, "nibble around the edges".

Thus, Karmanos seems to be the culprit in this current debacle, in so far as he hamstrung the scouting dept with I believe one of the smallest scouting staff of any team, then on the other end, limit the internal cap to hamper efforts to bid on players. Truly a lose/lose position.

Were you here back when Mile Solarte was the ONLY guy on 680 (now 99.9) who would talk hockey? Talk about painful? That guy was a self proclaimed expert, but knew absolutely nothing about hockey. I called him out on the air one day, and absolutely pissed him off. He was talking about the Canes powerplay, and how Wesley was an important piece of that PP. Wesley was not even on the Canes PP at the time, 1st or 2nd unit. It was obvious the guy didn't watch the games. He was a Blackhawks fan from his days in Chicago and only pretended to follow the Canes. The guy was an idiot. 

No, thankfully I missed that pleasure. Like us fans, or should I say, me, maybe we are all growing in the sport!

We've picked 50 players since the Cup.  Three of those are on the team.  Only 1 (Faulk) of those has spent anytime in Charlotte.

What time is considered "too early" to start drinking. That is not the Stanley Cup recipe.

Darren Dreger from TSN is reporting that JR has been asked to cut payroll and Jordan Staal might be available....

Link?

Link?

No, I was listening when he said it.  He said something like, I think JR has been asked to cut payroll and I get the sence that someone like Jordan Staal could be available...

I was listening to it as well, but through my computer.  Here's the link, see his comments at about the 8:00 mark.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#podcastid=28846&id=17

I took Dreger's comment to mean they may be open to cutting loose a big-money contract because PK is going back towards El Cheapo and not to the ceiling.  Staal's name was thrown out there.

I would guess that someone like a Jordan Staal could mean anyone with a high salary, plays a lot of minutes and may be under a long contract. 

EDIT: If this is true and the Canes are scaling back salary, they better be scaling back ticket prices too.

Edited by TSA

I would guess that someone like a Jordan Staal could mean anyone with a high salary, plays a lot of minutes and may be under a long contract. 

EDIT: If this is true and the Canes are scaling back salary, they better be scaling back ticket prices too.

You should know better! They will have to overcharge the 6,000 who are buying season tickets, to cover the cost of the thousands of tickets they give away and float onto Stub Hub each game! 

I think you are right about anyone with a high salary, but it is interesting that he picked Jordan.  He is a ways down the list of big salaries that I would dump.  It would be nice to get rid of the salaries of Ward, Semin, and Ruutu....

The major problem is finding a dancing partner.  With the showing these resources have had over the past few years who would want to pick up a questionable contract. I'm not saying they are bad players but the contracts given were horrible.  Someone needs to get fired and there should be blood in the water to send the message that the organization is not willing to settle for another losing (x5) season. 

Still relatively small moves thus far....

But one does wonder w/ the goalie moves if there is stil a goalie market? Brodeur still out there too.

I would assume no market for Peters. Wonder about Ward...probably not given his recent play.

And we better not trade Khudini.

Might have to be a non goalie move....

I wonder how Eric would react to Jordan being traded or visa versa?

What would people think of Jordan for Kessler straight up?

I was just watching some video on nhl.com and an analyst said the price for Kesler is a proven NHL center (Jordan: check) between 20 and 25 (Jordan: check) along with a first-round pick and an offensive or even defensive prospect. Edler is also on the block. I can't help but think JR would at least be talking to them.

Trouble is, the Pens want Kesler too - and Ray Shero tends to get whomever he wants heading into the playoffs.

On the flip-side of looking at franchises that struggle for a while and then turn into perennial contenders, one also needs to look at the “one-hit-wonder” franchises that may have one playoff berth and then continue to suck.  What do franchises such as the Isle and Kitty-kats have in common and why are the Canes like these franchises rather than the Blackhawks and the Pens?

I was just watching some video on nhl.com and an analyst said the price for Kesler is a proven NHL center (Jordan: check) between 20 and 25 (Jordan: check) along with a first-round pick and an offensive or even defensive prospect. Edler is also on the block. I can't help but think JR would at least be talking to them.

Trouble is, the Pens want Kesler too - and Ray Shero tends to get whomever he wants heading into the playoffs.

Kesler isn't going to a non-contender. The Canes can't compete with a team like the Pens when it comes to acquiring big time players at the deadline. That's a move the Canes would only feasibly make over the summer. There's no reason to sell the farm to grab a good player now. (see Jordan Staal acquisition)

playoffs %^&*()

I just got an e-mail from the Canes ticket office that STH will soon be receiving information about playoff ticket prices and the prices for next year’s season tickets.  Do these fools know we have less than a 5% chance of making the playoffs?  Are they that out of touch with reality?

I can't imagine we are scaling back salary. Unless it is long term salary contracts he wants gone. If J is on the market it will mean most our big names with long term or hefty contracts are on the market.

Do what I did and have a 4-page thesis prepared and by the phone.  I went through it word for word with my ticket rep.  He was speechless.  Then I hung up on him.

I'd love to take a gander at that.