The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Carolinafan85

Why Cant We Win ?

I have seen plenty of finger pointing, and people offering several theories on why the Canes continue to be and up and down team, lingering in the empty space between mediocrity and total failure.  So I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what is the biggest issue that needs to change, the issue above all others that is holding us back from changing our fortunes and getting back in the playoffs ?

Is it not enough defensive talent ?

is it not enough offensive talent ?

is it not enough goaltending talent ?

Do we need a new Head Coach ?

Do we need a new GM ?

Any opinion is welcome.

If you're looking for one thing, I would answer 'The Hurricanes do not value physical play in a physical game like hockey.' 

It seems that our franchise has focused on acquiring pure-skill players both offensively and defensively. Defensemen are evaluated solely on their skating and passing ability.  Forwards spend most of their time flattened against the boards, or sitting on their behinds after having been knocked off the puck.  Don't get me wrong, skill is a required element for winning hockey, but it isn't the only one. 

For every Skinner you put out there, you better have some broad-shouldered, angry linemates to get everyone's attention.  Poor Tuomo tries, but he doesn't have the size to absorb the punishment involved.  The rest of the team either skates away from conflict, or complains to the refs while the puck heads back the other way.  It's not by accident, either; it is the formula that management has chosen for their roster.  I just don't happen to agree with it.

Agree with the comment re: lack of being physical.  Ruuts is the only Cane who plays that game ALL the time but he's a banged up player at this point in his career and won't be around much longer because of that and his lack of goal production.

Its rare to see a forward on our team follow through and check an opposing player who just made a pass; we just skate away (J. Staal).  You don't see the Bruins or western teams do that they always finsih their checks.

On a (real) good night we can beat anyone (ie Blues) but no way we have the team to do that on a regular basis.  Lets sprinkle some pixie dust and pretend the Canes win the Eastern Conference.  Any Western team we would play in the final over 7 games would grind us into the ice with size and strength.

Edited by caniac1234

The physicality is certainly a part of it. If you look at the Hurricanes team that won the Cup and this one, the near total lack of physicality with this current group is obvious.

That being said, I'll continue coming back to what I've been saying for five or six years now: This team's heart stopped beating when Brindy retired. There was a never-say-die attitude then that's been absent ever since, save anomalies like the New Year's Eve game when Eric pretty much strapped the team on his back and led it to victory. That was a nightly occurrence with Roddy - or SOMEBODY - back in '05 - '06. SOMEBODY would fire the team up and lead it to victory. If not Rod, Cole. If not Cole, Weight. Or Williams, or Eric, or Whitney, or Stillman...

This team has no heart - and you can't win consistently without it.

So a couple of thoughts:

GM:  These jobs were never intended to be full time career jobs based on mediocre performance.  Jim can no longer see the forest for trees he's been here so long.  Lets face it, this is HIS team.  Sure Muller has input but its Jim who pulls the trigger.  He picked up Khudobin and Mulholtra and I give him his due on that but ultimately we are considered a beatable team by most evry other team.  "Our House" means nothing we're basically 500 in it.  Its simply time for Jimbo to go.  This will be the 5th season of no post season.  Surely that has cost the team millions in lost post season revenue.  Fan base based on the 25-30 or so home games I have gone to each season since 2005 looks to be shrinking; too many empty seats.

Muller:  I give Kirk one more season after this one based on Rutherford being axed to show what he can do.  If he isn't axed then you might as well keep Muller because a coaching change won't matter.  Lets face it our coaches: Muller, Lewis, Mclean, Brindamour have all won stanley cups, have each played over a 1000 games and all except Brindy have been NHL head coaches so its unlikely you will improve on that.

Mr. Karmanos first needs to replace Rutherford.  I like Cam but who can argue that he looks to have lost his mojo?  Rutherford likes him to much to trade him but who right now feels more confident when he is in net over Khudobin?  Eric is making I think 8.2 big ones this year but he is simply not a game changer like other stars (Crosby, Toews etc) are every game they play in.  I would take Sudsy (B. Sutter) back in a second over Jordon who is 6'4" but plays like he's 5'11" he never pounds on the opposition. He is way overpaid at 6m a year for what he contributes.  He should be on pace to be a 25-30 goal scorer by now.

As a team we lack attitude.  What Ronnie Hainsey did to that Dallas players face last night is something we could use alot more of but its just not our playing style.  We're caught right in the middle of not quite tough enough to play the tough teams (ie Boston) and win a majority and not quite finesse enough to play the finesse teams ( ie Ducks) and win a majority.

Canes will be fortunate to win one game on this western swing.  Then what?

Edited by caniac1234

When the Canes won the Cup, they had four lines who should score. When one goal went in against them, the attitude was “we will get back two more”.”We have problems getting the puck out of our own zone.  No wonder we have problems scoring

Roger that regarding Power Play.  Holy crap we gave up 2 shorties last night on our PP; pathetic.  I think we're like 25 on the kill and 26th on PP.  That stat alone says we will not make the playoffs.  I remember when Trip and John used to talk about the Ronnie Francis coached power play when it was working then leave his name out when it sucked.  Our PP and PK havent been in the top third of the league since '06.

The Canes are way to nepotistic (using retired players from within the system).  Glen Wesley, Rod brind'Amour, Ron Francis - hell they're just collecting paychecks here because they got to do something in retirement.  Do any of these 3 guys really make a difference?

Edited by caniac1234

Too much of a comfort level from the top down. No pressure. Fail to perform, and all is well.

Can't draft and develop anything but elite players (1st and high 2nd rounders).

GM that let's personal feelings and friendships affect negotiations and moves.

Coaching staff that has no passion.

Players that have no passion.

That's about how it looks to me from the outside looking in.

The physicality is certainly a part of it. If you look at the Hurricanes team that won the Cup and this one, the near total lack of physicality with this current group is obvious.

That being said, I'll continue coming back to what I've been saying for five or six years now: This team's heart stopped beating when Brindy retired. There was a never-say-die attitude then that's been absent ever since, save anomalies like the New Year's Eve game when Eric pretty much strapped the team on his back and led it to victory. That was a nightly occurrence with Roddy - or SOMEBODY - back in '05 - '06. SOMEBODY would fire the team up and lead it to victory. If not Rod, Cole. If not Cole, Weight. Or Williams, or Eric, or Whitney, or Stillman...

This team has no heart - and you can't win consistently without it.

I think this is a huge part of it, this franchise hasn't been the same since the front office decided to eliminate any trace of veteran leadership from this team, And I am sorry to say this but Eric's lifeless play from time to time is a big part of it, when you're captain gives up, what inspires you to skate harder, nothing!!!, and that is the problem with this team, we needed that "Whatever it Takes" attitude to win, With the loss of Roddy, Cullen, Walker and others, that attitude is gone, and we don't win anymore.

The front office needs to change the mindset of this franchise, and actually enforce standards from the coaches to the highest paid players, if you don't want to skate, and give everything you have every shift, then it doesn't matter what name is on back of you're sweater, you will be scratched!!!!

The front office needs to change the mindset of this franchise, and actually enforce standards from the coaches to the highest paid players, if you don't want to skate, and give everything you have every shift, then it doesn't matter what name is on back of you're sweater, you will be scratched!!!!

agreed.   E. Staal seems to take off  far too many shifts.  LaRose may have been a royal pain in the behind but seems to have left iy all on the ice every shift

agreed.   E. Staal seems to take off  far too many shifts.  LaRose may have been a royal pain in the behind but seems to have left iy all on the ice every shift

yup. I took Mrs. Shelf to get her Rosie sweater signed at Crabtree a couple of years ago and that's exactly what I said to him: "I really appreciate they way you give 100 percent on every shift." If the U.S. Olympic team would have tracked him down, they might have medalled in Sochi. That's exactly the kind of heart I'm talking about. Skins has it, Gerbe seems to, Lindy, Malhotra, Faulk, Sekera, maybe Dvorak. It's pretty telling that only ONE of these has a letter on his sweater.

Our PP and PK havent been in the top third of the league since '06.

Sorry to disappoint you but our special teams were nowhere near the top ten in the league in '06.

yup. I took Mrs. Shelf to get her Rosie sweater signed at Crabtree a couple of years ago and that's exactly what I said to him: "I really appreciate they way you give 100 percent on every shift." If the U.S. Olympic team would have tracked him down, they might have medalled in Sochi. That's exactly the kind of heart I'm talking about.

I feel a bit justified in my past man-love for Rosey...and we sure could use him now.

Over his last 81 games, $6-mil/season J. Staal has 15 goals
and
the 5th highest paid player in the entire NHL, Eric Staal, has 19 this season.

As a point of reference...

1) In his last full season (67 games) Chad LaRose tallied 19 goals for us.
2) In his last season with the Canes, Eric Cole scored 26 goals!
3) and 42-year old Jagr has scored 24 goals this year!

JR needs to be held accountable for these terrrible contracts he's handed out to the Staal brothers!

Over his last 81 games, $6-mil/season J. Staal has 15 goals

and

the 5th highest paid player in the entire NHL, Eric Staal, has 19 this season.

As a point of reference...

1) In his last full season (67 games) Chad LaRose tallied 19 goals for us.
2) In his last season with the Canes, Eric Cole scored 26 goals!
3) and 42-year old Jagr has scored 24 goals this year!

JR needs to be held accountable for these terrrible contracts he's handed out to the Staal brothers!

and how is this done other than fans not buying the product he is selling?