The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

K-Dub resigned.....

Buy out Ward and you pay same $ for goalie next year you did this year.

Trade him and pay half and you actually save $.

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Yes. This is a really nice signing. 

Now all goalies could be traded, and whomever might get return could go, but no matter what, there are some options. 

Khudini! 

So many goalies moving could create angst in a GM trying to find one, or could have filled up the need, plus Marty is still out there. But if a team NOT in the playoff hunt wants to make a move, Ward could go. 

$2 million is less than some were thinking. 

Edited by remkin

Much better news than I expected today! 

Rumor had it, Khudobin wouldn't sign unless he was going to be the #1 guy. So, does this mean JR has someone on the line for Ward? I mean, if Vancouver can get 3 good players for Luongo and only eat 15% of his salary, surely JR can unload Ward for a low round draft pick. 

I predict Ward will be gone by 3:00 tomorrow. Otherwise, why sign Khudobin today? How much salary we eat or what we get in return is the question now. Lots of goalies moving. There should be a slot for Cam somewhere. If he survives tomorrow, probably heading for a buyout. If I'm right, Peters is not going anywhere.

I just hope that Khudobin is the real deal long term. He's played really well this year, and I'm glad we got him locked up for a couple more years. I'm fairly certain this means we'll try to trade Cam Ward as early as tomorrow. I hope this works out long term. Lots of teams trade away the veteran when the young goalie comes in hot and it doesn't always work out. Cam has also really not given the organization much of a choice though. 

Edited by Gejustin

Yes. This is a really nice signing. 

Now all goalies could be traded, and whomever might get return could go, but no matter what, there are some options. 

Khudini! 

So many goalies moving could create angst in a GM trying to find one, or could have filled up the need, plus Mary is still out there. But if a team NOT in the playoff hunt wants to make a move, Ward could go. 

$2 million is less than some were thinking. Rem, whos Mary? 

Why not  Dobby  long term??

As sold as I am on Khudini, it's still based on a fairly small...wait for it....sample size. 

This contract feels right. 

If he keeps it up he'll get paid big bucks* next time.

*NHL standards. 

2 years/ 2.25m per.

Woooooooo!

Good move and appropriate contract dollars!! Bye Cam. Do we hold Peters as backup? Charlotte goalies are untested in NHL, or do we search for another backup?

This is simply GREAT news!!!!   :thumbsup: 

Congrats to the Canes, K-man, and us fans will now benefit by eventually seeing more wins.  :banana: 

Now we just need to lose the 6-million dollar Ward -- its just a matter of time now!!   :applaud:

Too many good keepers on the market ahead of Ward based on how much he's been hurt and how crappy he has played. He could be harder to move than anyone thinks. Why would he be worth more than a late first rounder or second rounder?. . Hard to believe he was even invited to Team Canada's summer camp for 2010 Olympics.

But like I say Never feel sorry for millionaire athletes!

Edited by caniac1234

Great news, and finally not a crippling contract.

Now move Ward and sign a free-agent goalie in the offseason. I don't think anything will happen until after the season, but the timing certainly makes you think that at least an attempt is in the works.

Well, we traded Ruutu for a less productive forward, Loktionov, but saving on the salary cap.

OR, is Ruutu just a loaner?

And, we still have 3 goalies!

Well, we traded Ruutu for a less productive forward, Loktionov, but saving on the salary cap.

? Ruutu has another 2 years before he's an UFA.

Loktionov actually is averaging more points per minute this season than Ruutu.

Loktionov, just 23, is eight years younger than Ruutu and has actually averaged a higher points-per-minute rate (.0203 vs. .0197) in 2013-14. 

Advanced stats also pointed to the Voskresensk, Russia, native's consistency.

Loktionov boasted the second-best Corsi rating (behind only Jaromir Jagr) on the Devils entering Wednesday at 57.3 percent. While undoubtedly boosted by his team-high 64.0 offensive zone-start percentage, Loktionov was certainly converting effectively on his opportunities.

Not surprised that JR couldn't move Cam...when you're ridden into the ground by an organization that's hell-bent on not providing you with ample backup for a few seasons, that's to be expected.

Maybe Calgary will take him for a 2nd and 3rd once the season is over?

? Ruutu has another 2 years before he's an UFA.

Yes, he does!  But, he was traded to New Jersey! So, will he be just a loaner or is he gone for good?  Yes, we got Loktionov for him but his salary is under $1mil.

I also agree that Cam has been rode into the ground. I hope he can be a good backup for Doby and they don't ride him into the ground as well!

Yes, he does!  But, he was traded to New Jersey! So, will he be just a loaner or is he gone for good?  Yes, we got Loktionov for him but his salary is under $1mil.

So are you asking if we will try to re-sign Ruutu once he becomes a UFA after the 15-16 season? God I hope not.