The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

K-Dub resigned.....

So are you asking if we will try to re-sign Ruutu once he becomes a UFA after the 15-16 season? God I hope not.

No, sometimes when players are traded at the deadline, it's because one of the teams are trying to make a run for the cup. At the end of the season, or before the new season begins, another trade will be made to bring that player back. It's called "on loan!" In the contract, that the public does not see, there is an agreement, verbally or written, that the player will return to their original team.

Like Recci and Weight did when we won the cup.  Understand now?

I don't think he will be back but it was just a question I was putting out there.

It sounded like we wanted to shed Ruutu's contract and I wouldn't expect we will see him in a Canes sweater again.

I don't think you can loan a player between NHL clubs.

No, sometimes when players are traded at the deadline, it's because one of the teams are trying to make a run for the cup. At the end of the season, or before the new season begins, another trade will be made to bring that player back. It's called "on loan!" In the contract, that the public does not see, there is an agreement, verbally or written, that the player will return to their original team.

Like Recci and Weight did when we won the cup.  Understand now?

I don't think he will be back but it was just a question I was putting out there.

What you described does not happen. Sometimes, when a player is at the end of his current contract, and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, a team will trade him with hopes or intentions of resigning him again. But it doesn't happen often, and I don't recall ever seeing a player under contracted "loaned out" as you described. 

Both Recchi and Weight were going to be UFAs, (unrestricted free agents) which means their contracts were about to expire and they would be free to sign with any team that wanted to offer them contracts. Instead of simply losing a player like that, many teams that have little chance of making it to the playoffs, will trade their soon to be UFAs to contenders. A player under contract, actually will usually warrant a higher return in a trade, as long as the contract has good terms. A player with a "bad" contract, like Ruutu, Luongo or Ward, are much harder to trade. A good player, with an expiring contract, playing for a bad team, will usually get that team a pretty good trade return at the deadline. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

What you described does not happen. Sometimes, when a player is at the end of his current contract, and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, a team will trade him with hopes or intentions of resigning him again. But it doesn't happen often, and I don't recall ever seeing a player under contracted "loaned out" as you described. 

Then why do the broadcaster use the term "On Loan" when talking about trades that have been made?  I guess I am confused and just want to learn!...Thanks!