The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
weehawk

Who's Renewing Thier Full Season Tickets

Are you renewing your full season tickets next year  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to renew your full season tickets next year?

• Yes, I'm in
    • No, I'm out
    • I'm trying to find someone to split the season with
    • I'm downgrading to a mini-pack
    • Undecided-waiting for fat lady

My wife and I got into quite an argument after last night's loss to NYR. We have Fan Zone seats that are reasonable in price, but I'm asking myself is it worth it? I'm a huge fan of the team and have held full STs for the last four seasons. But after this last trade deadline, I'm starting to feel that a true turnaround is not in the cards anytime soon.

I think JR is done as the GM (although he likely wont be discharged) and as long as he's at the helm there will be no playoffs. I'm also convinced that Muller is not the guy to get it done either.

We've seen real talent on this team throughout the season, but then they just go away for awhile and come back when they feel like it. .500 hockey doesn't cut it with me, especially when I have to sit in the middle of a bunch of opposing fans. Here's a money view:

Two tix and parking at $36 x 43 games = $1548 - 10% food credit = $1393

Two beers per game at ~$20 x 43 games = $860

We often have to eat at the arena due to work scheduling issues. Let's say we eat there half the season and get bbq nachos, 2 at $16 x 20 games = $320

$2573 for the season

I'm just curious what others are feeling right now. The team has had more than enough time to gel and the coach is no longer new. This is likely the team we'll see next year. Dobby's good, but he needs a solid D in front of him and we dont have one. Our big money stars dont score consistently and we have no PP AGAIN!

Edited by weehawk

I said "no" last year, and luckily for me I haven't regretted that decision.  I've remodeled a kitchen and put a frameless tile waterfall shower in our master bath with the money.  Not sure what I'll do with the money I don't spend on tickets next season...

After 12  STH years .... I've decided not to endure this painfull lack of performance any longer.

Not sure I'll even go to any of the last 8 home games.     Why punish myself more ?

I've had a gut feeling about dropping out of the STH ranks for several weeks now, but when JR did NOTHING towards fixing this team at the trade deadline, and so far has done NOTHING about firing all the current coaching staff .... well my decision was made.   

I'll have $12,000 available to spend on something else next year. 

The ride was fun at times, but too frustrating and disappointing for the past 5 years.

I hear your pain! And, the kitchen remodel sounds sweet, nice!!  

I estimate the Canes will have a net loss of ~10-15% of their STH base after this season.  That will be huge. The good news is it might actually get Peter's attention.

Hopefully this will finally wake Peter up to the following...

1) JR as GM is NOT working

2) Muller is UNPROVEN and just not working, he owns the PP and its killing this team

3) Eric is NOT the 5th most valuable player in the NHL (not even close), stop paying him like he is -- this must be dealt with. Locals want a winner, not a "face."

4) Cam... well... lets just say he's not worth $6-mill a year and a move needs to be made (any move) to rid of us of him and as much of his salary as possible

5) Ronnie has done NOTHING of note to prove he can turn this around, just say NO to RF as the next GM

6) The current coaching staff (while we loved some of them as players) just is not working -- stop thinking Cane ex-players are they best choices for coaches just because the followed the party line -- they are not!

7) Your son was one of the most analytical guys in the office, we need MORE of that around here, NOT less

8) Think of PROVEN winners, think Mark Howe (hint hint)... think about a 20+ year winning culture of making the playoffs (hint hint) get some of that here in Raleigh.

Bottom line, this really is not that hard to figure out!!  

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I hear your pain! And, the kitchen remodel sounds sweet, nice!!  

I estimate the Canes will have a net loss of ~10-15% of their STH base after this season.  That will be huge. The good news is it might actually get Peter's attention.

Hopefully this will finally wake Peter up to the following...

1) JR as GM is NOT working

2) Muller is UNPROVEN and just not working, he owns the PP and its killing this team

3) Eric is NOT the 5th most valuable player in the NHL (not even close), stop paying him like he is -- this must be dealt with. Locals want a winner, not a "face."

4) Cam... well... lets just say he's not worth $6-mill a year and a move needs to be made (any move) to rid of us of him and as much of his salary as possible

5) Ronnie has done NOTHING of note to prove he can turn this around, just say NO to RF as the next GM

6) The current coaching staff (while we loved some of them as players) just is not working -- stop thinking Cane ex-players are they best choices for coaches just because the followed the party line -- they are not!

7) Your son was one of the most analytical guys in the office, we need MORE of that around here, NOT less

8) Think of PROVEN winners, think Mark Howe (hint hint)... think about a 20+ year winning culture of making the playoffs (hint hint) get some of that here in Raleigh.

Bottom line, this really is not that hard to figure out!!  

WOW ... and YES !

If JR would come out and say AND DO this tomorrow, he might not have to deal with the mass STH exit that's about to happen.

Step one ... Muller has got to be fired before the 3/11/14 home game.

Don't replace him yet, just do some interim BS thing ... just get him out of the PowerlessPP way NOW.

I'm done...no more season tickets for me.  If the ownership makes some major changes (ie coach, GM, make some quality acquisitions) I may reconsider.  I have a long laundry list of things I would like to see changed but it doesn't appear that even one will addressed by the current GM.  My ticket rep was suprised when I gave him my number one reason on my list I made and set next to phone (stole that idea from a previous poster)....1. I hate trying to explain to my two boys why our Captain sits on the ice and pouts when things don't go his way.  That is just one of a long list of issues.

could the low level of responses to the board in general and this thread in particular be an indicator of the way sales will go next season?

Out.  

Picture is clear with E. Staal as Captain.  Could change mind with a coaching change, but only if a new coach truly holds E. Staal accountable.  Kirk talked it, but never did it.  Honestly I think he doesn't have the guts to take that on.  Too bad.

Can't see it happening since it would take E. Staal moving to wing and being removed from PP.  Defense still has hugh holes and IMO Murphy won't turn into what JR expected.  Bottom six are a joke and several not NHL caliber.  Farm is empty.

I like what J. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm and Semin bring to the team, but too many gaps and re-runs of failed seasons is what I see on horizon. Just not fun being at PNC with so many losses at home and no realistic Playoffs in sight.

Been abandoned by buds and family is tired of same old outcome.  They don't want to go and I'm last man standing Now I'm finally caving in, too.

Out.  

Picture is clear with E. Staal as Captain.  Could change mind with a coaching change, but only if a new coach truly holds E. Staal accountable.  Kirk talked it, but never did it.  Honestly I think he doesn't have the guts to take that on.  Too bad.

Can't see it happening since it would take E. Staal moving to wing and being removed from PP.  Defense still has hugh holes and IMO Murphy won't turn into what JR expected.  Bottom six are a joke and several not NHL caliber.  Farm is empty.

I like what J. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm and Semin bring to the team, but too many gaps and re-runs of failed seasons is what I see on horizon. Just not fun being at PNC with so many losses at home and no realistic Playoffs in sight.

Been abandoned by buds and family is tired of same old outcome.  They don't want to go and I'm last man standing Now I'm finally caving in, too.

Hard to argue with any of this and my fear is that this is representative of the majority of fans.

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist because I will have no proof in my feelings on the accountability situation but it's sketchy at best. Muller comes in preaching to the high heavens about accountability, benches a few guys in his first month and then it stopped. Cold turkey to never happen again. I just don't see a man tooting that horn, that loud then not doing it. I firmly believe JR stuck his nose into it and told him to stop. Now if you meant you're disappointed Muller didn't fight JR back, what's he supposed to do fight back and get fired?

There's been several situations over the past 2 years for more of the accountability benchings to occur and haven't. If Muller was just being a wuss about it to not hurt his star's feelings I think we'd of seen several small time example benchings like Bowman or something. But Tlusty? Ruutu? Eric? JR can't let his best players take their punishments by sitting out.

I just wanted to put that out there since it was brought up, unfortunately this isn't the topic for it....but it was brought up in this topic :)

Legend,

One of my posts I postulated that JR is a decent trader and picker up of especially value talent. I don't think our recent drafts have been terrible, yet sensed that there was something about management of the team and JR. What you are getting at is kind of in the area I'm thinking of. Could he be affecting how the coaches are doing there job in terms of managing the team day to day.

remkin,

Its certainly possible.  It may be why they kept a Paul Maurice as long as they did, but didn't get along with a persona like Lav. 

I guess this means Torts will never make a stop here as coach eh?  :hits forehead:

I'd love to see Tort's passion level behind this bench.
Doubt we'll ever see Lavi 2.0 while JR is still here.   They butted heads and team strategy.   Lavi was right ,,, JR was boss.

Canes are just about the lowest scoring team in the league ... and it's not just a PP issue .. it's a coaching system that is weak on an offensive strategy.    The system and the whole coaching staff needs to be fired before the next shortie is let in.  

My family and I usually spend Feb-April catching every or as many Canes home games as we can. For the first time in several years we decided to spend our money elsewhere... And without serious changes we are done living our lives around Canes Hockey.. Although its hard to break your Hockey religion, but when you start to doubt your faith!!  Might as well find something else to do....

All I know is, this topic is abbreviated as "Who's Renewing their Fu..." when it shows up in this link:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/forum/7-all-hockey-all-the-time/

and I read it as an entirely different topic, which amused me greatly.

too funny, but for me, it is what Canes' marketing is doing with the current STH offerings

What is a man to do?

A man who loves the game more than any other.  Watched a bunch of kids break the Russians in 1980 and never looked back.

Attended every home college hockey game, some away games, screamed until his throat bled...

What is a man to do?

A man who loves the game.  A man who was ecstatic when after living in the south for 4 years, found out the high improbability that an actual ECHL franchise was coming to Raleigh.

Went to every IceCaps game, drank a few $2 beers and had a few super-dogs to eat.  A man who was in heaven to just have hockey at that level in Raleigh, since the dream of an NHL franchise was simply that, a pipe-dream at best.

What is a man to do?

Season tickets for every Raleigh game.  Treated to the ultimate prize, a dream I thought highly unlikely to even occur in a lifetime, watched Roddy hoist that cup in a moment of pure elation which is unrivaled.  Such pure joy we got to witness...

What does a man do when all of that has happened, and yet now the relationship is a love/hate relationship?  When you walk in the building and you are already apprehensive about what is going to happen tonight...  What new way to lose is going to be created?  A friendly fellow STH talks to you about getting to the game late.  You respond that you got to the game plenty quicker than the Canes did on that 5 game road trip.

His crestfallen expression is sad.  He is trying to keep enthusiastic and you killed it.  But everyone is doing it.  Fans arguing like cats and dogs about who sucks the worst, leaving no player unturned.  A caustic atmosphere.  Rival fans fill the arena and taunt you about your empty arena and laugh as they stick it to you one more time.

It's not that we don't want to believe, we want to so very badly.  But you need SOME success.  One out of every 3 even.  Detroit has made it 22 seasons IN A ROW and you just want 1 out of 3.  Yet your franchise always finds a way to fall out of the picture, and who here doesn't believe Detroit won't find a way to sneak in again this year.  It's what they do.  Every time.

So there lies the question.  What are you really getting out of it?

What is a man to do?

I grew up in NC, and got to see the Bruins as a kid when visiting my grandparents.  When hockey came to Raleigh the first time (Raleigh IceCaps) I went to a few games at Dorton Arena. Maybe saw a couple thousand fans at games. They were fun!

While I am a Carolina Hurricanes fan, I am also a hockey fan! Love the game! Played it as a kid. I enjoy all the nuances that go on in a game.

My wife and I have been season ticket holders since the 2001-2002 season.  We started out just going to individual games before signing up for one of their Playoff Run Packages. Started as 10 gamers, then 26 gamers and eventually, Full Seasons.  My wife can't make it to some games due to her work schedule, so end up going to games by myself, and with me being out of work for 5 years, we've been debating the "investment" in this team after getting our renewal notice.  Another added frustration is the guy sitting next to us talking non stop at the game. Before this latest nose dive, we talked about changing seats after this season.  Now, we're not sure.

I've talked to long time STHs in my section and am getting the same feel from them.  I've made some great friends sitting in my section, and enjoy seeing and talking to them at the games.

Most teams go through spells like this.  And I am a glutton for punishment. After all, I am a life long Red Sox Fan!

We may do one more season, and if there isn't improvement for 2014-15, we're done.

Edited by hopper915

I'm not a full STH so really can't relate to the financial commitment made by so many long-time STH's and their dedication to the Canes through thick and thin. But reading Hag's post really struck home with me. I was an occasional attendee, who began to get interested in the Canes during the 2002 playoff run, attended quite a few games in the Stanley Cup year (including Game 7 of the Buffalo series, which I equate with any sporting event I've ever attended live for pure adrenaline and excitement), and became a 12 or 26 game STH every year since.

The team needs changes, we can all see it. But did anyone see the Stanley Cup coming after the lockout given what preceded it? We have some nice pieces. Basically none of them performed to their capability this year, but with a new coaching staff that I hope is coming, and a couple of new pieces here or there, I don't see why a Colorodo-like transformation is out of the question. Though not a full STH, I'm doing what I can afford to do, and after getting over the irritation of seeing another season fall apart, I plan to continue to support the team as best I can and look for the magic to return next season.

Wow, anybody got a rope?

:)    

Every now and then I need catharsis. 

It is just a game.  But it is real $ we all spend on it.  And we invest real emotion on it too.  It's not just the money.

12 gamer here...travel from jvill - 5 years running - after reading Hags post above it made me reflect myself :) so here goes- my 12 game STH started with a dear friend and huge canes fan- Chris Gallo - she lost her battle with cancer right before the start of this season... Every game I've attended this year she has been right there (we take her jersey) I've attended games with- my sons - their friends - people from work - my brother - my nieces- my nephews - my sister... I've seen and touched the Stanley cup - attended the all star game - seen Olympic medals - seen the .02 seconds left goal... Seen #17 jersey go to the rafters - wow the list goes on and on...winning is a lot more enjoyable thats for sure - but when I remove that piece and consider everything - I will be renewing - call me crazy... It's more than a game...

All this being said "the winds of change better be blowing" LETS GO CANES

Most teams go through spells like this.  And I am a glutton for punishment. After all, I am a life long Red Sox Fan!

And then they either change management or the owner dies or moves on.

See:

- Colorado (management change)

- Blackhawks (owner died, EVERYTHING changed, including the fan-abusive culture)

So I'm the only one who voted downgrade.  I love hockey enough to not give it up.  I just can't invest in 30 or so depressing beatings per year, so I'm going to drop to a smaller plan.