The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

IF/When Kirk gets the axe, who would you like to replace him?

Obviously, the fat lady hasn't sung yet on the Muller era, but we all know she may be warming up with the craptastic hockey this team has put forth this season (minus January).

So, inquiring minds want to know, as an armchair GM (who might actually do a better job than JR has done recently ;) ), who do you personally want to get a shot behind the bench?

Lavi 2.0?  Dineen?  Ron Wilson?  Franchise (pause for laughter/groans)?  Rod (pipe dream for me)?

The 1989 Denver Broncos?
CartmansMomisaDirtySlut11.gif

Edited by AWACSooner

If you look at the current coaches around the league that are successful. (Boudreau, Julien, Quennville, Babcock, Ruff, Bylsma, Roy) I'll just name a handful. They all have a specific way they want their team to play. But they have players that do fit their system.

Boudreau was given a team, the Capitals, that have a lot of offensive power, but his style is more of a physical offensive style, great goaltending and strong defense game. Bad fit in Washington, great fit in Anaheim.

Julien. Pretty much the same style. Boston is big, strong on the puck and very physical. And their players are very skilled in the offensive zone, but know their responsibilities in their own end. Doesn't hurt to have Chara either!

Quennvile. Not as physical a team, but they are built top to bottom to play hard. They are more of a cycle you to death team. They generally keep their opponents running around like chickens with their head cut off until their either exhausted or are out of position. Don't get me wrong, they do play a physical style, but nothing like Anaheim or Boston.

Babcock. The Red Wings are one of the teams everyone should model after and are a model of consistency. They build from within. They've always been great at finding the right players to play in their system. Grand Rapids is always a premier AHL team and especially this season, have had a constant shuttle to the Joe to replace the Red Wings injured.

Ruff. We all know this guy. When in Buffalo, they were a defense first team. They led the league in blocking shots. His team's have always been hard to play against.  Now with Dallas, he has a big, fast physical team that can score.

Bylsma.  Yes they have Crosby and Malkin, but their team top to bottom is pretty consistent.  Everyone knows their role and plays it.  Their only possible weakness has been goaltending, as you never know which Fluery you're getting.

Roy.  Hall of Fame goalie with a fiery temper who holds everyone accountable.  When I saw his first game behind the bench and he went at it with Boudreau at the end of the game, I knew they had someone who played the game and wasn't afraid to show some emotion.  For me, its either him or Tampa's Cooper for the Coach of the Year. 

Maurice.  I am only adding him because of the success he has had.  One Stanley Cup Final in 2002. Came back in 2009 only to push the right buttons to get this team to the Eastern Conference Finals.  Now leading the Jets in the right direction.  Since he took over in Winnipeg, they are giving up almost one less goal a game.  They are a big physical team, and as he said in an interview after his first day, he said he didn't realize how skilled and fast this team was.

The point I am getting to????  While changing the coach again is the "IT" thing to do, there has been a constant through all the different coaching regimes we've seen. Rutherford.  And unfortunately, this won't change unless it comes from Karmanos.  Rutherford is not only the GM, he is the President (kind of like Jerry Jones).  It is his job until he decides to retire or step down.  He is the one who has a finger on who to bring in and who to trade. 

I wouldn't mind Lavi 2.0.  But from my understanding, their were conflicts not only with mgmt., but with certain players who are still with the organization that led to his firing. My dark horse hiring? Mark Morris from the Manchester Monarchs.  He's been with them 7 seasons and has helped develop many LA Kings. 

Rutherford has done a lot for this organization. He brought the Canes to Raleigh, the All-Star game, the draft, the Stanley Cup. The only thing he has left to bring is an out door game (Good luck).

So, I have to say, he has been good at bring us "Stuff."  We want players!! We want a Team!!  We want WINS!!!!

Yes, it's time for JR to step aside and hand the reigns over. New coaches, new players, new anything is not going to make his style of playing any better.  It's a new hockey game!  It's not what he was brought up in.

JR...Please...RETIRE!!!!

Scott Walker.  I want someone with his fire and intensity. 

cclifford10, I think you have brought up Walker as a possibility before, and it had also crossed my mind. While I'm not sure he is ready to be an NHL head coach, it would be an interesting option. And even if not as a head coach, he might be a good addition to a coaching staff, or in Charlotte.

cclifford10, I think you have brought up Walker as a possibility before, and it had also crossed my mind. While I'm not sure he is ready to be an NHL head coach, it would be an interesting option. And even if not as a head coach, he might be a good addition to a coaching staff, or in Charlotte.

I would jump at the oportunity to bring him to Charlotte.  He is really getting a lot out of his young players!  We need somone that can help our draft picks develop.

Bring in Scotty Bowman as GM and let him hire the new coach and assistants.  PK will  not take this route due to the Wing connections even it wiould be the best thing for the franchise

Lavi 2.0?  Dineen?  Ron Wilson?  Franchise (pause for laughter/groans)?  Rod (pipe dream for me)?

The 1989 Denver Broncos?

CartmansMomisaDirtySlut11.gif

Quoted for hilarity!

Whoever it is, we don't have the luxury of waiting for them to "come into their own".  We need someone who has the experience and expertise to pull the wagon out of the ditch.....NOW

Whom ever is the next GM/Coach they should be on their way here NOW.. What I cant understand, is with a handful of games left, why wouldn't those moves be made ASAP so as fresh eyes could evaluate the current bumbling show on ice? WHY WHY WHY WHY....

The only thing is that unless a potential coach/GM is either sitting at home watching the weather channel in their underwear, or on a team that is out of it (but then do you really want them?), a lot of potential hires are working for teams that are still in the playoff hunt. Once the playoffs are set some will shake free, and as teams get eliminated more will shake free. 

It would be nice to pick up an experienced person with a track record in a winning organization. For the most part this team has hired coaches with slim NHL experience. Worked for a while with Lavi and Mo part one had some moments, and surely hopes were high for Muller, but in the end, the team needs to bring in some outside experience from a winning culture.  

That may be tough to do until at least April/May.

Just as it is tough to bring top free agents to Raleigh, it is probable that it is not first choice as a coaching/managing destination.  If you had the choice to go to a deep organization with a history of winning and investing in the product or coming to Raleigh with few scouts, long playoff droughts, and an owner with shallow pockets, I am sure you would go elsewhere.  As fun as it is to daydream about bringing in an established winning coach and/or GM, it is likely we will have to settle for a newcomer looking to make thier mark or a reclamation project, just like we do when we are looking for players.  We want Parise, we get Semin...we want Morrow, we get Malholtra (that one worked out well)

If there is to be a change in the front office (JR & co.), it will not happen until the offseason. Unless PK pulls the plug, I don't see JR stepping aside, but in any event, as long as that change is a possibility, we need the new management to decide on coaches & staff. And the earlier point about waiting to see who is available after the season ends is also a valid reason to wait. If we are looking at assistants on successful teams, we might have to wait until June. This all assumes JR would not bring Muller back unless we win 15 straight and make the playoffs. If we wanted to make an in season change this year, it should have been done in December.

I agree that the new coach needs to come from outside our current organization. McLean and Lewis are responsible for 2 areas of out team that have been thorns in our side since Muller was hired - Defense and PP. Not sure it is fair to blame Lewis totally for the Defense with the personnel we have had, but I think the 3 behind the bench need to go. Francis and Brindy do not seem to want to coach, at least not at the top. Muller only had about 20 games experience as an AHL head coach when we hired him. I don't know the names of the coaches who have had long-term success in the AHL, but I'd look at one of them or a coach with NHL head coaching experience.

Haven't followed Walker in Juniors, but I think he would be a great choice for Charlotte. We do have some prospects that should be coming out of Juniors to the "A" next year, and his experience working with young players might be just the thing we need. Plus he knocked Boston out of the playoffs in Game 7 in my favorite Hurricane moment this side of 2006. And he clocked Aaron Ward. He knows how to play physical hockey and could instill that in prospects on their way to Raleigh.

Just as it is tough to bring top free agents to Raleigh, it is probable that it is not first choice as a coaching/managing destination. 

Amen!  JR is so head strong things have to be done HIS way that any new coach will have his hands tied (In my opinion!).  If we are going to rebuild...again, we need to start from the top down!

the "problem" is that JR is such a striong personality that things have to done "his way or the highway" so a coaching change (or changes) is of little value..  a complete change of culture (including ownship) is probably the only thing that will be the agent that get things going.  Look what has happened with the Slugs.   But PK is not selling his playtoy.   Have to believe outside ownership was brought in against his will.  BUT THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN