The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hag65

Missing the playoffs - is our perspective screwy?

As a Whaler fan from Connecticut, maybe I can provide some perspective. Your team, which was once our team, has gone to the SCF twice and one the Cup once. We never got close to that in Hartford. The Whalers were on a 6-year playoff drought when the move happened.

I paid $25 each for tickets to the last Whaler game that I atteneded in 1997. They were 3 rows from the top. I checked StubHub recently and found Hurricanes tickets available for less than $10 now. You have no right to complain about the expense, we pay almost that much to go to a high school game.

Yes, the team hasn't done well lately. Well, boo-hoo. We went through that here, too. We would have given almost anything to see the Whalers win a Cup.

Remember also that small markets like Hartford and Raleigh cannot protest poor performance by staying away. Boston and Chicago both had a lot of lean years when fans stayed away. But those teams were never going to move. Smaller market teams will blame their fans and cities for poor attendance and that can lead to relocation.

Bottom line is this, you have an NHL team in your area, and tickets are available dirt cheap. Complain all you want, but that's great thing as far as I'm concerned.

was the reason for the move more of a "new arena or I will move the team" issue rather than lack of fan support?

Long time reader first time poster.  Feeling th eneed to post after watching the Bruins dismantle the Canes yesterday and having the very distinct feeling of having watched two teams at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to building a winner.  Great data and good follow up posts. To answer the question you post:

Screwy perspective?  No.  Unique?  Yes!  Unrealistic?  Maybe.

A pro team moves to new, non-traditional market and in the first decade has a SC appearance and a CUP?! Wow.  I can't think of any other pro franchise that has done that!

A new fanbase for the team, (and for many the game of hockey itself) got to experience the pinnacle of success very early on. Success breeds the desire for more of it, AND the expectation that it can be done pretty regularly.  Hag65's data should put show that is unrealistic.  (See Philly, San Jose, etc)

IMO, '06 and '02 were more "catching lightning in a bottle" as opposed to a franchise built for perenial success. We know it takes skill, commitment, a system all players buy into, chemistry, and luck to win a Stanley Cup.  I think we had an incredible amount of the last two (chemistry and luck) in '06 and '02. 

That being said, you can't have a shot at the Cup if you don't make the playoffs!  Using "The Hag65 LL enhanced Hockey Data", it's clear the management in Detroit knows something about building winners that the rest of league still hasn't figured out. That includes PK and JR unfortunately!

"was the reason for the move more of a "new arena or I will move the team" issue rather than lack of fan support?"

That's a question that only Karmanos can answer. Most Whaler fans believe he wanted to move the team from Day One and never had any intention of staying in Hartford. He demanded that the fans step up and increase attendance, even though the team hadn't gone to the playoffs for 5 years in a row. We did that. The last year in Hartford, the Whalers had 97% attendance, (And missed the playoffs yet again!)

He said he needed a new arena, and he was offered a new building and all the revenue from it other than UConn basketball. He said no and started looking around. He went to Columbus, which had no arena, and said he could play in an abandoned airplane hangar while a new arena was built. The media laughed at him and the league said no. After all they were going to get an expansion fee for Columbus. He went on a cross-country tour to find a new home for the team. He ended up in North Carolina where a new arena wa planned for Raleigh. He had to pay to make the arena usable for hockey instead of basketball only, and then he had to play in Greensboro for two years in front of empty seats and losing tens of millions of dollars while there. Any way you look at it, it was a bad business decision, but I'm sure he didn't think so at the time.

According to Forbes, the Hurricanes have the lowest secondary market prices in the league, an indicator of poor fan support:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/03/11/chicago-blackhawks-tickets-rise-for-2nd-half-of-nhl-season-while-anaheim-ducks-prices-sink/

So why did the team move? I wish I knew the real answer to that...

Edited by p4277

qOEg17Q.jpg

Very Classy...Are you so sure of this team's future in Raleigh that you can make remarks like this about Hartford? I hope you will keep your sense of humor if and when they end up moving somewhere else...

p4277, we have a couple of posters here that wake up with an umbrella open to keep the sky off their heads.

I'm sure those few will oblige your desire to have a misery-loves-company discussion about the plight of the poor Whalers franchise.

Give the rest of us a break and just drop it.  It's bad timing.

We have issues of our own.

Signed: Canes fan.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Very Classy...Are you so sure of this team's future in Raleigh that you can make remarks like this about Hartford? I hope you will keep your sense of humor if and when they end up moving somewhere else...

And classy of you to stop by and remind us that we should be happy to just have "your" team and shouldn't expect anything like playoffs.  We should just be happy with what we have.  Yeah, the Whalers had lean times too and your team left.  It was over an arena deal most likely.  At that time, the league was trying to drive teams south to build the brand.  That works if they are going to have an NFL form of revenue sharing, but not with what the NHL has.

Can I see the day that PK moves the Canes and blames the fans for poor support?  It could happen.

A pro team moves to new, non-traditional market and in the first decade has a SC appearance and a CUP?! Wow.  I can't think of any other pro franchise that has done that!

Colorado won their first year after moving from Quebec, after never winning a cup in Quebec.  I have no idea the reaction in Quebec, but it must have been legendary.  They also made the playoffs 10 straight and won the cup 2 times in their first 6 seasons!

I do agree with most of your points.  I do think the area could be considered a bit spoiled with sports success.  Perennial contenders in basketball and other collegiate sports as well.  Just not football :)

Edited by hag65