The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Give the C to Semin

The guy delivers goals when we need them most.  Meanwhile Eric is nowhere to be found just floating around going through the motions.  Semin delivers because he actually wants to win.  Give him the C!

right now, I would give the "C" to Stormy.  He seems to want to win and will not get put into the sin-bin for yapping back at the refs

If we were only going by on-ice considerations, Sekera deserves the "C", and its not really close.

Who knows how he is in the locker room. Personally, even if he was quiet I would make him the captain if his preparation and professionalism set the example.

Whatever the case, Eric doesn't deserve the "C", he is way too inconsistent with his effort and his pouting episodes are just sad. Its been that way for too long.

I agree. Sekera and Hainsey if he comes back. And let Malhotra keep an A if he comes back too. Semin has awesome talent, but less than 20 goals for $7 million does not make him a leader in my eyes. I hope their will be a new coach and all letters will have to be earned in camp next year.

I do think that Sekera and Hainsey would be good considerations for that.  I think they should send a message and take all letters tonight, and play the rest of the season without them.  Hell, they have played this much of the season without a leader, let's make it official!

To wear the C?

a. Must be able to speak the lang.

b. Play every game like its your last.

c. Be the mvp

d. Never hold your head down and pout

e. Stand up for your team mates

f. and once in a while when you head to the locker room after the game... touch some poor kids hand and act like you care....

Anybody else think his command of the English language might be a problem?

My 1st thought, coastal. Not only that, but I also question his 100% commitment.

more of a hockey rules question.  don't the "A" and the "C" indicate who is allowed to communicate with the refs?  If there are no captains, who acts in this role?

more of a hockey rules question.  don't the "A" and the "C" indicate who is allowed to communicate with the refs?  If there are no captains, who acts in this role?

That used to be the case, but everybody jaws at the refs now.  I like the idea of taking away all the letters for the rest of the year.

Raises hand.

I saw this thread earlier because it's more of the lather/rinse/repeat garbage that we have had.  I really don't see how changing the captain is going to magically change this team.  What I do think is that somebody on the team in a leadership role has to take on a more bombastic attitude.  Everybody is too even keeled.  This team needs a little cayenne pepper.

Edited by super_dave_1

The way I see it is Hainsey is the only one who deserves the C simply for standing up for Dobi in the Dallas game.  No one else has done that since I can remember.

To wear the C?

a. Must be able to speak the lang.

b. Play every game like its your last.

c. Be the mvp

d. Never hold your head down and pout

e. Stand up for your team mates

f. and once in a while when you head to the locker room after the game... touch some poor kids hand and act like you care....

Patrick Dwyer

Raises hand.

I saw this thread earlier because it's more of the lather/rinse/repeat garbage that we have had.  I really don't see how changing the captain is going to magically change this team.  What I do think is that somebody on the team in a leadership role has to take on a more bombastic attitude.  Everybody is too even keeled.  This team needs a little cayenne pepper.

Given a little bit of time we can teach Semin the finer points of hand gestures and two word phrases!

Eric is failed leader always has been.  Just because you put points on the board doesn't make you a leader (not that he does much of that).

If someone wears a C on the Canes they need to have more to offer than what Eric delivers which is just yapping and negative looks.  He's an introvert and I doubt he has anything in common with the younger guys like Skins, Lindy, Gerbe's etc.  They play well in spite of Eric.

A prototype Captain is a Jerome Iginla type player or David Backes (Blues Captain) who love the scrums, love to mix it up and will not hesitate to drop the gloves for a team mate or themselves.  I'm a former Marine and thats who I would want leading, not a pacifist like Eric.

At this point, I really don't know if we have anyone that deserves to wear a "C".

I totally agree!  I personally think both Staal's need to lose a letter and be put on the 3rd line. But, with all the money we have tied up in both of them, that's not feasible.

Muller should sit Eric (Healthy Scratch) for a few games and tell him he has to earn his time on the ice. I get so sick of seeing him float across the ice waiting for someone to set him up.  Earn your keep!!!

I think Jordan is shaping up to be a better leader than his bro---he has more of a personality for it----maybe his play

with the Pens schooled him a little. Think he needs to keep his letter. Re-sign Hainsey and give him a letter of some

kind ! Keep Manny and keep his A. Just my $.02      (Sekora is also high on my list--but aren't enough letters)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Eric didn't deserve the C back in 10 when they unjustly stripped Rod of it...and he sure as hell doesn't deserve it now.  He may be our biggest star, but he doesn't show the leadership worthy of the C.

I don't care who gets it at this point...I just want some consistent leadership by whomever gets it!

Yes, plus Alex doesn't bring it every night either. Alex also doesn't even want to do interviews. Alex would say no even if he was offered the C. My vote is a big NO for Semin for the C. Based on who we have today the only one who deserves the C based on play alone is Sekera. Not sure how he is in the locker room. Perhaps if we do a big shake up in the off season maybe the "New Guy" gets the C. JR stepping down as GM is a good first move.

Eric is failed leader always has been.  Just because you put points on the board doesn't make you a leader (not that he does much of that).

If someone wears a C on the Canes they need to have more to offer than what Eric delivers which is just yapping and negative looks.  He's an introvert and I doubt he has anything in common with the younger guys like Skins, Lindy, Gerbe's etc.  They play well in spite of Eric.

A prototype Captain is a Jerome Iginla type player or David Backes (Blues Captain) who love the scrums, love to mix it up and will not hesitate to drop the gloves for a team mate or themselves.  I'm a former Marine and thats who I would want leading, not a pacifist like Eric

A leader is someone that leads by example!  If E.Staal was my leader, I would beg for a transfer! 

I think Semin might be a bit of an exaggeration, but completely agree the C needs to change hands. I don't see any leadership from him, and he's way too big and skilled to be invisible on the ice so often. I think a new GM and coach is a great opportunity for a fresh start with Eric, take away the C, sit him down and let him know he has to earn every shift out there like the others, he isn't immune to sitting or being scratched. Some players react well to this and some blow up, but I think by now we need to take the chance because babying him doesn't pay off. Look at Patty Marleau in SJ, had the C taken a few years ago, but stayed with the team and has put up good numbers, earning back an A. Maybe Eric needs to get away from the leadership side and just focus on playing his game well.

Having said all that, I think Sekera would be a great choice for the captaincy, with Hainsey, Manny, and maybe even Gerbe for what he brings on ice being looked at as well.

True leaders will always emerge if allowed to.  If a change in leadership is what's needed, I would only assign the A's and let the true C of the team emerge on his own over time.

I will say this. Semin has downside. But the talent oozes off of him, and in general he makes guys around him better. 

There was a lot of drama about him being a coach killer and all of that, but remember we had him on the short contract before giving him the big one. And he's one guy. And some nights he's just about the only guy noticeable and making offensive plays.

He has the best plus minus on the team of guys who have been on this coaster for more than 25 games (second only to JML). 

Semin Plus 6

Skinner Minus 14 (worst on the team, just ahead of Erica at -12)

To the point of the thread, he is not wearing a letter. No one made him the leader.

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes that I don't know about. Semin is NOT the problem. 

Don't trade Semin. At least while we're losing games I'll have something to watch.

Edited by remkin