The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Give the C to Semin

Semin is the only player worth watching.  I am so upset with this team and am tired of always seeing Eric coasting out there.  He hwas done NOTHING as of late.  It is time to get him and his contract out of here.

True leaders will always emerge if allowed to.  If a change in leadership is what's needed, I would only assign the A's and let the true C of the team emerge on his own over time.

It is probably notable that of our leaders, really only Malhotra emerged. Eric was pre-ordained, and Jordan was crowned before he even got here.

Edited by remkin

Eric is failed leader always has been.  Just because you put points on the board doesn't make you a leader (not that he does much of that).

If someone wears a C on the Canes they need to have more to offer than what Eric delivers which is just yapping and negative looks.  

Not true! He ALSO takes dumb penalties.

I think Semin might be a bit of an exaggeration, but completely agree the C needs to change hands. I don't see any leadership from him, and he's way too big and skilled to be invisible on the ice so often. I think a new GM and coach is a great opportunity for a fresh start with Eric, take away the C, sit him down and let him know he has to earn every shift out there like the others, he isn't immune to sitting or being scratched. Some players react well to this and some blow up, but I think by now we need to take the chance because babying him doesn't pay off. Look at Patty Marleau in SJ, had the C taken a few years ago, but stayed with the team and has put up good numbers, earning back an A. Maybe Eric needs to get away from the leadership side and just focus on playing his game well.

Having said all that, I think Sekera would be a great choice for the captaincy, with Hainsey, Manny, and maybe even Gerbe for what he brings on ice being looked at as well.

Eric will never accept having the C taken away and remain on this team. He's too proud and a crybaby to boot. This is hockey, not football. You don't get to go hard for 10 seconds and stand around for 30. But that's what he's done ever since donning his Cup ring. A trade is the only answer, and after 8 years of baiting hooks in May instead of drawing penalties (with one exception) I say good riddance.

Eric will never accept having the C taken away and remain on this team. He's too proud and a crybaby to boot. This is hockey, not football. You don't get to go hard for 10 seconds and stand around for 30. But that's what he's done ever since donning his Cup ring. A trade is the only answer, and after 8 years of baiting hooks in May instead of drawing penalties (with one exception) I say good riddance.

Well he might, he might not. The main point is the team can't keep babying him and expect anything. I'd sit him down after the season and tell him the C is gone. If he loses it, he goes on the block right away and we aggressively shop him. If he can be talked into it, I give him time next season, see if his play changes and his numbers go up. Maybe he listens if its one of the all time great captains in Francis speaking to him. Blockbuster trades involving an underachiever with one of the highest salaries in the league aren't easy to pull off for a decent return, and trading for a bag of pucks leaves big holes in the roster that again aren't easy to fill. Guys like Toews don't grow on trees and are next to impossible to poach from other teams, so I'd be sure to have something pretty good lined up before trading him.

Well he might, he might not. The main point is the team can't keep babying him and expect anything. I'd sit him down after the season and tell him the C is gone. If he loses it, he goes on the block right away and we aggressively shop him. If he can be talked into it, I give him time next season, see if his play changes and his numbers go up. Maybe he listens if its one of the all time great captains in Francis speaking to him. Blockbuster trades involving an underachiever with one of the highest salaries in the league aren't easy to pull off for a decent return, and trading for a bag of pucks leaves big holes in the roster that again aren't easy to fill. Guys like Toews don't grow on trees and are next to impossible to poach from other teams, so I'd be sure to have something pretty good lined up before trading him.

Funny, you were posting this at the same time me and Mrs. Shelf were having the same conversation; let Ronnie explain his options and see how he reacts. That said, I'm not suggesting we'd get a Toews, but do think there are other scenarios that were available at the trade deadline which will still be there in the off-season. For example, Vancouver would likely jump at Kesler and Edler for Eric, Cam and a couple of throw-ins. Kesler is looking for a change of scene, and has history with Manny. That could prove a very very good thing. From Vancouver's side, Kesler is a couple years older than Eric, and a change of scene for Eric to a more demanding hockey market would force him to raise his game. Fan-wise Eric has had it very easy here, and the book on him is that when he is challenged he responds. Look at the mini-tear he went on when he didn't make the Olympic team. My guess is that JR has shielded him from such challenges from Carolina coaches; I was regularly posting on this board during the most recent Mo experiment that nothing short of benching Eric would wake him up, and I'd be willing to bet that Lavi and every coach since has been under orders from JR not to do so. I think JR (and Eric) has ridden the afterglow of the Cup win as long as they can, and that both realize they can no longer be more interested in having the guy with the C on the ice for the sake of the fans than in holding the guy with the C accountable.

To be clear, I would love for Eric to turn his career around (at this point his challenge is nothing less than that) and to do it here in Carolina. BUT resting on his laurels has to be over, and I think (hope) that once the off-ice leadership is comprised of three legit stars from the last generation of NHL players (Muller, Brindy, Francis) they will have no problem telling him so. Being a point-a-game guy on a team that seldom plays in May is no great achievement, and this year Eric's unlikely to achieve even that.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Funny, you were posting this at the same time me and Mrs. Shelf were having the same conversation; let Ronnie explain his options and see how he reacts. That said, I'm not suggesting we'd get a Toews, but do think there are other scenarios that were available at the trade deadline which will still be there in the off-season. For example, Vancouver would likely jump at Kesler and Edler for Eric, Cam and a couple of throw-ins. Kesler is looking for a change of scene, and has history with Manny. That could prove a very very good thing. From Vancouver's side, Kesler is a couple years older than Eric, and a change of scene for Eric to a more demanding hockey market would force him to raise his game. Fan-wise Eric has had it very easy here, and the book on him is that when he is challenged he responds. Look at the mini-tear he went on when he didn't make the Olympic team. My guess is that JR has shielded him from such challenges from Carolina coaches; I was regularly posting on this board during the most recent Mo experiment that nothing short of benching Eric would wake him up, and I'd be willing to bet that Lavi and every coach since has been under orders from JR not to do so. I think JR (and Eric) has ridden the afterglow of the Cup win as long as they can, and that both realize they can no longer be more interested in having the guy with the C on the ice for the sake of the fans than in holding the guy with the C accountable.

To be clear, I would love for Eric to turn his career around (at this point his challenge is nothing less than that) and to do it here in Carolina. BUT resting on his laurels has to be over, and I think (hope) that once the off-ice leadership is comprised of three legit stars from the last generation of NHL players (Muller, Brindy, Francis) they will have no problem telling him so. Being a point-a-game guy on a team that seldom plays in May is no great achievement, and this year Eric's unlikely to achieve even that.

Haha, well then I will say thank you to Mrs. Shelf and that great minds think alike. Toews was a pretty big name to throw out there, I just meant to make the point that a move won't be easy. I do agree with your point about a Kesler Edler trade, I have nothing to do with management and no idea if the GM's were talking about a deal such as this seriously, but yes I think that is a good option, and there many be others that are just as viable. You've definitely been following the team closely and posting for a lot longer than I have, and to hear of Eric's positive reaction to pressure is a good sign I believe. 

That makes it really confusing why JR would shield him from that pressure. Maybe he was just being a nice guy, but if you have a player that plays hard with pressure, I think you push him a lot more to get results. 

I'd love to see Eric succeed as a Cane as well, and basically I'm fine with either option to deal with him...as long as the team handles it correctly. I'm ok with trading Eric, IF you get players like Kesler and Edler that can contribute positively. I'm also ok with keeping him, again IF you can manage and motivate him to get solid results, including letting him know that he can and will be benched for underachieving. I totally agree that the time to rest on his laurels is long, long over, and I hope that this group of past leaders can demand more. The only thing I'm against it trading him "just to be rid of him", I really don't think that fixes anything or promises successful free agent signings. If there is a fair trade such as Kesler that can be made, I won't be against it.

The only thing I'm against it trading him "just to be rid of him", I really don't think that fixes anything or promises successful free agent signings.

Agree 100 percent. If we're not doing it to make the team better, it's better to remain mediocre than get worse still.

Anyone remember a Hall of Fame player who publicly stated how he wanted to play here and that this team can win? Then signed with New Jersey and led their team in points and goals and despite his "too old" age and his supposed regressing speed. Jaromir Jagr? Did we even try to sign him? I don't really know, but I'm *edit* sure that we wouldn't be looking around wishing we had someone somewhat resembling a captain. That would have been some awesome leadership. 

Anyone remember a Hall of Fame player who publicly stated how he wanted to play here and that this team can win? Then signed with New Jersey and led their team in points and goals and despite his "too old" age and his supposed regressing speed. Jaromir Jagr? Did we even try to sign him? I don't really know, but I'm *edit* sure that we wouldn't be looking around wishing we had someone somewhat resembling a captain. That would have been some awesome leadership. 

Actually, no.  I remember that a "top tier free agent" indicated he wanted to play here, along with some statements attributed to the mystery player, but that turned out to be Hainsey.  If Jagr publicly stated that he wanted to play here it went completely over my head.

Actually, no.  I remember that a "top tier free agent" indicated he wanted to play here, along with some statements attributed to the mystery player, but that turned out to be Hainsey.  If Jagr publicly stated that he wanted to play here it went completely over my head.

Actually yes, Jagr and Petr Svoboda Jagr's Agent confirmed the Hurricanes were among the few teams Jagr was interested in playing with this year. Guess it went over your head. Source. Source.

Actually yes, Jagr and Petr Svoboda Jagr's Agent confirmed the Hurricanes were among the few teams Jagr was interested in playing with this year. Guess it went over your head. Source. Source.

Your original question was "Anyone remember a Hall of Fame player. . ."  My response of "no" was correct because I didn't remember that. :P  

You're right in that the whole Jagr thing did go over my head, however.  Probably because at the time it never really seemed like a realistic option.  I'm almost positive that the the person Rutherford was referencing in the third paragraph in the article you cited (below) pertained to Hainsey, not Jagr.  (http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/21598-poll-who-do-you-think-was-the-original-mystery-big-name-player/)

"Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford stated in a radio interview on Tuesday that Carolina is still courting an "elite" level free agent who is willing to take less money on a one-year contract to play with the team. Rutherford expressed that he needs to move a player before making the prospective signing."

Although Jagr's agent did mention that the Canes were on his list, at that time we were up against the cap limit until we moved someone out (I think we had about $1.25m available).  And if mgmt knew Pits wouldn't be available (which I suspect likely), we were in desperate need of another defenseman once we did clear space (which turned out to be Hainsey).

I completely agree that the way things turned out Jagr could have been a piece that would have turned around our season. But I don't think it's fair to fault JR for not signing Jagr the way things looked at that time.    

E. Staal has been my favorite player for a long time. That said, there is no denying he has underachieved for the last several years, and especially since he got the C. This year's numbers speak volumes. If we are going to trade him we need to do it now. If a fair return can be had and if we can keep Jordan, I think it may be time. Eric has 2 years left on his contract. As that winds down he becomes harder to move. And if we wanted to extend or re-sign him, what would be fair compensation? 17 goals and 56 points sure do not justify anything close to what he is making now. Unless he really turns his game around, I would see us losing him for nothing in 2 years. Best case scenario, he stays and lights it up next year so we can justify paying to keep him. That is not where the trend says we are heading though.

I completely agree that the way things turned out Jagr could have been a piece that would have turned around our season. But I don't think it's fair to fault JR for not signing Jagr the way things looked at that time.    

I don't know, the one remaining piece that JR himself as well as me and 4/5ths of this board thought we needed was a solid veteran leadership buy who was gritty but could score.

Jagr may not be a hitter, but he is tough on the boards and could have brought a lot.

I'm not just blaming JR for not getting Jagr, but he also didn't get Morrow or any other of a group of guys who really might have been key to a better season. 

We may have needed more than one piece, but to be honest, IMHO put Jagr on this team, add his points, and especially his impact on the PP? It might have changed things more than one thinks.

Jagr, Morrow, etc...

Failing to check the box on that self-identified need is on JR.

I don't disagree at all that Jagr might have made a huge difference to the Canes this year.  But my question is this: logistically, how would we have gotten him (or someone like Morrow)? Defense seemed to be the consensus #1 priority this offseason and we had to "move someone" (which turned out to be Pits going on LTIR) before we could even fit Hainsey (at $2m) under the cap. By the time Pitkanen went on LTIR, Jagr had long ago signed with the Devils (July 23rd?, also at $2m).

Granted, that lack of cap space was of JRs making, but I'd attribute it to earlier big $ contracts than anything he did this past off season.