The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

Well I think it is that time again for us to speculate our team's draft possibility.

As of today, we are slated to pick 6th or 7th.

Here is the ranking of the TOP 30:

1.Sam Reinhart (CENTER)
2.Aaron Ekblad (DEFENSEMAN)
3.Sam Bennett (CENTER)
4.Leon Draisaitl (LEFT WING)
5.Michael Dal Colle (LEFT WING)
6.Brendan Perlini (LEFT WING)
7.Nikolaj Ehlers (LEFT WING)
8.Jared McCann (CENTER)
9.Adrian Kempe (LEFT WING)
10.Haydn Fleury (DEFENSEMAN)
11.David Pastrnak (RIGHT WING)
12.Anthony DeAngelo (DEFENSEMAN)
13.William Nylander (LEFT WING)
14.Kasperi Kapanen (RIGHT WING)
15.Nick Ritchie (LEFT WING)
16.Ivan Barbashev (CENTER/LEFT WING)
17.Julius Honka (DEFENSEMAN)
18.Sonny Milano (LEFT WING)
19.Dylan Larkin (CENTER)
20.Josh Ho Sang (CENTER/RIGHT WING)
21.Nikita Scherbak (LEFT WING)
22.Nick Schmaltz (CENTER)
23.Connor Bleackley (RIGHT WING)
24.Brayden Point (CENTER)
25.Vlad Kamenev (CENTER)
26.Josh Jacobs (DEFENSEMAN)
27.Alex Tuch (RIGHT WING)
28.Nikolay Goldobin (LEFT WING)
29.Anton Karlsson (RIGHT WING)
30.Alex Nedeljkovic (GOALIE)

1.Sam Reinhart (CENTER)
3.Sam Bennett (CENTER)

Any of these top 6 would be great additions.  Perlini is big, but soft.  Ehlers is small, but he has huge upside.  Draisaitl has a ton of skill and a bit of nasty.  He would be the guy I would target.

i still can't believe josh ho-sang is ranked 20th in this years draft , the kid has all the tools you want out of a player, play making ability , scorers touch ,  puck handling skills , offense and defense awareness    and the only reason why i assume he is ranked 20th  is because of his size and weight , which would need time to develop  and grow  bigger .  as for the others in this year , the only player that is nhl ready is aaron ekblad ,   sam reinhart is good  maybe a year or two  away from making the league .   william nylander is a stronger scorer  who will have and upside  in the future as a top talent .  leon draisaitl is a good talent in the future  but he needs to work on his offense and defensive side of his game for reading the ice .   hayden fleury  is a solid two way defense man who could help out on the power play and penalty kill in the future ,  anthony deangelo is decent on defense  but reminds me a lot of scott stevens ,   as for michael dal colle   has a good frame , wont be nhl ready for some years but has potential to elevate his game if he works on a few things . nick ritchie  certainly dropped in rankings last time i saw him,  he would of been the kinda player rutherford would of gone after if we had been given a trade but stayed in the first round to pick this kid up .  and then you have kasperi kapenen , quick like his dad , plays a more fundamental game than his dad , more potential on offense than his dad but not as a fast skater like his dad was .   as for everyone else , i don't know much about  but thats the guys i know some what about ,  if i had to say who i love to see come to the canes its a three way tie between nylander  hosang and ekblad   but i know we are not getting any of these guys 

but on a side note  :  one last thing in terms of the draft for 2015 .... i don't care what it takes but i want the carolina hurricanes to do everything in their power to tank that season , i would support the canes  100% if they tanked for next year  if we got the first over all first  round pick because it would be worth it  , and that reason why is , connor mcdavid !!!!  if the canes landed the mcdavid  pick   then we as canes  fans can turn the page on the history books and be looking at a nhl team that will win a stanley cup/s  and more games being  broadcast  on nbc !!!! the kid is compared to crosby and hope to the hockey gods we get him !!!

Edited by Canesfanforever

leon draisaitl is a good talent in the future  but he needs to work on his offense and defensive side of his game for reading the ice .  

He has 38 goals and 67 assists for Prince Albert this season.  He also has 4 goals and 8 assists in 12 career world junior games.  I'm not sure about his defense, but his offense seems to be there...

If you are looking for pure skill, Nikolaj Ehlers is the man.  He does need some time to grow a bit, but his skill is rediculous.  I won't post all the stats, but I will share a couple write ups:

Nikolaj Ehlers's Player Profile

"An incredibly skilled forward, Ehlers makes plays at high speeds and doesn’t mind going to the tough areas in order to score. Scouts see him as an excellent complementary player and have even hesitantly brought up teammate Jonathan Drouin as a comparable, as lofty as that sounds. While playing for Biel last year, he even got to practise with locked-out NHL stars Tyler Seguin and Patrick Kane. And along with getting the Mooseheads back to the Memorial Cup for a title defense, Ehlers will be counted on at the world juniors next season with Denmark.

In the past 12 months or so, he helped the Danes get up to the top bracket at both the under-18s and the world juniors; an obvious point of pride for him."

From Ryan Kennedy in a The Hockey News 'NHL prospect hot list' post - March 4th

Imported from Denmark, Ehlers has replaced the scoring void quite nicely after Nathan MacKinnon made the leap to the Colorado Avalanche. Like his predecessor in Halifax, Ehlers is one of the fastest skaters in the draft, blazing past defenders and utilizing his dynamic elusive cuts in and out of traffic to create room. The depth of intelligence Ehlers possesses for the game allows him to adopt both a shooter and playmaker’s mentality. Rising up draft boards quickly.

Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Feb. 16th

I'll give you one thing, Nikolaj Ehlers was a dark horse coming into this draft, slotted to be a second round choice at the beginning of this season. Now he's gaining serious consideration, and a likelihood, of getting picked in the top ten of this year's 2014 NHL Entry Draft. The correct pronunciation of this offensive dynamo's name is ("Nick-oh-LIE" "EEL-hers"). He hails from Denmark and played in the Swiss Men's League in Biel posting strong numbers like 12 points in 2 games and 8 points in 2 games at the age of 14. He is by far the fastest player in the draft, and faster than almost all of the players in last year's draft, which sets him apart by a huge margin. He's had his speed compared to that of Pavel Bure and his style of offensive play compared to Peter Forsberg - something which scouts may well use to further back their opinions of Ehlers as being one of the most dynamic players in this year's draft. He has voiced his want and need to gain size, particularly to about 185-190lbs, so he knows exactly what he needs to work on, where his goals lie, and how he will get there. He has an absolute laser of a wrist shot; an accurate rocket that he snaps off at top speed. He plays for the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. He's 5'11 and about 175 lbs so the same size of William Nylander. The thing that is going to make him a special player in the future is that he's a leader. He played with the Dallas Stars' Tyler Seguin and the Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane during the NHL lockout, and learned amazing english and a very unselfish style of play from them during that time. He sees the ice with an uncanny eye and makes plays for the team, not himself. If there is a tiny slit in the defense, he's already slid through it and scored on the goalie before you can blink. He works the hardest out of most of the players on the team, first to get to training last to leave. Vancouver Canucks fans have already dubbed him "The Electric Ehl" due to his electrifying, explosive style of play.

Well, we are doing a pretty good job of moving up the list here, and I'm OK with that trend  :crossfingers:

1.Sam Reinhart (CENTER)
3.Sam Bennett (CENTER)

Any of these top 6 would be great additions.  Perlini is big, but soft.  Ehlers is small, but he has huge upside.  Draisaitl has a ton of skill and a bit of nasty.  He would be the guy I would target.

I don't know about Ehlers. Always nice to add skill, especially with huge upside, but I wonder how well another small skilled forward fits on this team. Draisaitl seems like he would be a great addition. Good size, talent, and definitely plays with a bit of an edge. I think he compliments Lindholm and Skinner really well also, hope he is available.

I like Nick Ritchie and wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to move up the the rankings going forward.  Not saying that's who we should pick mind you, but I hope he is on our radar.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/2/18/5414604/nick-ritchie-nhl-draft-2014-profile

It's funny because in past years I've really wanted us to pick as high as possible once it became obvious we were out. Yet somehow can't find the enthusiasm yet.

Still, I really like that tape. Not a razzle-dazzle guy, but a big body, decent skater, has some grit and what a shot. This guy could give Semin and Skinner a run for their sniping money, plays with his head up and makes some nice passes too.

Put him with Linholm, could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

It's funny because in past years I've really wanted us to pick as high as possible once it became obvious we were out. Yet somehow can't find the enthusiasm yet.

Still, I really like that tape. Not a razzle-dazzle guy, but a big body, decent skater, has some grit and what a shot. This guy could give Semin and Skinner a run for their sniping money, plays with his head up and makes some nice passes too.

Put him with Linholm, could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

We need another power forward badly IMO, so that's what I'm looking for in this draft (if I were picking, which I'm not).  Ritchie fits that search image.

1.Sam Reinhart (CENTER)

3.Sam Bennett (CENTER)

Perlini completely disappeared down the stretch and in the playoffs.  I would stay away from him!  We need to win the lottery and pick up Ekblad.  If not, I hope a couple of teams pick off the standard board so we can get Draisaitl!

Ehlers is crushing it in the playoffs!  I think he might go higher than projected!

As long as we pick in the top 6, there should be an outstanding player available.  Unlike last year, I think Ekblad is probably the only one that is NHL ready so I hope we are not counting on our pick contributing in 2014-15.

well I believe the best draft position the Canes can get is 4th (if NYI gets the tie breaker over the Canes) going into the lotto draw.  That is if the Canes lose their last 3 and the Islanders and Flames win out.  

The worst draft position going into the draw is 13th based on the Canes winning every game and the random outcomes of those around them.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Well, looks like this team will be picking 6 or 7, not a bad spot, maybe a Ritchie or Fleury. Or,maybe this is the year we are finally due to win the lottery  :crossfingers:

Well, not a lot of positives to discuss here these days and much of the same conversation over and over, sooo... Anyone want to play a game of "if the Canes win the lottery, who should they pick?"

OK, Canucks lost yesterday, so our pick comes down to today.

Need Canucks to win and Canes to lose.  Here are the scenarios.

Canes #7 Pick:

Canes win - Canucks win

Canes win - Canucks OT loss

Canes win - Canucks loss

Canes OT loss - Canucks loss

Canes OT loss - Canucks OT loss

Canes loss -  Canucks loss

Canes #6 pick:

Canes OT loss - Canucks win

Canes loss - Canucks win

Canes loss - Canucks OT loss

Nothing's guaranteed persons.  Remember the NHL changed their lottery system so now everyone who didn't make the playoffs have a chance to get the 1st overall pick.  I'm not counting my chickens til they hatch.

is it certain that pitkanen , hainsey , harrison  and komisarek  is coming back next year ?  

Not Pitkanen or Komisarek.

If Kapanen can run the power play like his father than I'll take him.

Edited by winger52

OK, looks like #7... unless the Canes win the lottery or someone else lower wins the lottery.  Both unlikely, but not impossible.

OK, looks like #7... unless the Canes win the lottery or someone else lower wins the lottery.  Both unlikely, but not impossible.

i know im going to get a lot of flack for this but if the canes won the lottery  , we should go after aaron ekblad ,  solid defense , most nhl ready player in this years draft and will be a great addition to the canes d-core  for many many years , even possible permanent cane  till he retires .  thats how good he is , some say ekblad is better than seth jones , others say jones is or was better than  ekblad , the one thing is for sure  the canes need to pick up the defense because as good as khudobin or ward is , we need someone to step up and get that puck out of our zone !!!  if we were not going for ekblad  than possible reinhart  would be a good choice 

Back to this again? Arrrrrrrrrgh.

One decent goalie in net for Philly last night away from picking #6. Gotta hand it to Vancouver though, just a few weeks ago they were picking #10, now just edged us for #6. They had the exact same record, but are listed as finishing below us.

OK #7. The Skinner slot. Still should get a very good player.

What I'm reading suggest that the consensus top players end at #5, so #6 vs #7 probably not that big of a deal (unless 6 wins the lottery).

Time to start researching the prospects. 

At the moment I am intrigued with Coastal's suggestion:

From the Hockey Writers Mock Draft:

Carolina Hurricanes – RW Nick Ritchie The Hurricanes are set at center with Eric & Jordan Staal. Jeff Skinner and Elias Lindholm are going to be some smaller skilled forwards long-term for the Ron Francis and co. What they don’t have is a big rangy winger that can crash and bang. Ritchie fits what the Hurricanes are missing up front and what they lost when they move Tuomo Ruutu. Long term Ritchie can be a decent power forward playing next to either of the Staal’s not named Jared.

But there are other good ones. 

Still.....argggggggh.

And if this is our guy and Vancouver picks him...double arrrgggggh.

Edited by remkin

Back to this again? Arrrrrrrrrgh.

One decent goalie in net for Philly last night away from picking #6. Gotta hand it to Vancouver though, just a few weeks ago they were picking #10, now just edged us for #6. They had the exact same record, but are listed as finishing below us.

OK #7. The Skinner slot. Still should get a very good player.

What I'm reading suggest that the consensus top players end at #5, so #6 vs #7 probably not that big of a deal (unless 6 wins the lottery).

Time to start researching the prospects. 

At the moment I am intrigued with Coastal's suggestion:

From the Hockey Writers Mock Draft:

Carolina Hurricanes – RW Nick Ritchie The Hurricanes are set at center with Eric & Jordan Staal. Jeff Skinner and Elias Lindholm are going to be some smaller skilled forwards long-term for the Ron Francis and co. What they don’t have is a big rangy winger that can crash and bang. Ritchie fits what the Hurricanes are missing up front and what they lost when they move Tuomo Ruutu. Long term Ritchie can be a decent power forward playing next to either of the Staal’s not named Jared.

But there are other good ones. 

Still.....argggggggh.

And if this is our guy and Vancouver picks him...double arrrgggggh.

He's in the red in this video. He can scrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUoai-pCpK0

Here is another. Destroys a guy on the boards and then backs it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUZgLsIPMU#t=42

It'd be weird to finally have a guy like him.

Edited by TheFaulker

i still can't believe josh ho-sang is ranked 20th in this years draft , the kid has all the tools you want out of a player, play making ability , scorers touch ,  puck handling skills , offense and defense awareness    and the only reason why i assume he is ranked 20th  is because of his size and weight , which would need time to develop  and grow  bigger .  as for the others in this year , the only player that is nhl ready is aaron ekblad ,   sam reinhart is good  maybe a year or two  away from making the league .   william nylander is a stronger scorer  who will have and upside  in the future as a top talent .  leon draisaitl is a good talent in the future  but he needs to work on his offense and defensive side of his game for reading the ice .   hayden fleury  is a solid two way defense man who could help out on the power play and penalty kill in the future ,  anthony deangelo is decent on defense  but reminds me a lot of scott stevens ,   as for michael dal colle   has a good frame , wont be nhl ready for some years but has potential to elevate his game if he works on a few things . nick ritchie  certainly dropped in rankings last time i saw him,  he would of been the kinda player rutherford would of gone after if we had been given a trade but stayed in the first round to pick this kid up .  and then you have kasperi kapenen , quick like his dad , plays a more fundamental game than his dad , more potential on offense than his dad but not as a fast skater like his dad was .   as for everyone else , i don't know much about  but thats the guys i know some what about ,  if i had to say who i love to see come to the canes its a three way tie between nylander  hosang and ekblad   but i know we are not getting any of these guys 

but on a side note  :  one last thing in terms of the draft for 2015 .... i don't care what it takes but i want the carolina hurricanes to do everything in their power to tank that season , i would support the canes  100% if they tanked for next year  if we got the first over all first  round pick because it would be worth it  , and that reason why is , connor mcdavid !!!!  if the canes landed the mcdavid  pick   then we as canes  fans can turn the page on the history books and be looking at a nhl team that will win a stanley cup/s  and more games being  broadcast  on nbc !!!! the kid is compared to crosby and hope to the hockey gods we get him !!! 

Tell the season  ticket  holders you want the team to tank next year, seriously, i dont think someone is a true fan when they make these, lets say  remarks... :thumbdown:

Just got word they're going to release the draft order tomorrow night.

The draft lottery is on NHL Network (via TSN) tomorrow at around 8:30pm I believe.

I have my DVR set to record.

Sorry I don't have the exact time. It's a shame this is what we have to look forward to but...