The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

Thanks rem, I thought it was pretty cool as well.  I just wish there were additional sources for info like this than just the one guy.

One thing that jumped out at me from the lists was that Dal Colle made the top 10 in 4 of the 6 lists, more than anybody else on the board.  I'm really hoping he somehow falls to the 7th spot.

Ritchie: big potential but bigger risk than I'd like to take with the #7 pick.  Imo, given his size, if he was all that great he'd be a consensus top 3 pick in this years draft.

Ehlers: would love to have that firepower, but given that we've already got Skinner, and that I see Ehlers as being NHL ready about the same time as I'm hoping Tolchinsky is, don't know that we'll have a spot for another small forward.  OPn the other hand, I've seen multiple scouts state that he plays big (whatever that means), and at 5'11", 19 yo, he still might fill out to be "not small". But still, a different kind of risk than Ritchie.

I'm hoping Dal Colle or trade down to get Fleury+, otherwise Virtanen if he's still available.   

Edited by LakeLivin

Well I'm watching the draft a bit later on a DVR tape delay, so I'm bugging out for now. Should be interesting!

I guess any immediate help will come from trades or free agency. I think immediate improvement needs to happen this year. After five years of no playoffs, I'm not sure how patient the fans are going to be.

Well I'm watching the draft a bit later on a DVR tape delay, so I'm bugging out for now. Should be interesting!

You still run tape?  :)

Well I am also fine with this pick. I wanted Virtanen, but he went ahead of us. Ritchie ended up sliding down a bit from his rumored late rise so I feel a bit better about not getting him. Nylander is off the charts offensively but small and questionable d zone play. Ehlers is amazing but I loved the comment "He has to put on 20 pounds to be small." 

Fleury had some really loving him. I didn't realize he was 17, that is actually a good thing long term, because as much as Ekblad was consensus #1 dman, Fleury was consensus #2 dman w/ some actually giving him upside as good or better than Ekblad. Just about every seriously good team has a seriously #1 dman. I love Faulk and he absolutely could become that, and I love Sekera, but Fleury could be a true, big #1 Dman. 

Now that we picked him I will revive this quote I found:

Gus Katsaros at Rotoworld says about Fleury: "I happen to think his upside is as good as Ekblad's. Watch him be a steal on draft day"

searched my posts for Fleury, hence the highlight, but the quote was the key.

I wonder if we could have traded down and gotten him, but gotta think this was our guy and the trade down wasn't really an option.

Too bad we were the first of the non interviews on the TV coverage. But then again those interviews didn't really reveal much.

It is a pick of a GM looking down the road and building a team over time. 

Will be interesting to see our second rounder. 

I'm good with this pick given our position.

Edited by remkin