The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

5 more things on Fleury.

People wanted to get bigger. By my look there were only 3 guys significantly bigger in the first round.

From the website write up:

Additionally, the 6-foot-3, 203-pound defenseman finished at a team-high plus-15 on a Red Deer squad that had a minus-10 goal differential.

Craig Button had Fleury ranked as the 7th best player in the draft.

And from the Pronman ratings Lake provided:

Fleury was the #7 skater in the entire draft and the #1 best skating D man.

Fleury was the #4 physical game, #2 physical d man, more for winning battles than big hits, but still, winning battles has been an issue.

Francis was on hand for the World U-18s when Fleury was chosen best defenseman.

I think we will look back in a few years and smile at this pick.

Edited by remkin

I am doubting he survives the next 6 picks, but at the moment the consensus #1 goalie Thatcher Demko is still on the board for the second round...

Very pleased with the Fleury pick.

A big, good-skating defenseman who can actually play defense.

In a sense he is the anti-Cane........and its about time.

Coastal, what about the Larsson kid? BTW, love the Fleury pick! Had to depend on friends to update me, as my wife slotted us going to opening night of Horn In The West. Her cousin is in the cast, Was great, but would have rather been at the draft party.

That should have read KARLSSON, Why does this darn spell check PRESUME it knows proper names better than a user?

While initially upset that we didn't choose Ritchie... Long-term this makes sense. We are lacking in D MEN prospects and I am a firm believer that if you build a team that has a solid blue line then you will make the playoffs more times than not. Use Nashville as a prime example.

This was a smart pick and I hope it pays dividends 3-4 years from now.

Demko would be a steal, but I bet he goes ahead of us. GM's just hate taking goalies until they have a pick in their pockets. But we can hope...

Love to see us take Thatcher Demko with the #37 if he is there. :crossfingers:

If that were to happen, it would definitely prove that the new boss is different from the old boss.  I'm all for that.  While I am all for fixing the team in Raleigh, that can't happen without fixing the team in Charlotte.  You build from the bottom up and it looks like Ronnie is pouring the foundation.  I like.

On Fleury, he's 17 years old and 6'3", 207 lbs and can skate.  That is going to be a man-mountain clearing the crease in 2 or 3 years. 

On the warm welcome Brindy got, it made me giggle like a little school girl.  Definitely a feel good moment, and you could tell that it got to him also.

Edited by super_dave_1

My favorite part of the draft was when Brindy was cheered on by flyer fans.  That kind of gave me chills.

Especially since Philly fans booed just about everything else that came within 3 feet of that podium.

Kapanen at #22 for the Pens seems like a steal to me.  He was the only player other than Dal Colle that scored in the top 10 on 4 out of 6 of Pronman's skills lists.  I wonder if there might have been a bit of reverse psychology effect in play there? I.e., I wonder if some teams were so afraid of being overly positively influenced by his bloodlines that it turned out to be a bit of a negative instead? 

For me -

Demko (probably won't happen)

Lemieux (bloodlines and very hard to play against)

Followed closely by:

Karlsson

Barbeshev

Cornel

Hmmm. McDonnald just went first goalie. Demko still there. Lemieux and Barbeshev gone.

If the Canes agree w/ you should be able to get one on your list.

And just as I type Canes miss out on Demko but still pick a goalie:

Nedlejkovic. Not the biggest guy. Anyone know him?

OHL Goaltender of the Year......Plymouth Whalers

Francis addressing organizational needs.  Very refreshing.

Backstopped the USA u18 squad that Francis watched. 

Keep building that foundation.  Lemieux would have been nice too.  He plays the game that the Canes need, but the Sabres thought the same way.  I'm very happy with RF's work thus far.

What I am finding interesting that the NHL Network crew is saying most of these players won't see the NHL for a couple seasons.

Francis is trying to build the future and our farm system, which we've neglected for a while now. Build your team from within.

Ya, love Khudini, but he's on a two year deal and he is not proven over a long stretch. Need some goalies in the wings.

There was a bit of a run on goalies there. But picking one high in the second should suggest he's got serious upside.

I like the Fluery pick. We need big defensemen in our system and we got supposedly the best one outside of Ekblad. Plus looking at his highlights he has a pretty accurate shot. I'm glad we took a D-man first this year and not another Center.

Also, Fluery like most of our recent picks seemed excited to be taken by us, which is important for us. Just a minor observation but there were a few draftees, Michael Dal Colle in particular who didn't look too thrilled to be joining the team that picked them.

This was a bad pick.  A goalie in the 2nd round?  We keep the Plymouth pipeline going.  I am not happy about this one to be honest.  We already have a great goalie prospect....

This was a bad pick.  A goalie in the 2nd round?  We keep the Plymouth pipeline going.  I am not happy about this one to be honest.  We already have a great goalie prospect....

I'll wait 10 minutes until you change your mind again. :rolleyes: