The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

Apparently Washington wanted to draft Hadyn Fleury.  They tried to trade up, I don't know if it was with us, but the team they wanted to trade with thought the 13th pick was too far back.

Yes.  I guess you can never have too many goalies.  But we are lacking in both Forward and D man prospects....

We have a decent amount of forward prospects, they just don't all play in Charlotte.

The thing is he is not size able like we have seen the recent trend in goalies.  I would love a goalie prospect that had the frame like Bishop/  Maybe that is just a pipe dream though.  The guy is only 5.11....

Yes.  I guess you can never have too many goalies.  But we are lacking in both Forward and D man prospects....

Our forward prospects are deeper than goalie or d man prospects at this point. Great 2 picks by Ronnie. Fluery is going to be a brick s house in two years. Nedlejkovic OHL goalie of the year. D man and goalies are the foundation of growth within. I like both of these moves. Yes we have an immediate need at the top six forwards,but that is not what the draft is about. Let's see what Ronnie can do for our immediate needs down the road.

What I am finding interesting that the NHL Network crew is saying most of these players won't see the NHL for a couple seasons.

Francis is trying to build the future and our farm system, which we've neglected for a while now. Build your team from within.

Yes, desite the talk of Fleury having a shot to make the team, I think that all of our picks from this years draft will need a couple of years or more to develop, which is fine.

This year's needs will need to be met w/ trade/FA.

Man these rounds go fast.

Just picked Warre Foegle, LW third round.

Edited by remkin

Apparently kind of came out of nowhere and got a lot of attention in January as that article said.

Best line from that article;

Some scouts have been buzzing about his play of late, a fast-skating, hard-working, two-way left winger.

Edited by remkin

Apparently kind of came out of nowhere and got a lot of attention in January as that article said.

Best line from that article;

Some scouts have been buzzing about his play of late, a fast-skating, hard-working, two-way left winger.

Training with Gary Roberts doesn't hurt either.

Just picked Glen Wesley's son (Josh)in the 4th round (#96)!

Also picked Lucas Wallmark in the 4th round (#97).

Edited by hopper915

Just picked Glen Wesley's son (Josh)in the 4th round (#96)!

The Canes main site has this on the "live draft blog"

Josh Welsey (D), Plymouth Whalers

Can't even spell the name right on the son of a player whose sweater hangs in the rafters and is working in management.  Priceless.

The Canes main site has this on the "live draft blog"

Josh Welsey (D), Plymouth Whalers

Can't even spell the name right on the son of a player whose sweater hangs in the rafters and is working in management.  Priceless.

someone from the Canes' marketing department must have made the post

Best pick of today was the Swede.  Wallmark.  Check this guy out.  I am excited,  I also really like Bishop.  This guy is fast and stout and will one day make an awesome 4th line banger.  All in all I am happy.  I just wish we went with a little bit more size.  But then again we didn't draft any smurfs this year so.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/6/16/5808542/clark-bishop-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

Edited by bluedevil58

Well, right now our goalie depth

1. Khudobin
  2. Ward
  3. Muse
  4. Deckart
  5. Cann(Everblades)  We need some more(and better) dpeth at that posstion.

Waiting for Josh Wesley to say "Dad, if I make the team, can I have my old room back?"

Edited by g105

Well, right now our goalie depth

1. Khudobin
  2. Ward
  3. Muse
  4. Deckart
  5. Cann(Everblades)  We need some more(and better) dpeth at that posstion.

What?

Our depth is Altshuller.

He's the only guy signed to a Canes ELC that's even a prospect or in the organization

That's why we drafted a goalie in the second round for goodness sake.

Pay attention.  :) 

I'm fine with the Fleury pick. Was disappointed at first since I wanted a forward but not many 17 year olds that are 6'3" 200+ pounds can skate like him. Lots of potential there while still being a generally safe pick.

Best pick of today was the Swede.  Wallmark.  Check this guy out.  I am excited,  I also really like Bishop.  This guy is fast and stout and will one day make an awesome 4th line banger.  All in all I am happy.  I just wish we went with a little bit more size.  But then again we didn't draft any smurfs this year so.

Not sure where you get "fast" or 4th line banger" from. Unless you're talking about Bishop who could potentially become a speedy 4th liner one day.

But I really love the Wallmark selection. He was passed over last year to the surprise of many much like Tolchinsky. He's not a good skater at all. But he is supremely skilled. Great playmaker with plenty of smarts much like Lindholm. He was also a teammate of Lindholm and Erik Karlsson at the World Juniors where he had 8pts in 7 games. He's playing in the SHL next year. If he can continue to work on his awkward skating stride he could become a contributor. Good value pick in the 4th.

Edited by staalsy

What?

Our depth is Altshuller.

He's the only guy signed to a Canes ELC that's even a prospect or in the organization

That's why we drafted a goalie in the second round for goodness sake.

Pay attention.  :)

Well I was thinking Organizational depth, But you made the point why it was even more important to draft a goalie.  :)

Quite a spread from the press/bloggers on grading the Hurricanes draft. I read three reviews and the grades were B, B-, and D. The Bleacher Report gave the D mainly criticizing the goalie pick in the second (but a bit heaped on the first round pick as well) saying there was just too much offensive talent that could make an immediate impact for the Canes to pass up, and the Canes need immediate help.

I'm at peace with the D-man pick, but understand the criticism--and have some myself--of the goalie pick. As they say, "time will tell"!

Quite a spread from the press/bloggers on grading the Hurricanes draft. I read three reviews and the grades were B, B-, and D. The Bleacher Report gave the D mainly criticizing the goalie pick in the second (but a bit heaped on the first round pick as well) saying there was just too much offensive talent that could make an immediate impact for the Canes to pass up, and the Canes need immediate help.

I'm at peace with the D-man pick, but understand the criticism--and have some myself--of the goalie pick. As they say, "time will tell"!

While I read Bleacher Report, it isn't exactly "hard journalism".  The recap of the Canes draft that questions a goalie pick states that we have 3 goalies at the NHL level.  While the squad carried 3 last year, it was only because they couldn't send one down.  There is nobody in Charlotte (see Rick DiPietro tryout).  The criticism on selecting a d-man when there was offensive talent available is short sighted too.  While I would have been happy with selecting Ritchie,  I'll never gripe about taking a d-man that isn't a reach.  While he will not be an immediate impact (which is the writer's issue), he addresses an organizational need just like taking a goalie.

Ron Francis is taking a different route towards building this team.  He is starting with the foundation rather than picking out drapes.  I like this.  A change of coaches and a couple of player additions that fill needs may be enough to make this team competitive.  Drafting a couple of forwards with those first two picks was not going to suddenly make this team a Stanley Cup contender this year.  Drafting in the NHL requires looking down the road a few years.

For what it's worth:

Goalie: The plan is clearly to move Cam out. Peters was not resigned at this point. Altshuller seems like a nice prospect, but there is a reason GM's don't like to take goalies in the first round: they are the hardest to predict how NHL good they'll be. Peters was the last guy we took high up (for a goalie). He was taken in almost exactly the same position #38 Peters vs #37 Nedeljkovic. For a goalie taken in that slot a team is expecting a guy who delivers at the NHL level. Peters has had some really nice runs, but on balance has not panned out. He still might, but not for us. 

We took two goalies in 2012, but 3rd and 6th round: Altshuller and Olson. Goalies can really surprise and who knows with Olsen, but 6th round..clearly Altshuller is the top prospect, but even then, 3rd round.

We will undoubtably look to the FA glut of goalies or get one back in a Cam trade, to fill our back up, because there is no one in the pipeline that seems NHL ready. The checkers played 9 goalies last year. The two biggest minute eaters John Muse and Mike Murphy. Murphy's numbers: uggghhh. Save % .881. Muse a bit better, but nothing to write home about.

Goalie is the most important position on the ice. No one goes deep into the playoffs with weak goaltending. We are poised to trade our franchise goalie and let it all ride on Khudini. I am a true Khudini believer. But we also played a lot of goalies last year, and goalies can be up and down. If we do indeed trade Ward, and pick up a journeyman type back up to Khudini, we need some future goalies cooking.

Lastly teams with good prospect goalie gluts are not in a bad position as they can trade someone. Teams with weak goalie and goalie pipelines pick high in the draft until they find one.

And I didn't just come to this opinion since we made this pick. I suggested it in a post before the draft. 

We may need a goalie of the future in a few years, and our goalie prospect cupboard is thin. Having at least two guys fight for it is the way to do it. That was a good pick. 

Edited by remkin

From the Canes article about Fleury:

"Additionally, the 6-foot-3, 203-pound defenseman finished at a team-high plus-15 on a Red Deer squad that had a minus-10 goal differential and failed to qualify for the postseason."

I like the sound of that.  A d-man who's making a difference.  If I did my ciphering correctly, when Fleury wasn't on the ice, Red Deer was -25.  When he was on the ice they were +15.  Of course, all of that can't be attributed just to Fleury, but still . . .

Edited by LakeLivin