The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

The draft lottery is on NHL Network (via TSN) tomorrow at around 8:30pm I believe.

I have my DVR set to record.

Sorry I don't have the exact time. It's a shame this is what we have to look forward to but...

Yep, Kyrule, how pathetic have we become that the season "highlight" has become looking forward to the draft lottery? Bound to be a hidden message in there somewhere??

The draft lottery last year had a bunch of GM's sitting around chewing their finger nails.

I'll watch again just to see who shows up in our chair.

Probably will be a different format though.

Tell the season  ticket  holders you want the team to tank next year, seriously, i dont think someone is a true fan when they make these, lets say  remarks... :thumbdown:

the season ticket holders  if they had any sense for that year would sit the season out and come strong for the next season .  i want whats best for the team as a whole , and at the pace the canes are going you can expect them to be a team that  always manages to miss the playoffs because we didnt get the right guys  in the draft or off season  or bring up from the ahl .  5 years now going on a possible 6 .  how long do we canes fans have to put up with this year in and year out when any logical team with the right guys running the team would know that in order to have success you have to take a season off in order to come back and win .

last year tampa was 3rd to select  in the draft , they got the best player in that draft by selecting jonathan drouin , and what did they do ? let him develop so that when he does come up to the nhl , he will be more ready than most teams in the nhl , but if you take a look at previous years they also got really good and quality players to put on the team .  like they did last year with previous years .   

and you wonder why a team like tampa is sitting in a playoff bracket and the canes are not ?  they did what they had to do , tank a season to get stronger and get better .  funny how they know what to do but the canes don't  and i get flack for wanting my canes to be successful like tampa  , go figure . 

i know im going to get a lot of flack for this but if the canes won the lottery  , we should go after aaron ekblad ,  solid defense , most nhl ready player in this years draft and will be a great addition to the canes d-core  for many many years , even possible permanent cane  till he retires .  thats how good he is , some say ekblad is better than seth jones , others say jones is or was better than  ekblad , the one thing is for sure  the canes need to pick up the defense because as good as khudobin or ward is , we need someone to step up and get that puck out of our zone !!!  if we were not going for ekblad  than possible reinhart  would be a good choice 

I think Ekblad is clearly #1 on our board.  If we were to get the number one pick, and use it on anybody else, I think I would probably break down and cry!

the season ticket holders  if they had any sense for that year would sit the season out and come strong for the next season .  i want whats best for the team as a whole , and at the pace the canes are going you can expect them to be a team that  always manages to miss the playoffs because we didnt get the right guys  in the draft or off season  or bring up from the ahl .  5 years now going on a possible 6 .  how long do we canes fans have to put up with this year in and year out when any logical team with the right guys running the team would know that in order to have success you have to take a season off in order to come back and win .

last year tampa was 3rd to select  in the draft , they got the best player in that draft by selecting jonathan drouin , and what did they do ? let him develop so that when he does come up to the nhl , he will be more ready than most teams in the nhl , but if you take a look at previous years they also got really good and quality players to put on the team .  like they did last year with previous years .   

and you wonder why a team like tampa is sitting in a playoff bracket and the canes are not ?  they did what they had to do , tank a season to get stronger and get better .  funny how they know what to do but the canes don't  and i get flack for wanting my canes to be successful like tampa  , go figure . 

No, the flack is for wanting the team to tank.... thats what you said...So i think you better read what you wrote the first time...

No, the flack is for wanting the team to tank.... thats what you said...So i think you better read what you wrote the first time...

dinz, let me 2nd your thought, and add the the suggestion to "tank for a year" has to be one of the most asinine suggestions I've ever read! Further, I wonder how the players would react if, in pre-season, the coach approached them and said "relax boys, we've got a plan to improve next year, so you really don't need to practice, just show up for games. We're going to tank this year".

I may be selfish, but I personally do not want to drive 7000 miles, purchase 2 full season tickets and untold amount of money on food, beer and merchandise, to watch a team tank!!

Sorry, but this suggestion seems to come from someone watching from afar.

I like Ritchie. Hope we get him. Kinda reminds me of the old Erik Cole when he broke into the league.

Ritchie wouldn't be my choice in the 7 spot.  He reminds me too much of Dustin Penner.  We definitely need some size and grit, but we are not drafting a player that is going to make the team next year.  It might be a couple of seasons before this year's pick is NHL ready.  I say take the best available player.  It is early, but my list right now is:

1.  Ekblad

2.  Reinhart

3.  Bennett

4.  Draisaitl

5.  DalColle

6.  Ehlers

7.  Nylander

8.  Virtanen

9.  Fleury

10. Ritchie

Just watched clips of the Ritchie guy.  He looked pretty spectacular.  He reminded me more of Lucic than Penner.  If we want size AND skill, can't go wrong there.  Good hitter, hard wrist shot, deceptively fast, uses his size well.

I think Draisaitl will drop.  Too soft.

He's not on my list, at least for the Canes.

Still liking Ritchie (O) and Fluery (D) depending on if we win the lottery, and I take Ekblad.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The Ritchie video impressed me too, especially his size, we all know we need that bad.  I wonder though how Ritchie could handle NHL right now, its hard to tell if he was playing with not very good college kids and blowing by them, or if he's really that good.

Let me guess, 5'10" 180 lbs.?

No, 6'0" 180 lbs. ^_^  Actually, that might not be too bad for a 17 year old.  He should fill in at least 10 or 15 pounds and maybe even grow another inch or two.

This article has a pretty good breakdown of Ritchie (the guy also has write-ups on a handful of other prospects).

Nick Ritchie got off to a slow start this season; through thirty games, he had 27 points and was a -11. Sixteen games later he has 29 more points and is up to a +1. He was already predicted to go in the top ten and this improvement could further solidify that assessment. Furthermore, if he continues to play well while Leon Draisaitl struggles, he could end up being drafted in the top five this summer.

Ritchie, a prototypical power forward, has gotten to where he is by using his size and strength in all three zones of the ice. He doesn't hesitate to get his hands dirty in the offensive zone, making his living in the corners, along the boards, and in front of the net. By using his puck protection, size and speed, he makes it very hard for opposing players to get to the puck.

Peterborough Petes (OHL): 46 GP, 29 G, 27 A, 56 P, 110 PIM, +1

He really seems to have all the qualities we need.  Big in stature with speed to match. My favorite characteristic is his hard work on the boards. We are a team that gets pushed around in the dirty areas and we need a guy that can have a presence down there.

Edited by TheFaulker

Let me guess, 5'10" 180 lbs.?

If he plays like his father it really doesn't matter what his size is. When he was here he was our fastest skater and ran the power play. something we have been missing since he left.

When Sami was with the Flyers, they asked him to take a defenseman's spot many times when they were short. He was a very tenacious player at both ends of the ice. He was great during the regular season, but had the propensity to disappear in the playoffs.

His son is a solid forward. If not injured would have been in the World Junior's tournament.

I'd be happy with either him or Ritchie. Someone who is not afraid to stand in front of the net and take a beating.

Ehlers is a LOT better than Kapanen. Go read up on him or watch his highlights. He'd skate circles around Kapanen....or anybody and everybody else for that matter. It would be foolish to take Kapanen based on his name, in the 7th spot, especially if a few other guys are still on the board. It's long overdue that the nepotism be put to bed in this organization. We do't need every Sutter, Staal, and former players son on the squad! We're already going to waste a draft pick on Wesley's kid in the late rounds. 

Ehlers, Fleury, both MUCH better picks than Kapanen. 

Ehlers is a LOT better than Kapanen. Go read up on him or watch his highlights. He'd skate circles around Kapanen....or anybody and everybody else for that matter. It would be foolish to take Kapanen based on his name, in the 7th spot, especially if a few other guys are still on the board. It's long overdue that the nepotism be put to bed in this organization. We do't need every Sutter, Staal, and former players son on the squad! We're already going to waste a draft pick on Wesley's kid in the late rounds. 

Ehlers, Fleury, both MUCH better picks than Kapanen. 

Kahuna, I agree, but what's your take on Ritchie? We'd definately pick up much needed sife?