The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

Ehlers is a LOT better than Kapanen. Go read up on him or watch his highlights. He'd skate circles around Kapanen....or anybody and everybody else for that matter. It would be foolish to take Kapanen based on his name, in the 7th spot, especially if a few other guys are still on the board. It's long overdue that the nepotism be put to bed in this organization. We do't need every Sutter, Staal, and former players son on the squad! We're already going to waste a draft pick on Wesley's kid in the late rounds. 

Ehlers, Fleury, both MUCH better picks than Kapanen. 

Now now...if Rod's toddler was available for the draft in 18 years, I'd want him on the Canes...then I'd ask Rod if it was ok to betroth my daughter to his son.

Nick Ritchie

"Ritchie is a prototypical power forward with an impressive blend of size, skill, and strength. He skates well for a big plaer and has agile feet. He bulls his way around the ice and has an impressive, erratic shot."

In my book this is the clear winner. He gets my vote. Not that it means anything.

YEA, we agree!! 

Nick Ritchie

"Ritchie is a prototypical power forward with an impressive blend of size, skill, and strength. He skates well for a big plaer and has agile feet. He bulls his way around the ice and has an impressive, erratic shot."[/size]

In my book this is the clear winner. He gets my vote. Not that it means anything.[/size]

Oh, I like Ritchie too. My point is simply, there seems to be MANY better options than going down Sentimental Ave. with the 7th pick. Like I said , we're already tossing away one of our late picks on Wesley, who to be honest, isn't good at all.

I like Virtanen much better than Ritchie.  Ritchie is very large (heavy) for an 18 year old, which often results in becoming slow as a 25 year old.  Virtanen is big enough and physical enough to develop into a top notch power forward.  He is more likely to become an "Eric Cole" type player than Ritchie. 

The latest mock draft on bleacher report has us taking Nylander.  I will not be very happy with that pick.  We have enough small forwards that don't play defense. 

There are two prospects in the range we are picking that I would put on my "do not draft list", Perlini and Nylander.  Nylander because he doesn't play defense and Perlini because he disappeared in the playoffs.

Virt looks like a solid pick as well either /or and I will be happy.  Grit is the name of the game here boys.  We need a power forward.  Sadly, if JR is still at the helm I fear that we will once again go with a skilled smallish forward.  That seems to be the norm.

Ritchie is the exact type of player the Canes need, but like coastal, I'm afraid he'll be off the board. He has the size and snarl that is missing. He certainly would fill a need. Nylander is the prototypical JR pick. I hope that changes because size matters.

Edited by super_dave_1

Ritchie is the exact type of player the Canes need, but like coastal, I'm afraid he'll be off the board. He has the size and snarl that is missing. He certainly would fill a need. Nylander is the prototypical JR pick. I hope that changes because size matters.

Sadly, super_dave_1, too often we've seen the effects of not bringing any.

And as to cclifford 10's point above, regarding Ritchie, I believe we actually have a remedy to his "becoming slow at age 25", and that would be Brind'Amour. As long as Brindy is around, I doubt that players will physically slack off.

If a player is lazy, a player's lazy it just doesn't typically change. Brindy doesn't have a magic wand to change that.

While I agree with you on this legend, I didn't think that the issue was "lazy", but moreso that he might become "slow",as in out of shape. If laziness is a possibility, than by all means, this probably is not correctible by external forces.

here is my take on who the canes should go for  , we need an eric cole type of guy some one who can barrel down on the left win and open up passing lanes for eric staal  or jordan . he needs to have a good size and speed to not only carry the puck but not get pushed off the puck also . ritchie does fit that bill , but how would he progress is the question , keep in mind , this years draft quality is not on the same par as last years .  a elias lindholm type of player would easily be considered top 3 in this years draft .  so with that in mind we need speed and size .  i dont think we can get dal colle ,  as for skill type guys who might be a big threat on offense later in years , you got guys like nylander although his defensive side is very bad and he needs to work on that his entire career .  personally id like for the canes to go after fleury . another potential good defenseman   and he has that offensive side of skill that muller likes out of a player but i dont think we would get to see him until 2016 at the earliest .  my personal choise would be ho-sang and let him develop into a good  player and gain some size and frame  to bring up once he turns 23 but thats just me. 

here is my take on who the canes should go for  , we need an eric cole type of guy some one who can barrel down on the left win and open up passing lanes for eric staal  or jordan . he needs to have a good size and speed to not only carry the puck but not get pushed off the puck also . ritchie does fit that bill , but how would he progress is the question , keep in mind , this years draft quality is not on the same par as last years .  a elias lindholm type of player would easily be considered top 3 in this years draft .  so with that in mind we need speed and size .  i dont think we can get dal colle ,  as for skill type guys who might be a big threat on offense later in years , you got guys like nylander although his defensive side is very bad and he needs to work on that his entire career .  personally id like for the canes to go after fleury . another potential good defenseman   and he has that offensive side of skill that muller likes out of a player but i dont think we would get to see him until 2016 at the earliest .  my personal choise would be ho-sang and let him develop into a good  player and gain some size and frame  to bring up once he turns 23 but thats just me. 

Good research!

Sadly, super_dave_1, too often we've seen the effects of not bringing any.

And as to cclifford 10's point above, regarding Ritchie, I believe we actually have a remedy to his "becoming slow at age 25", and that would be Brind'Amour. As long as Brindy is around, I doubt that players will physically slack off.

I'm not suggesting that he is lazy or will slack off at all.  I am just saying that most 18 year olds can't put on that amount of weight and muscle.  He seems like he has large genetics.  It beomes difficult to be quick at 250 pounds no matter how hard you train.

Ritchie doesn't weigh 250 lbs.

That, and the scouting services don't see his 216 lbs as an issue.  He's ranked in the top-10.

This is just picking at straws, IMO.

I do like Virtanen's speed though, fastest skater in the top-10, hands down, forward and backwards.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I like Ritchie be very happy with him, but I would rather have decent size speed. That was Eric Cole

Given Virtanen's speed I got to give him the nod.

Ritchie doesn't weigh 250 lbs.

That, and the scouting services don't see his 216 lbs as an issue.  He's ranked in the top-10.

This is just picking at straws, IMO.

I do like Virtanen's speed though, fastest skater in the top-10, hands down, forward and backwards.

I didn't say he was 250 lbs.  I have seen him listed in several places at 230 lbs.  230 lbs at 18 projects to 250 lbs at 25.  If he is 216 lbs, then that projects to 230 and that sounds great!  I would still go with Virtanen over Ritchie though. 

Is VIrtanen faster that Ehlers?  I have heard Ehlers speed compared to Bure.

Virtanen is supposedly a rocket on skates. 

Hadn't paid much attention to Ehlers because I don't think we need another undersized speedy skill type.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Last year I prediect the canes would talk Lindholm. This year, I have no clue.  I have been so dissapointed from the canes this year, that it made me pay less attention to the prospects.  This year I would go with Ritchie or Perlini just to add some much needed size to our undersized group of prospects.