Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

So watching the mock drafts the last 7 have us taking:

Ritchie (3)

Kapanen (2)

Nylander

Vertanen

It looks likely that Vancouver will get to pick first from those 4 and we will get to pick from the remaining 3.

Of course the draft never goes according to plan, but that looks most likely.

All 4 of those guys have great shots at being really good players. Personally I think we finally have a chance to grab some size, so for that reason I'd like Ritchie or Vertanen. But Nylander and Kapenen both are supposedly high end talents, Kapenen with blazing speed, and Nylander crafty, can stick handle in a phone booth and "fantastic lateral agility". Nylander another Swede to go with Linholm, but is the smallest of these guys. 

All 4 of those guys have great upside. After years of drafting small I just think we need a big boy.

I like him too. Upside off the charts and fast. But Vancouver just might grab him.

That would leave somebody else on the table.  Ehlers is another small forward, but he can absolutely fly!!!

I go with Ritchie all the way, we need size and toughness. he's huge, he can skate,score,big slap shot, fight, and hit. Ron Francis commented that he would prefer big guys in press conference yesterday. I'd hope that means he would not go with 5'9 Kapanen. If we get one more small 18 year old kid with speed and skill I'm gonna jump off a bridge.

I go with Ritchie all the way, we need size and toughness. he's huge, he can skate,score,big slap shot, fight, and hit. Ron Francis commented that he would prefer big guys in press conference yesterday. I'd hope that means he would not go with 5'9 Kapanen. If we get one more small 18 year old kid with speed and skill I'm gonna jump off a bridge.

I am definitely not on the draft Kapenan bandwagon, but he is actually listed at 6' by ISS. 

I think Virtenan fits the exact profile of the type of player that Ron Francis described in the presser.

I am definitely not on the draft Kapenan bandwagon, but he is actually listed at 6' by ISS. 

I think Virtenan fits the exact profile of the type of player that Ron Francis described in the presser.

After watching both of their videos I felt like Ritchie drove the net more like Eric Cole style, and he also seemed to hit a little more and tower over the other players. Virtenean looked good but I just didn't see much of that from him but he can defintely finish and is not small. Ritchie left an impression on me as the exact kind of player we need.

I wonder if either could possibly be NHL ready next year or if they will both struggle at this level and need a couple years.

I really like Ritchie but I have to agree with you, Virtanen seems more of what Francis might be looking for. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

A relatively new mock draft by the Hockey Writers has us taking Nylander.

Nylander can dominate w/ puck, while knows I'm eating popcorn at the stands. Aware of everything going on at the rink.

Son of Michael, who was once known as the Swedish Gretzky, William has been touted by some as the most purely skilled player in this draft. His 16 point performance at the World Junior U18s doesn’t hurt his cause. - See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-playoffs-edition/#sthash.ZQzfP4cC.dpuf

They have Virtanen next: one of the most physically gifted prospects in this draft class and perhaps the best skater. He also knows how to find the back of the net.

"One of the premier shots in the Draft class. Relentless, energetic & tough package."

Both sound really good. I can't help but think we're going to get a really good player at 7. 

The introduce Brendan Perlini at #9: Perlini is another player that has that desirable of size and skill and possesses an absolutely lethal shot. - See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-playoffs-edition/#sthash.ZQzfP4cC.dpuf

They also shoot a new name up into the top 5: Nikoloj Ehlers: in at #5 Another under 6 footer with high skill level:

I don’t think any player impressed me more than Ehlers by midseason, and then he just seemed to get even better. His stickhandling ability is off the charts. For some unknown reason, maybe inspired by Patrick Kane incredible stickhandling videos, I envisaged Nikolaj putting on a puckhandling clinic, stickhandling through downtown Shanghai in rush hour – if you can imagine that, this young gun could pull it off.

im going to have to swallow my pride on this one and say the canes should go after nylander , the kid has the hockey iq , skill and compete level that francis wants for the canes ,  im not happy about it cause i want ritchie and ho-sang  but that is only because i like those  guys better  and that nylander does not have the defensive side to his game like skinner  still does not ,  not saying it can't be taught  but it takes years for guys like that to develop a decent defensive structure for the nhl , and thats something we need in a rookie  not something later in years to develop if we are looking to make something of ourselves .   i just hope nylander can become that player , crossing fingers !!!

im going to have to swallow my pride on this one and say the canes should go after nylander , the kid has the hockey iq , skill and compete level that francis wants for the canes ,  im not happy about it cause i want ritchie and ho-sang  but that is only because i like those  guys better  and that nylander does not have the defensive side to his game like skinner  still does not ,  not saying it can't be taught  but it takes years for guys like that to develop a decent defensive structure for the nhl , and thats something we need in a rookie  not something later in years to develop if we are looking to make something of ourselves .   i just hope nylander can become that player , crossing fingers !!!

I have kept up with the prospects this year a lot and haven't posted here in a while so wanted to chime in.

Have you watched much of Nylander? I don't know how someone could want Ho-Sang at #7 but then have to swallow their pride to get on board with taking the most skilled player in this entire draft. Nylander was too good at the U18. His team could not keep up with him. He honestly had to do everything on his own. Picking Nylander also brings about the option of playing him, or Lindholm at center if those two end up being linemates down the line. The other can play the wing.

That being said, I personally would like a bigger winger such as Ritchie or Virtanen at #7. I would stay as far away from Perlini as possible, and Kapanen gets a big NO from me as well seeing where we are picking in the draft. Kapanen has an on ice problem. It seems like arrogance. I'm not a fan.

No way is Kapanen the 7th best player on the board. There are several guys in the top 15 I'd take over him. Ehlers is the same size, and twice as good. If size doesn't matter, Ehlers is your man. But Ritchie and Fleury will be hard to pass over if they are still there. 

If we're talking about Fleury, no chance I take him at #7. He'd be a very solid defensive prospect to have but 7 is too early for him. Guys like Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander, Virtanen will be on the board and I'd rather have any of them over Fleury. If Ronnie is interested in Fleury, he should trade back and pick up another asset while still being able to take him.

I have kept up with the prospects this year a lot and haven't posted here in a while so wanted to chime in.

Have you watched much of Nylander? I don't know how someone could want Ho-Sang at #7 but then have to swallow their pride to get on board with taking the most skilled player in this entire draft. Nylander was too good at the U18. His team could not keep up with him. He honestly had to do everything on his own. Picking Nylander also brings about the option of playing him, or Lindholm at center if those two end up being linemates down the line. The other can play the wing.

That being said, I personally would like a bigger winger such as Ritchie or Virtanen at #7. I would stay as far away from Perlini as possible, and Kapanen gets a big NO from me as well seeing where we are picking in the draft. Kapanen has an on ice problem. It seems like arrogance. I'm not a fan.

well if we made a trade this year to get a later  pick in the first round and was able to pick up Ho-Sang later in the draft  i would be for it  but not at the expense of our pick at 7th , i didn't mean to say we should draft ho sang at 7th  cause that is just silly ,   but ritchie is who id like the canes to get but i understand that nylander would be who the canes are likely to get if not kapenen .   and with that nylander would be really good for the canes on offense in about 6 to 7 years  . but that only by how i project him as a scorer . he has the tools to later in his career  become some day  a 50 goal scorer  ,  not saying he will be though .  just saying there is a chance , 

Hey Staalsy, what's the knock on Perlini? 

His game is about positioning himself in open areas to use his best attribute, his shot, which is outstanding. Though he is a good skater as well. He has size and some people even compared him to Pacioretty when he was hot to start the year in junior. I don't think he is tremendously skilled on the puck as some of the other projected top 10 guys are. His teammate (leafs prospect) Carter Verhaeghe fed him passes all day long early in the OHL regular season and he'd just put it in the net time after time. During the playoffs he was shut down as Verhaeghe struggled and played through injury and he couldn't put up points like earlier on. This led some people to think he was simply a product of Verhaeghe since he's not yet good enough to single handedly dominate a game (which was evident in the playoffs). He's not bad defensively though as one would be led to believe after hearing how he plays.

I think he'll be a complimentary guy who can set up on the circle on the PP to use his shot. I don't see him going in the top 10. It would be too much of a risk considering the inconsistencies he had this year and the other players that should be available. Maybe he falls to a team like CBJ who can be patient with him and see if he can round out his game. Could end up being a real steal, or a flop.

It is rumored that Florida might be willing to trade away the number 1 pick.  Do you think the Canes would be wise to try to get it?

It is rumored that Florida might be willing to trade away the number 1 pick.  Do you think the Canes would be wise to try to get it?

I'm sure the price will be high. It could be a way to move a high salaried player but I'm sure Florida will want much more.  Our lack of depth who can jump in for moved players might make it impossible for us. Have you seen what Florida is speculated to be asking for their top pick?

No, I have not seen.  But if we did move Cam and maybe Eric???  Who knows.  Maybe Cam and trade our pick for Florida's pick?  That probably would not do it.  

I myself would not move Staal....but you never know what Francis is thinking at this point.

No, I have not seen.  But if we did move Cam and maybe Eric???  Who knows.  Maybe Cam and trade our pick for Florida's pick?  That probably would not do it.  

I myself would not move Staal....but you never know what Francis is thinking at this point.

From what I can find Tallon just said make me an offer. He did tell NBC Sports

Tallon is prepared to move the pick. In the same interview with Fan 590, he stressed the need for the Panthers to acquire some veteran leaders.

I saw this on another site this morning.  Sounds like some Florida fans seem to think they are really thin at right wing and would be okay with trading down to pick up Ehlers.

Could be something to keep an eye on.

Not sure what the asking price would be for us to give up the 7th pick to get the 1st but it seems Tallon wants to add veteran leaders.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The price of moving up to #1 from #7 would probably be too high.

Based on the point system trotted out last year going from 7 to 1 would cost 57 points, which is the value of either the #3 or #4 pick (half way between them). Thus the price would be to give up our #7 pick AND the #3 pick for the #1 pick. The problem is the huge value placed on #1 vs even #2. I suspect as is often the case, if someone in the top 5 wanted to kick in an overpay plus their pick, they'd take it.

What is hard to say is the relative value of a proven player. Would #7 and Cam Ward get us anything? Surely not into the top pick, but could we get into the top 5 where there is pretty good consensus?

The price in points to go from #7 to #5 is only 6 points, roughly a mid to late 2nd round pick.