The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

The more I read about Ritchie the more I'm not liking him at #7.  Several scouts have questioned his conditioning/ weight, and I've read that he takes shifts off.  He also racks up a lot of penalty minutes, all of which might point to a lack of discipline.  Add in the fact that he's not a particularly fast skater and it sounds like he might come with a lot of risk to go along with his high potential. :huh:   

Edited by LakeLivin

Nylander out 4-6 months with shoulder surgery.

Nylander.

coastal- did you mean Virtanen?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/05/22/hitmen-powerhouse-jake-virtanen-who-is-on-canucks-draft-radar-will-be-out-until-october-after-shoulder-surgery/

Kevin Epp, the Vancouver-based agent for NHL draft prospect Jake Virtanen, says that the Calgary Hitmen winger from Abbotsford had surgery recently to correct some “instability,” in his shoulder but says that it’s not an uncommon procedure for hockey players.

Epp says he’s had three other clients have similar operations in the past couple of years.

The Hitmen announced Virtanen’s surgery Thursday morning. They say he’ll be out of action from four to six months.

I'd rather it had been Nylander instead of Virtanen as I saw V as perhaps better fitting our needs at #7 if he was still there. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Oops, thanks Lake.

Yes, I meant Virtanen.

coastal, my question to this, is could not the Canes draft based on this player's body of work to this point, particularly if he has the skills we need? I suppose that we would need expert medical opinion to shed light on the injury as well as the ultimate question of the successfulness of the surgical repair.

The more I read about Ritchie the more I'm not liking him at #7.  Several scouts have questioned his conditioning/ weight, and I've read that he takes shifts off.  He also racks up a lot of penalty minutes, all of which might point to a lack of discipline.  Add in the fact that he's not a particularly fast skater and it sounds like he might come with a lot of risk to go along with his high potential. :huh:   

It may be true, but keep in mind that this is the time that every players' warts are exposed and talked about non-stop. With the internet, writers always have to be writing something.

I've seen a couple of prospect rankings that have Dal Colle and/ or  Draisaitl falling to the 7th position. Maybe we'll have more options than we're currently speculating.  One can only hope. . .

So a new gaggle of 4 mock drafts (there are 5 but 2 are the same guy and the exact same mock word for word) compiled over at dc sports. What's new and interesting, at least to me?

1. On the Ritchie vs Virtanen: even with the injury, Virtanen is getting more love, but it's really close. On average it's about a dead heat, but 2/4 rank Virtanen as top 7, w/ Ritchie at 9,9,9,12. One has us taking Virtanen saying, "He may not be ready next year due to the shoulder injury, but he will be a superstar one day". Looks like the mockers have Vertanen as more volatile due to his upside. He's either a #6/7 pick or he drops to 10-13, while Ritchie is more locked in around #9.

2. There is group think on us taking Kapenen. Most mocks either have us taking him at 7, or have him dropping to about 12-19. This is weird and unsettling. It's like the greater mock draft world is saying "Kapenen should be a 12-20 pick, unless the Canes take him". He may end up being great, but at least based on general opinion, it would be hard to be excited about him at #7 at first glance. Two of these 4 new mocks put us on Kapenen.

3. For the first time a mock has us taking a Dman: Hayden Fleury. Gus Katsaros at Rotoworld says about Fleury: "I happen to think his upside is as good as Ekblad's. Watch him be a steal on draft day". Now this is one guy. But interestingly this draft is the most forward front loaded draft according to these mocks. It's Ekblad, then forwards forever. This could raise the stock of Fleury.

Another crazy thought is for Francis to trade down, with the idea of picking up Fluery at say 11-13. Maybe in a master stroke deal that also moves Cam out and nets us a good player and another pick.

4. Nylander's stock is raising. He pops the top 5 in one, and 6,6,8 by the others.

5. Still, overall, the top 5 is pretty settled as a group with the exception of one popping Nylander into #5 dropping Da Cole to 6. Though the order of the top 5 is shuffling a bit, though Ekblad as #1 is now 13 in a row. The group is: Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle. Reinhardt's stock has slipped a bit. In April he was #1, now #3.

So, seems to me that unless Francis loves a guy not in top 5 (and that guy is available and thus we pick him), the ideal moves would be either to try to get into the top 5, or to consider trading down to say 11, 12. 

But really, who knows? The only thing I know is that the good majority of GM's just step up and take their pick. But then, Francis might want to make a splash...

Edited by remkin

So a new gaggle of 4 mock drafts (there are 5 but 2 are the same guy and the exact same mock word for word) compiled over at dc sports. What's new and interesting, at least to me?

1. On the Ritchie vs Virtanen: even with the injury, Virtanen is getting more love, but it's really close. On average it's about a dead heat, but 2/4 rank Virtanen as top 7, w/ Ritchie at 9,9,9,12. One has us taking Virtanen saying, "He may not be ready next year due to the shoulder injury, but he will be a superstar one day". Looks like the mockers have Vertanen as more volatile due to his upside. He's either a #6/7 pick or he drops to 10-13, while Ritchie is more locked in around #9.

2. There is group think on us taking Kapenen. Most mocks either have us taking him at 7, or have him dropping to about 12-19. This is weird and unsettling. It's like the greater mock draft world is saying "Kapenen should be a 12-20 pick, unless the Canes take him". He may end up being great, but at least based on general opinion, it would be hard to be excited about him at #7 at first glance. Two of these 4 new mocks put us on Kapenen.

3. For the first time a mock has us taking a Dman: Hayden Fleury. Gus Katsaros at Rotoworld says about Fleury: "I happen to think his upside is as good as Ekblad's. Watch him be a steal on draft day". Now this is one guy. But interestingly this draft is the most forward front loaded draft according to these mocks. It's Ekblad, then forwards forever. This could raise the stock of Fleury.

Another crazy thought is for Francis to trade down, with the idea of picking up Fluery at say 11-13. Maybe in a master stroke deal that also moves Cam out and nets us a good player and another pick.

4. Nylander's stock is raising. He pops the top 5 in one, and 6,6,8 by the others.

5. Still, overall, the top 5 is pretty settled as a group with the exception of one popping Nylander into #5 dropping Da Cole to 6. Though the order of the top 5 is shuffling a bit, though Ekblad as #1 is now 13 in a row. The group is: Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle. Reinhardt's stock has slipped a bit. In April he was #1, now #3.

So, seems to me that unless Francis loves a guy not in top 5 (and that guy is available and thus we pick him), the ideal moves would be either to try to get into the top 5, or to consider trading down to say 11, 12.

But really, who knows? The only thing I know is that the good majority of GM's just step up and take their pick. But then, Francis might want to make a splash...

The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with Carolina drafting Fleury. We have a couple prospects at forward coming through the ranks with Tolchinsky, McGinn, and Lindholm, as well as a few of our regular call ups in boychuck, shutter and Blanchard. Our defensive prospects are paper thin. Pretty much, our only prospect close to nhl caliber is Murphy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina took Fleury.

The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with Carolina drafting Fleury. We have a couple prospects at forward coming through the ranks with Tolchinsky, McGinn, and Lindholm, as well as a few of our regular call ups in boychuck, shutter and Blanchard. Our defensive prospects are paper thin. Pretty much, our only prospect close to nhl caliber is Murphy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina took Fleury.

Wanna see the list of RW prospects?

Greg Nemisz

Jared Staal

Brendan Woods

That's it. Seriously. All will probably never be NHLers.

We have some good defensive prospects on top of Murphy:

Trevor Carrick- Nominee for multiple OHL awards, had 51pts in 70 games this yr. Tons of raw talent.

Jaccob Slavin- Made USA World Junior team, had 25pts in 32 games in his first year for Colorado College. Leader.

Brett Pesce- Great defensive defenseman with outstanding gap control, almost made USA World Junior team, offensive numbers rose in his 2nd year at UNH. 21pts in 41 games. Huge frame. 6 foot 3. 19yrs old.

Drafting Fleury at 7 would be idiotic to me. Not the best player available and his stock is up because of the lack of dmen. Trade back to get him.

I really want Dal Colle or Nylander, followed by Virtanen/Ritchie.

Nylander is the most skilled player in this draft. He has questions but is so much like Patrick Kane. It would be absolutely insane seeing him with Lindholm and Skinner.

Goaltending is even more of a need. Here's a list of all our goalie prospects with NHL potential. Brace yourself:

Daniel Altshuller

That's it.

Draft a forward in round 1, goalie in round 2. Try to get Dysin Mayo or Aaron Irving in early 3rd.

Blasphemy I know but I'm for trading the draft pick away as part of a deal to get an established player.

Trading down is one thing, and it might be a smart move, but not until we see who could fall out of the top-5.

Trading that pick away would be lunacy on the Canes part.  Or maybe blasphemy, LOL....

Oh, and glad somebody else noticed how thin we are at RW.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just call me crazy but this draft doesn't excite me. We are young enough. . A first round pick is one of the few trade chips we have.

We do need to restock the Chex and add depth at right wing but there are other ways to do that. I'm tired of living in a future that never comes. I'd rather live in the now.

I've been meaning to ask for awhile but...

Does anyone know anything about Patrick Brown, the forward from BC?

He has decent size, was the captain at BC, and reportedly other teams were interested in signing him. I think he said he signed with the Canes because he felt it gave him the best chance to make an impact/make the team.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Just call me crazy but this draft doesn't excite me. We are young enough. . A first round pick is one of the few trade chips we have.

We do need to restock the Chex and add depth at right wing but there are other ways to do that. I'm tired of living in a future that never comes. I'd rather live in the now.

That was JR's approach (i.e. living in the now), and it hasn't worked. 

When the hear and now guys go down somebody has to be ready to step in the lineup and contribute.  It's hard to deny that depth has played a big part in our downfall over the last few seasons.  Look around the league and see all the young players stepping up to fill holes in team's lineups. 

Who has done that for the Canes?  I honestly can't think of one guy from Charlotte over the last few years, other than Bellemore, and he's a bottom pairing guy at best, but realistically he's just a short-term AHL callup, over slotted because of.......lack of depth.

I don't look forward to a rebuild either, but as far as the Checkers, that's what we are looking at, and it's going to take a few more years.  We need to be adding picks, not trading them away for more of the same old same old.

Who has done that for the Canes?  I honestly can't think of one guy from Charlotte over the last few years, other than Bellemore, and he's a bottom pairing guy at best, but realistically he's just a short-term AHL callup, over slotted because of.......lack of depth.

I don't look forward to a rebuild either, but as far as the Checkers, that's what we are looking at, and it's going to take a few more years.  We need to be adding picks, not trading them away for more of the same old same old.

This is what I think is the main issue going forward.  Sure, the NHL squad has underperformed, but even if they turn that around, the cupboard is still bare in Charlotte.  Talk about being short at right wing, tell me what position has strength?  Players have been called up and have been rushed and over slotted because of this lack of organizational depth.  JR traded picks away to get rid of problems.  The picks made have been useless pretty much after any higher 2nd rounders.  This is job 1 in my opinion going forward.  In the current NHL, a successful team needs a couple of guys moving up every year to be able to contribute at a low salary point.  There is only one way to get those.

I take a slightly different approach to the same answer. It is very hard for teams to pick up high quality players, high quality teammates any other way than drafting them. When a team gets a guy like that, usually through their draft, they rarely let them go. Sure eventually guys make it to UFA, but often the best of them get re-signed before that to keep them on the team. Of the few that get to free agency there are usually only a handful of those FA that qualify as high quality players. Then the small market kicks in, because we just can't draw the big boys in FA. They want big city or winning culture. We've got neither. Sure if your the NYR just fill the cupboard with FA.

Then there is paying people. Draft a guy, you pay him little in the NHL until he can play in the NHL. Then he is on an entry contract for a while. But mainly if the guy is any good you lock him up before he hits UFA. You grab the elite guy off the UFA line...well you pay BIG.

Of course, as I've pointed out many times to my own peril, it would be nice if we'd have lost a couple more games and gotten into the top 5, but even at #7, and again at #37, we ought to be able to get a very good and good player. Lower rounds are mostly to refill the cupboard, and I also agree we need to do that, but the main thing is refilling the high quality NHL cupboard.

Now if a trade for Cam could be wrapped into a move down and a player......

Edited by remkin

I've heard Ritchie described as a boom or bust prospect.  I just don't think the Canes are deep enough to take the chance on a prospect that has a higher chance of washing out (even if he also has a slightly higher potential) than other "less variable" prospects who would be available at #7.

Edited by LakeLivin

Maybe if we would stop drafting and rushing players into the NHL our Chex would have been a little better. I'm not advocating we go get another Manny. There are young players with great promise in the NHL that have fallen out of favor with their teams. There is a youth movement in the NHL and we have plenty of them.

We don't have the assets to pull off a good trade. The assets we have hold big contracts. It looks like we will be a budget team again so FA will be tough.  What we do have is a pretty good draft pick and combined with a player could get us that power forward or top four D-man.

You don't build a team on the draft alone. We do have a depth problem but its not only in Charlotte its in Raleigh too. Use what you got to get what you need.