The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

2014 NHL Draft/ Canes pick #7

Great work Rem, as the  Kings showed, size does matter..

But as Boston (or should I say Montreal?) showed, so does speed. ;)

Edited by LakeLivin

Great work Rem, as the  Kings showed, size does matter..

Thanks dinz. It is really so wide open at #7, then we could trade up or down....

I'm still conflicted. The sort of can't miss size and skill and physicality seems to be in the top 5. Draisaitl comes to mind, but would have to trade up, maybe way up as some have him going #2 all of the sudden. 

I will say this, having read about these guys a bit now, I do think that we will get a good player at #7. If we do not trade up or down I would be pretty happy with Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen, or Nylander. I could live with Perlinin or Fleury but would think we might be able to trade down and get them. 

Love the draft. Especially if picking early. Oh to be in the top 5 again though....

Thanks dinz. It is really so wide open at #7, then we could trade up or down....

I'm still conflicted. The sort of can't miss size and skill and physicality seems to be in the top 5. Draisaitl comes to mind, but would have to trade up, maybe way up as some have him going #2 all of the sudden. 

I will say this, having read about these guys a bit now, I do think that we will get a good player at #7. If we do not trade up or down I would be pretty happy with Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen, or Nylander. I could live with Perlinin or Fleury but would think we might be able to trade down and get them. 

Love the draft. Especially if picking early. Oh to be in the top 5 again though....

Oh, to have pick #30 again. ;)

nobody under 200lbs and preferably 6'.  I can't take watching another highly skilled and fast skating draft pick get his clock rung for 3 seasons and struggle while we all say "if he just puts some weight on this summer he'll be great".  Lets get big starting now.  My vote for  Ritchie.

I've also read scouting reports that questioned Ritchies' potential work ethic (although you really never know how much stock to place in individual scouting reports).  And the fact that despite his size he was only a +2 last season while playing against juniors, doesn't give me a warm feeling, either.  Now he was playing on a team just barely over .500, so again, take that stat within context. But to me he represents too much of a risk at #7. 

If the shoulder isn't going to be a problem, if we're going after size, I see Virtanen as a less risky proposition.  One analyst had him ranked as the #1 skater in this years draft (not just at his position, but overall).  And he did finish at a +23 last season, although on a markedly better team than Ritchies.  

But I really like the idea of either trading up to the top 5 or down and acquiring additional resources. 

I favor keeping Tlusty, but if we could get the #5 pick for him? Oh yes.

Could trade down w/ #7 to say #10, pick up another second rounder and Fluery.

Dal Cole and Fluery and 2 second rounders?

Ya, I'm dreaming, but you never know.

I know the thread is about drafting but no matter who the Canes grab at #7 will be anti-climactic as he will probably have little impact on this coming season and probably the next.

Draft pick(s) are hugely important but our short term success (ie next season and the season ticket holders) depends heavily on Peters waking up two slumbering players in Eric (9m) and Jordan (6m), trading for or signing a UFA 3rd line center (Lindholm needs a couple more years  to convert his kids body into a mans body), trading for or signing a UFA solid D man. 

It worries me that Bill Peters referred to Sekera/Faulk as his top 2 D guys. They play well but far from great like other teams top D men.

Just so no one takes a "Tlusty for #5 pick" too seriously, rem and dinz are referring to something I posted in the "Trades" thread:

____________________________________________________________________________________

• Rather than stockpiling prospects, Islanders general manager Garth Snow is looking to trade the fifth overall pick in Friday’s draft for NHL-ready talent, says Arthur Staple of Newsday. The goal is “to find either a top-pair defenseman or a top-line left wing to play alongside John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.”

I wonder if we could put together a package featuring Tlusty for the 5th pick?  On the one hand, I know that's unrealistic.  But if you look at what the Isles gave up in the Moulson-Tavares deal, maybe we could talk them into it. :P

____________________________________________________________________________________

Not gonna happen, but we can dream, can't we?  Of course, as caniac points out above, while such a trade would likely be great in the long run, it would further weaken our team over the next year or two.

I doubt they do Tlusty for the #5 pick, let me just get that out there.

But then again, I doubt they get a top pair dman or first line forward either.

And Tlusty was a first line forward as recently as two years ago....but still probably no.

Edited by remkin

Rem, I didn't think you were serious, just wanted to make sure everyone else knew that the only basis for that trade speculation was a wild hair I had. 

But now that it's out there, I wonder if there is something we could put together that might work for both sides? You're right about them not likely getting what they want, especially a top pair dman.   They probably wouldn't buy it, but we could make the argument that Tlusty is a potential top line winger. I wonder what we'd have to throw in beyond that? We don't have much in the way of prospects or current complimentary pieces we could afford to lose.But the Isles are giving up their 1st round pick next year to Buffalo.  Wonder if our 2015 2nd round pick might sweeten the deal a bit?  I'd bet they'd still need more even if we could interest them in Tlusty.  What a coup it would be If RF could pull off something like that . . .  

I don't think Tlusty is worth the #5 pick, not even close. But how far up might we go if we package him w/the #7 overall pick? Might that draw any interest? Anyone think it is worth considering? Of course if the Tlusty of 2 years ago returns this fall, I'm not sure moving up a few spots is worth it. The consensus seems to be there is a large drop off after the first 5 picks, but we got Skinner at #7, so maybe it's not worth trading a potentially good player - the #7 pick may be just as good a player over the long haul as the 4 or 5.

Thats where it gets so tricky on these trades. I would not trade Tlusty just to move up. Move up plus...maybe. So much depends on the impression of the player by the opposing GM and that team's need.

warning: speculation ahead!

The only way I could see us putting our #7 pick in play along with Tlusty to get the #5 pick is if another team was involved.  How does this sound?

• Tlusty to NYI
  • #5 to Canes
  • #7 to a team picking between #11 and #14 (Team X)
  • #11-14 to us from Team X
  • a lower tier starter from Team X to NYI
Edited by LakeLivin

You both realize it wouldn't be Tlusty you are trading.  He's not qualified yet.

Sign and trade.

Yeah, I think that's the least problematic part of this fantasy trade. :hockey:

Just so no one takes a "Tlusty for #5 pick" too seriously, rem and dinz are referring to something I posted in the "Trades" thread:

• Rather than stockpiling prospects, Islanders general manager Garth Snow is looking to trade the fifth overall pick in Friday’s draft for NHL-ready talent, says Arthur Staple of Newsday. The goal is “to find either a top-pair defenseman or a top-line left wing to play alongside John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.”

I wonder if we could put together a package featuring Tlusty for the 5th pick?  On the one hand, I know that's unrealistic.  But if you look at what the Isles gave up in the Moulson-Tavares deal, maybe we could talk them into it. :P

Not gonna happen, but we can dream, can't we?  Of course, as caniac points out above, while such a trade would likely be great in the long run, it would further weaken our team over the next year or two.

Seeing as i don't see us doing much till we can clear some of the cap space(Eric, Ward, Liles), may not be a bad idea.