The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Justin Faulk - Six year $29 million contract

The $29-million dollar deal will pay Faulk $2.5 million in 2014-15, $3.5 million in 2015-16, $5.5 million in 2016-17 and 2017-18, and $6 million in 2018-19 and 2019-20, for an average annual salary-cap figure of $4.833 million.:

Faulk hasn't looked very good lately so we hand him a deal that pays over 5 mil in the final 3 years? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I'd prefer a 3 year deal and when he's due his pay day you give it  to him not garuntee it before you see the full potential of the goods. Right now he doesn't look like a guy you want to hand 6 mil.

Also if JR is still allowed to play with the money, my hopes he'll be fired this offseason are slim to none now. If he was on GM's death row PK would have told him to not sign anyone.

Edited by legend-1

First, surprised it wasn't a bridge contract.

Yet another back-loaded deal with the Canes taking all the risk.

But 6-mil in the last 2 years can't be valued in today's dollars.

Hopefully he continues to improve and turns out to be the top-pairing guy I think he can be.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yes, as you mentioned above, a 2 or 3-year deal letting him continue to prove his value then give him the big payday if deserved, which takes the risk away from a long-term back loaded deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-merits-drawbacks-bridge-contract-143219395.html

Thought JR might have gone for the bridge contract instead given it sounds like PK wants to cut salary, but this back-loaded deal accomplishes the same thing with the added risk Faulk never projects as a top-pairing guy long-term.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I just don't see it being all that risky. He's looked a bit off lately, but remember he's only 22 - He's been solid since day 1 in the league and has already been to the Olympics. If you take a chance on anyone with a contract like this, it's Faulk. 

I think this is the best long term contract on the team.

Throughout all of our woes, Especially on defense, Faulk has been the one consistent.

His cap hit is 4.8, not 6mil, which is right on par with McDonaugh in NY, which is right on par with his talent.

Lets find something else to whine about, because this shouldn't be one of them.

I just don't understand whats so great about Faulk. I don't see him hitting hard, I don't see him helping on the power play, I don't see him scoring goals, blocking shots, he's just kind of an average decent defenseman in my eyes. 3yrs 2.5-3.5 million seems more what he's worth to me. Hopefully next year I'll start noticing why our front office and the NHL thinks he's so good. nothing against him, I like him, I just never have really noticed him doing anything great, I've definitely noticed some bad turnovers tho.

First, surprised it wasn't a bridge contract.

Yet another back-loaded deal with the Canes taking all the risk.

This honestly is concerning to me.  I too thought JR might have learned from his earlier mistakes of "too much, too soon".  I'm not so sure now.  If he continues to develop, it will be a fair deal.  That is still a lot of money for a young developing player.

I would say that outside of Jordan's contract that most of the contracts at the time of signing looked good and several have gone sour. So no I'm not whining I'm concerned about something that doesn't seem to have a great track record with the Canes.

How is guaranteeing money to a kid who has yet to show his full potential smart? It's not like he could easily walk at the end of 3 years, if he happened to be the next big thing another team would have to pay big time in compensation to snatch him away.

The whining comment was a general statement. The one important element overlooked so far is the salary cap is only going to go up from here. Teams are going to be locking up young players now at a reasonable rate, rather than waiting until they hit ufa status and the market would explode their situation. Just watch what Montreal off Subban.

The only number that concerns this franchise is 4.8, the cap hit. If his cap hit was 6, then yes, I'd be a little skeptical. Is 4.8 a good number for our most consistent blue-liner the past 3 seasons? I say yes.

Well, with Faulk signing this contract, I don't think we have room for Pitkinen to return.   :thumbsup:

(Never was a fan of him anyway!)

I say that in the past I would have loved this deal because I would have had faith in JR.

Now I am not so sure.  The long term deals and NTCs have continued to plague this team.  This is a great deal if Faulk pans out but our track record has gone down the drain of late.

Wow, some of you are off your rockers.  This is a great signing at a great price.  Faulk has slowed down a bit.  It's tough to get used to playing this many games, but he has played top minutes against top lines all season.  You don't get that at this price and at his age.  If anything, it's a home town discount!  Watch and see what top four defenseman get this summer....if any of them even hit the market!  Great signing!

Plus he also traveled to the Olympics and didn't get 2 weeks of rest like others,

and he is very young to be playing such big minutes. He will be fine. Good signing IMO.

Another boom or bust signing. I like Faulk, he's usually pretty consistent but there is always concern. He's been off lately but more often than not he does his job well.

What I do like is that we have Faulk and Sekera for next season at a little over 5 million, that should give us more flexibility next year and the cap is going up.

I can't speak to the back end. There is a risk with that. But I suspect there is some truth to the need to lock down guys like Faulk in a small market more. Not let him hit UFA as soon. 

He has looked off for a couple of games, but the sample size is not small on J. Faulk. 169 games over three seasons. Very often our best defenseman despite his being only 22 years old.

The guy is not a bruiser and not fast as lightning and doesn't have many goals. But he is #7 on the team in points and he sticks to his man like glue and is sure with the puck beyond his years. He constantly draws the top lines in hockey. He is not finished improving. And even if we find a stud to pair w/ Sekera you can't go wrong w/ Faulk in the top 4. 

He is on the extremely short do not trade list on this team.

He seems like a kid who can handle the new contract.

I can't complain. 

Is he JR's last signing? 

I'd prefer a 3 year deal and when he's due his pay day you give it  to him not garuntee it before you see the full potential of the goods. Right now he doesn't look like a guy you want to hand 6 mil.

Fully agree with above!!!!!

I am just glad that we have paid up for a very good D man. Faulk is only 22. In the yrs ahead he will be a real #1 defense man. How many good D guys have we let walk because we did not want to pay up? Very good D men cost A LOT and teams keep them for yrs because they are hard to find. Justin Faulk will earn his paycheck, and we will all be saying "Thank God we have Faulk out there"

The whining comment was a general statement. The one important element overlooked so far is the salary cap is only going to go up from here. Teams are going to be locking up young players now at a reasonable rate, rather than waiting until they hit ufa status and the market would explode their situation. Just watch what Montreal off Subban.

The only number that concerns this franchise is 4.8, the cap hit. If his cap hit was 6, then yes, I'd be a little skeptical. Is 4.8 a good number for our most consistent blue-liner the past 3 seasons? I say yes.

Agree with you, this is a good signing.  Besides all the positives that others have mentioned, and based on the way things have been going with this team lately, the fact that he's willing to commit himself long term to Canes sends a good message to other players around the league looking for a new home.  He may not have played much in the Olympics but he was chosen above other players to represent the USA for a reason and 4.8mil is not an unreasonable cap hit for a top pairing defenseman.   If the Canes could have locked him up for 3 years they would have but to keep him here was going to take a little something extra.

Now, please get Sekera signed too.

I am just glad that we have paid up for a very good D man. Faulk is only 22. In the yrs ahead he will be a real #1 defense man. How many good D guys have we let walk because we did not want to pay up? Very good D men cost A LOT and teams keep them for yrs because they are hard to find. Justin Faulk will earn his paycheck, and we will all be saying "Thank God we have Faulk out there"

Amen hockeybaby.