The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Justin Faulk - Six year $29 million contract

I like that we have locked Faulk up. I'm not sure about the length of the contract. Time will tell if it is a good deal.

Yet another unnecessarily long, slightly over paid contract!  

JR should have let the new GM figure this out....   thanks for yet another bloated contract JR!!!!

I get the concern in length but what is bloated about the contract?

You have a fairly proven top pairing dman who's very young and and will likely raise his game each year with more experience.  I say fairly proven because although he was a top pair guy on the Canes he may be a second pair on a better team. 

$4.8 mil cap hit for the next 6 years and the guy may only just be reaching his prime in the final couple of years of the deal?  If he hadn't already shown us what he's capable of I'd be skeptical but since he's been one of, if not thee most consistent player on the team, its a deal that I think any other team in need of a top 4 dman would jump on and we're lucky he's willing to stay here and invest his future here.  He must have heard something he liked because last I checked all players want to play in the playoffs and he likely would have gotten that deal elsewhere.

I wonder if JR and Ronnie have laid out their future plans to the players (at least to the ones they want to keep) before JR went public with his news?

Not exactly a confidence-inspiring effort last night after signing a long-term contract. He looked like he was sleep-skating.

If an organization committed millions of dollars to me, my next game I would be sure to go out and show them what they just invested in.

I guess that's just me.

Maybe times are different. Maybe it is all just business . Maybe it is just entertainment.

I don't know, but I don't get it.

I know I'm being dramatic and it was just one game, but I could never sign for millions of dollars and go out and put forth that type of effort.

This post isn't about how good Faulk is or will be, it's only about last night and his response to signing a long-term contract worth millions.

Edited by Kyrule

Again, bottom line..... JR should have let the new GM figure this out.

(unless of course JR knows he'll still be pulling all the strings, and he'll keep Ronnie as his string-puppet and GM in name-only next season).

If Francis gets the GM job I just don't see him being anybodies puppet. He is unproven but does have the hockey pedigree, He seems to have the personality for the job but will agree until he is in the job we won't know.

Was Steve Yzerman a GM before Tampa?  What about Patrick Roy (who even Colorado's GM says has the final say in hockey decisions)?  Marc Bergevin of Montreal?  Jarmo Kekalainen of Columbus?  

Noticing a trend there?  None of those guys had previous experience as GM before taking over.  They all served in other roles within their/an organization first.  Now all of them have a young nucleus that is currently in the playoff hunt.

So I will not be misunderstood, I will repeat myself.  I don't want Carolina to just hand Francis the job without looking all options available.  But lets not disregard a well respected player the current youngsters probably looked up to, the 4th all-time leading scorer as just some joe blow they got off the street.

Was Steve Yzerman a GM before Tampa?  What about Patrick Roy (who even Colorado's GM says has the final say in hockey decisions)?  Marc Bergevin of Montreal?  Jarmo Kekalainen of Columbus?  

Noticing a trend there?  None of those guys had previous experience as GM before taking over.  They all served in other roles within their/an organization first.  Now all of them have a young nucleus that is currently in the playoff hunt.

So I will not be misunderstood, I will repeat myself.  I don't want Carolina to just hand Francis the job without looking all options available.  But lets not disregard a well respected player the current youngsters probably looked up to, the 4th all-time leading scorer as just some joe blow they got off the street.

Well said. I think we're fortunate here in a small market to have a legend like Francis as such a big part of our organization. I don't know what will happen with him as GM, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Just a final parting shot by JR to sign Faulk to silly money based on what Faulk has accomplished to this point.  The fact he was on the US Olympic team speaks more to the lack of depth in US Hockey than it does Faulks skill sets. Faulk wouldn't have come close to making Canada's "B" Olympic team.

One thing that it is hard to remember is how young some of our best players are. 

As to the Olynpics:

Justin Faulk was by far the youngest defenseman compared to team Canada or and the youngest on team USA. 

Faulk was 21.

Youngest Canada dman: Pietrangelo: 24

Youngest USA dman after Faulk: Fowler 22, Carlson, 23 (both within a 1-2 months of being older), then it jumps.

In fact of around 100 defensemen for all olympic teams, only one was Faulk's age (and that was for Slovenia, Slovenia) And on every other single team: Austria, Canada, Czech, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Faulk would have been substantially younger than the next guy.

We have not yet seen how good Faulk can be, and he's already pretty darned good.

Edited by remkin

Faulk and Sekera have hit a wall, IMO.  Neither have played the type of minutes nor have they faced the top lines night in-night out like they have this year with the Canes.  It's a big adjustment for both of them.

I'm not worried, they will be fine.

But, Faulk and Sekera do need help in the top-4 to take SOME pressure off of them.  Hainsey is okay, but beyond that we don't really have a defense, at least not anybody that should regularly take shifts in the second pairing.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just a final parting shot by JR to sign Faulk to silly money based on what Faulk has accomplished to this point.  The fact he was on the US Olympic team speaks more to the lack of depth in US Hockey than it does Faulks skill sets. Faulk wouldn't have come close to making Canada's "B" Olympic team.

Great points... JR handing over a 6 (SIX) year deal was yet again another poor judgment call...  and WHY do this NOW if he is really leaving things to a new GM soon?

BTW, isn't Greg Sherman still the official GM of Den? 

Anyway, Roy had a PROVEN record of winning in a front office role! (Ronnie DOES NOT).
Roy, in his first year in management won the Memorial Cup (no not Stanley, but that's still a great 1st year accomplishment)! 

Bottom line: Ronnie does have  track record in the front office and its soooo NOT good! 
Why on earth would we want him over a PROVEN front office winner!

As far as looking at others better than Ronnie? That's easy!

Mark Howe remains a much better pick than Ronnie!!

Yzerman has always been very cereberal when he played the game and had helped put together Team Canada's Olympic teams before getting the GM position in Tampa.

Roy toiled in the minors, even being an owner/GM/head coach of Quebec Remparts before being given a chance with the Avs.

Marc Bergevin worked as Assistant GM with the Blackhawks before getting a chance with the Habs.

Jarmo Kekalainen worked as GM in a Finnish Elite team before being the Assistant GM with the Blues. He latered returned to Finland to take on another GM position before getting the Columbus job.

They've all have had some sort of experience in the position before getting their current jobs/responsibilities.

I believe some of Faulk's problems now is fatigue of playing a full season as the #1 defensive pair and probably lingering issues with the injury he sustained a week or so ago. He'll be fine.

Edited by hopper915

I think you make a really good point. I wasn't sold on Francis, and I still hope that the team is looking outside for options instead of just handing him the job. But if they look around, feel he is the best candidate and has earned the position, then I'm on board. Its never easy to roll the dice, and if it doesn't work well then Greg and other will be back screaming I told you so, but even Scotty Bowman had to start out unproven. If there's one guy that might be worth taking the chance on, Francis would be that one. Again, I really hope he isn't automatic, but if this team looks around and he is they best they can draw, I think he deserves a chance. 

And that post is a little off topic on this thread, so getting back to Faulk... I can see where some people aren't happy with the length and there is an argument to be made there. But again, that may have been all he would accept, and if we weren't going to pay it then another team would for a 21 year old dman with upside who has already been part of the Olympic team. The best way for this team to get a solid top pairing is to draft and develop (sometimes you get a gem in the rough through trading AKA Sekera) because again, guys like Weber, Suter, etc aren't easy to come by and would have to be extremely overpaid to lure.

Having said that, my biggest issue with his 6 year contract is this. When Faulk is finished with this contract, is he now going to be a UFA instead of RFA? To me, that has a LOT more importance than the salary.

BTW, isn't Greg Sherman still the official GM of Den? 

Anyway, Roy had a PROVEN record of winning in a front office role! (Ronnie DOES NOT).
Roy, in his first year in management won the Memorial Cup (no not Stanley, but that's still a great 1st year accomplishment)! 

Bottom line: Ronnie does have  track record in the front office and its soooo NOT good! 
Why on earth would we want him over a PROVEN front office winner!

As far as looking at others better than Ronnie? That's easy!

Mark Howe remains a much better pick than Ronnie!!

Ok, i'll play this game.  Ron joined the front office in 2011.  What has the team accomplished since then?  Not the playoffs.  The Draft?  We got Ryan Murphy, which is a decent prospect and the highest ranked player at that point in the draft.  Traded the next 1st rounder for J Staal.  Drafted Lindholm, decent prospect.  So from the draft, we've got Murphy, Staal, Lindholm.  Throw in Sekera, Brock McGinn as well.  Offseason?  How about Semin, or Gerbe, or what about that Khudobin fellow?  How about snatching Tolchinsky away from NY?  How about coaching?  We all wanted Paul Maurice gone right?  We all wanted a fresh pair of eyes behind the bench right?  Ok, in comes Muller.

So, since Francis has been in office, we've gotten:

Jordan Staal (who I feel has been our most consistent forward all season)

Alex Semin (who's probably our most complete offensive player)

Anton Khudobin (CLEARLY our best goaltender, who's replaced your much dreaded Cam Ward)

Andrej Sekera (Our best D-Man, probably our best player all year)

Nathan Gerbe (Who we got for next to nothing, and has been the heart & soul of this season)

Ryan Murphy (who has a ton of upside, solid prospect)

Elias Lindholm (ton of upside, shown signs of stardom)

Sergei Tolchinsky (stole from the Rangers, scoring machine)

Brock McGinn (another gritty, high scoring prospect)

Kirk Muller (who's actually been slightly over .500 since his tenure here.  Not the best, not the worst, but the new blood everybody wanted)

Have we made the playoffs?  No.  Can we blame a person who doesn't play in the game nor coaches it or negotiates the contracts or signs the contracts?  You seem to want to blame him.  Have things been perfect since he's been in office?  Not at all.  If you do what you normally do, which is pick out a single quote in a post you can poke a hole in, please pick this.  How can you really compete against a man in JR who's been calling the shots for 20yrs?

Just because this team hasn't warped overnight doesn't make him bad at what he does.  Actually, wasn't Francis on the bench the last time the hurricanes made the playoffs?  I think so.  

Edit to add- Suppose Mark Howe wants to leave, and suppose the hurricanes do interview him.  What's your backup plan if he chooses not to come here?

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

I'm certainly not trying to blame Ronnie.

Rather pointing out that he is NOT a proven front office NHL winner.  He's never been part of a WINNING NHL front office.  It would be wise for the Canes to get someone that has a history with a winning front office.  Further, while I'm not blaming Ronnie for the Canes repeated failure to make the playoffs,  it would be foolish to assume he's had nothing to do with the failures either.  And, since he's joined he certainly has not turned things around.  

Again, get someone that has been a part of a winning culture and winning NHL front office.

Lets keep this thread on topic about Justin Faulk and his new contract.  Any GM talk or debate should be posted here.

Any off topic post from here on will be moved to the appropriate thread.

Thanks for understanding.