The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

What is this team's BIGGEST problem?

Biggest Need Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If we could only fix one thing for next year it should be:

• New Coach, player tweaks (lower tiered typical off season moves)
    • Trade Top Line Forwards (Staals, Skinner, and or Semin)
    • Add depth to the bottom lines: scoring and skill depth (for size see #7)
    • New GM, that was the problem: new guy can win with this team, this coach, plus tweaks
    • Improve the Defense: better, but still the main problem
    • Blow it Up: multiple big name trades, possibly new coach also, (assume picks and rebuild)
    • Get bigger/grittier: add big physical players in draft and low level trades: bottom six/defense

OK, you know how I love polls.

Every year we miss the playoffs these boards light up with people's notions about what is wrong with this team. I look to the experts, but they're careful not to call out people too much and cryptic at best. Plus, they don't all agree either. 

We all have our pet ideas: harder to play against, bigger, more scoring, more defense, Cam is not worth the money, the coach, the GM. Over and over.

Just wanted a kind of pulse for what most people think.

I left off trading Cam, because it just seems so inevitable, and if it happens, that is probably not enough, and if it doesn't, than is probably not enough in that direction either. Seems like it's own subject. Likewise w/ Khudini showing his stuff, goaltending itself, seems pretty good.

Trying to tease things out:

The get bigger/grittier assumes that we keep our main forwards and coach, but add big guys to the bottom lines and defense. If you want to get big in the skilled positions you should vote for moving big names out probably.  If you want more skill and scoring from the bottom 6, vote: #3.

Finally, I know that people will want to vote all of the above, or multiple options, but, well that isn't how these polls work. What is the BIGGEST problem.

I would make this a vote only poll, but unless it gets pinned it will quickly settle to the bottom of the page as votes to not bump it up, only comments do.

If mods would prefer it to be vote only, I'd be very happy w/ that. Maybe it could be pinned for a week or two, then unpinned and allowed to settle into the muck of board history after that, or if no one wants to vote.

Edited by remkin

My open letter to Mr K contains these bullet points....

1) JR as GM is NOT working

2) Muller is UNPROVEN and just not working, he owns the PP and its killed this team

3) Eric is NOT the 5th most valuable player in the NHL (not even close), stop paying him like he is -- this must be dealt with. Locals want a winner, not a "face."

4) Cam... well... lets just say he's not worth $6-mill a year and a move needs to be made (any move) to rid of us of him and as much of his salary as possible

5) Ronnie has done NOTHING of note to prove he can turn this around, just say NO to RF as the next GM

6) The current coaching staff (while we loved some of them as players) just is not working -- stop thinking Cane ex-players are they best choices for coaches just because the followed the party line -- they are not!

7) Your son was one of the most analytical guys in the office, we need MORE of that around here, NOT less

8) Think of PROVEN winners, think Mark Howe (hint hint)... think about a 20+ year winning culture of making the playoffs (hint hint) get some of that here in Raleigh.

Bottom line, this really is not that hard to figure out!!  Treat it like a business not a good ole boys club.

Well Greg I really was asking for the ONE biggest thing. Hoping for people to comment mainly to back up why that one thing is the biggest thing.

I guess since there was no Cam Ward on there it really made it tough to do.

I know that there is more than one problem, but what is the single biggest one?

Edited by remkin

I went with get bigger/ harder to play against, because quite frankly, it's tough to watch us get out classed and out muscled by the Bruins year in and year out.

Obviously this isn't just related to the Bruins, but you get my drift.

Edited by canesfan06

I don't know what category this fits so I won't vote but our biggest need is a Power Forward. That might help generate 2 scoring lines with the core top 6 players we have now.

Of course this won't cure our ills since almost everywhere you look we need to upgrade or change but it would be my top change.

I think the biggest problem right now is the fact that we don't know what the problem is. GM, coach, leadership, top end scoring, depth, goaltending, nobody has an all inclusive answer. As some have pointed out, this team doesn't really have an identity, are we small and skilled, tough to play against, anything?? You can't treat an illness when you don't know what a patient is sick with, and I think that is the trouble with this team. If we could point to one issue, we could address it, but when everything seems not quite right it could be a lot of time and experimentation to figure it out before something clicks.

I agree we need a true power forward and some grit added to this team. We need someone who is hard to move from in front of the opponents net. We never have anyone there to screen the goalie, put in rebounds, or just wreak havoc for the other team. I use to really like the way John Le Clair played in front of the net all the time. IF ONLY 

I'm going coach, but what I'm really thinking is SYSTEM.  So tweaks, not really, rather the system and the players just don't fit with each other.  What they're trying to do (or how they go about doing it) doesn't work.

There has been quite a bit of talk about the defense the last couple of seasons, maybe all the way back to 06-07. So other than collecting a paycheck, what has Glen Wesley been doing? 

My thoughts on our biggest problem would be scouting. Are we really getting the best evaluations? Would we have been better off using some of our farm rather than bringing in Dvorak and Komisarek?

I think the biggest problem right now is the fact that we don't know what the problem is. GM, coach, leadership, top end scoring, depth, goaltending, nobody has an all inclusive answer. As some have pointed out, this team doesn't really have an identity, are we small and skilled, tough to play against, anything?? You can't treat an illness when you don't know what a patient is sick with, and I think that is the trouble with this team. If we could point to one issue, we could address it, but when everything seems not quite right it could be a lot of time and experimentation to figure it out before something clicks.

This has been the biggest problem since 06 imo.  Figure this out and the rest may fall right into place.

This team needs to learn how to win 2-1, instead of trying to beat everyone 5-2.

I believe the latter is how JR builds teams.

Somebody needs to fix this. It's what Muller is trying to do, despite the results.

It won't be fixed in a season, but I think it's going to take a different approach and outlook at the top to get it done, whomever that ultimately falls upon. 

I'd probably choose player development as our biggest issue organizationally, and our biggest problem, but that goes up to the top and all the way to the AHL and below.  Lots of moving parts, and hard to pick out from a list of choices.

Leadership would be 1B, or 1A, swap em, doesn't matter.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I voted New GM.  I think JR has been a fantastic GM over the years, but I am wondering if a change at the top of the pyramid would shake the rest up and cause some significant changes on each tier below.  Suddenly, Muller has more pressure, as does the rest of the coaching staff - they need to come up with fresh ideas and please their new boss.  That pressure then falls on the players who are inconsistent... they need to prove their worth to the new GM and ensure their status as part of the team and franchise, plus they have to answer to the more pressured coaching staff and produce night after night or get out of Raleigh.

This all ties into the possible elephant in the room theory that I've had for a while - Raleigh isn't hard to please with this organization.  I don't mean the members of this site, nor do I refer to fans who follow the team as closely as us, but the people I'm thinking of are more like the casual fans... the ones who go to games once in a while and socialize, watch games on TV once in a while... the ones who wouldn't notice Ruutu is gone until a month later.  I think the majority of sports fans fall into the category.  This is Raleigh... not Toronto.  And until the organization is held accountable like large market organizations are... we'll always be the laid-back organization that allows inconsistency, lack of leadership, lack of motivation, etc to continue unchecked.  Honestly, do you think Eric Staal would still be the captain if he were on a Canadian team?  Pittsburgh?  Detroit?

I'm hoping JR's retirement/relocation is the shot in the arm the organization needs... and I hope the replacement is not a puppet.  We need someone who will take the bull by the horns and implement painful but necessary reconstruction of the organization.

A NEW ERA

Where is "It sucks"?

Since that isn't a choice, how about "All of the above"?

A GM that doesn't seem to have a vision of what he wants the team to be.

A coach that doesn't seem to have...something.

An overpaid, under performing top 6.

A team that is Charmin soft.

A team with a historically bad power play.

BAD DRAFTING AND BAD DEVELOPMENT

Edited by super_dave_1

SD, if I put All of the Above, I got a feeling that would get all of the votes. 

Thus far what I find interesting:

There is almost no stomach for moving a top forward. I had been in this camp too, but the one constant...E, has had a lot of chances to become what we are paying him to be....everyone except one, does not see that as the main issue, even after a new GM.

It is not a majority, but there is a lot of support for a new coach.

Not much support for blowing it up and going rebuild. 

If I were to act on the advice so far I'd: 

Add some size and grit, possibly dump the coach (about 50-50 if you add in the blow it up votes), and mostly leave the player mix alone. 

I do see the "we won't get value" issue. If another GM is pleased with his star first line center, why would he trade him for E.? or J? Maybe for Skinner? Moving out one of our big hosses is most likely going to bring back less talent and picks. A dilemma to be sure.

But I really thought that more people might pin this on the top paid players. Hmmm.

This team is an enigma to me!

Take the last Isles game for example.  They were inexplicably lifeless for the first 11 minutes (which honestly hasn't happened very often  this year imo). Inexcusable, putrid, describe it however you want. 

But what kind of team, given such a rotten start (down 4-0 after 11 minutes) in a relatively meaningless game (no realistic shot at a playoff spot) plays themselves back into such a game instead of laying down and saving energy for the next game?  No matter how frustrated you are with the team, doesn't that also shed some light on the team's character as well as the rotten start?

Hey, I'm not saying that there's nothing wrong, and that we don't need to make some changes.  But I do believe that it's over simplistic to just say "they out and out suck".

Edited by LakeLivin

So a new coach is 37%. But is the leading recommendation. 

I'd kind of like to edit the poll to fire Kirk or not, but I guess I'll wait and maybe do that one later. 

I guess that the plan will be for the new GM to make the coaching decision and the major personnel decisions. 

But not too late to vote. I guess if this falls back down, I'll let it settle to the murky bottom.

I still can't decide because there are so many problems.

I'm leaning towards trading players from the top six, I'm tired of E. Staal for the many reasons already stated. A new article on Bleacher Report talked about Staal's decline each year and his future with the Canes.

I'm also tired of Skinner. One of Muller's goals was to make Skinner a + player if anyone remembers that. How is that going? I've never seen a player more reluctant to engage physically. He plays his own game no matter the score. His defense is horrific, and putting him at center means he would even be more of a liability. He has talent, that is obvious, but there are so many other holes in his game and I've seen no improvement in those areas despite them repeatedly being talked about.

Semin should stay, he has worked hard since being called out and his +/- is not an issue. Whatever line he is on seems to generate chances. I also think he wants to be here. He's also our most skilled player.

I am ok with keeping Jordan or moving him. I like a lot of what he does, but at 6 million per year you expect a little more.

The eye test over the last few seasons tells me that moving Eric and possibly Skinner gives us the best chance to free up a lot of money and bring in significant pieces. As others have said though, it has to be the right move with high level talent coming back to us via trade or through free agency.

Like I said, there are so many problems though...

The poll is flawed, which is why it is not conclusive. It should ask about a change in on-ice leadership.

I've been one of E. Staal's biggest critics, but have maintained throughout that I'd like to see him succeed here. That remains true. But his captaincy has failed. Pure and simple. SaskCanesFan and I had a great conversation last week on another thread. Here is the crux of what we said, with a couple of small refinements of my own.

When the season ends, Ronnie (new GM) sits Eric down with Muller in the room and tells him he has lost the C. If Eric doesn't accept that, we work a trade.

There are two under-achieving teams right now with two top players each which many hockey insiders believe need a change of scene to pay to their full potentials: The Hurricanes (Cam and E.) and the Canucks (Edler and Kesler). A trade would potentially do both franchises and all four players a world of good. From the 'Canes side: We trade our #1 center for another, and add a proven top-line D-man in exchange for Cam. For the 'Nucks, they get two guys who were keys to a Stanley Cup as youngsters but can't seen to get motivated to pursue another one in the same market - one of them a Conn Smythe winning goaltender, and the 'Nucks need a goaltender. Since Cam's from Western Canada, that alone may be enough to motivate him. Eric, meanwhile, has a history of responding when dissed, and very honestly, I think he'd take even the suggestion that he relinquish the C as a dis, and then agree to waive his NTC. The 'Nucks also get a guy in Eric who is two years younger than Kesler, while the 'Canes, in Kesler, get a guy who has played with Malhotra.

Talk of trading Skinner is crazy. Along with Lindy, Murph (who Skins played with at Kitchener), Nash, and the just-signed diGuiseppe, Skins is our future. He has worked very hard to change his game to avoid getting his bell rung and still be productive. "Rewarding" his hard work and clear dedication - which have returned him to his rookie-of-the-year form - would be an insult, and, I believe, the last thing JR/Ronnie are likely to do. The chemistry among Skinner, Lindy, Murph and Nash is already so obvious - far better than anything E has found with anyone else, despite the parade of forwards we've lavished on him over the past five years. Even when we got Cole back, reportedly at E's request, the results were mixed at best. And while there now appears to be some early chemistry with Lok, we've seen that before, too: A new face invigorates Eric for a few weeks, no more. To me, that is a strong indication that a new building, a new fan base and a new set of teammates is what E (and Cam) will need to play to their potentials again - and they are saying the exact same things about Edler and Kesler in Vancouver.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Cam and E. Staal for Kesler and Edler sounds good to me, but it is complicated by the NTC situation.  I am not sure E. would leave his brother after dragging him out of Pittsburg and I am pretty sure we wouldn't be high on Kesler's list.

I might have had a harder time picking if you didn't group "trade top line forwards" and instead made it "trade Eric Staal", I like the other 3 to stay.

But really, even then, "get Bigger/Grittier" is the obvious choice for me.  We continuously pass up chances to hit even when we have guys perfectly lined up.  I mean, at this point, Murphy and Gerbe look more willing to hit than anyone else.  Bowman used to hit, now he doesn't.  The culture of softness has to end.  We are way too soft, WAY TOO SOFT.

Adding grit has a side effect of being more enjoyable to watch, and that adds fans.  Even when you are losing, when your team starts hitting the crap out of the opponent, you at least feel like you are competing. 

"A lot of you could be skating around with eggs out there and not even break them"  -Coach Chadwick "Youngblood"

Oh, here goes Hag again...

Erik Cole never passed up a hit he had lined up.  He led the team in hits many times.  You can't just throw these guys away when they provide you intangibles (or tangibles in this case) that are important to the game.  At least replace what you got rid of.

A couple of points:

The poll already has too many options. That combined with no one really knowing what the problem is, is why it it not conclusive. Adding another line "strip" Eric of the C would just make it harder to be conclusive. Also, in my opinion E.'s play has really tailed off, and is a huge problem. Stripping him of the C might work, might just make him worse. 

I am thinking Top that you would vote for trading a top forward given the choices. But we have only one vote there, Krule.  Anyway, the trade you propose would be interesting if it could be pulled off, but that seems like a long shot.

The idea on trade top forwards was to allow the idea the the problem lies in one or more top forwards lack of production/leadership. If thats the problem shake it up. I didn't put each forward separately since we have so many choices already.

I will say that I am thinking more and more that moving a top forward does need to happen, and that it just might be E. that should go. But the NTC and Jordan being here might really make that tough.

On Skinner. If one only notices his play in the O Zone, one is missing a huge gaping problem in his game. Ask yourself how a guy with 30 goals is -14, worst on the team. Then watch him everywhere except where a goal might come. Despite having put up 180 points and 94 goals already, he is a disturbing -40 for his career. When Jeff Skinner is on the ice, odds are far greater that the team will go negative on the scoreboard. This is a huge problem IMO. And how can you get this fixed? Some seriously ingrained bad habits are already there. 

On E. I am thinking more and more that he is a big issue. I didn't notice him last night again. I am thinking more and more, that JR's fatal mistake was doubling down on the Staals. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, a big mess.

Edited by remkin