The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Loktionov: Does management resign him?

I don't know if its a consensus. I don't think we are bullied like the past couple of seasons when Skiiner was taking a beating and the rest of the team bought tickets to watch but we do get pushed off the puck a lot. We are still lacking some toughness and need to address that. Power forward, tougher 4th line, a hard to play against Dman for a start.

The reason to sign Loktionov is because he is fast and looks like he could break out. More importantly he gives you insurance if you trade one or more of our top 9. It isn't out of the question (IMO) that he could be signed and traded as part of a package if the right deal presented itself. Those are the reasons I would make him an offer.

OBXer, Your point regarding "getting pushed off the puck" is exactly what I was driving at.I'm not sure why PK17 is splitting hairs, but from where we sit in 326, it's become painful to see some of these "larger", "grittier, "tougher" or however anyone wants to label these teams, come to our barn, as the puck seems to be cycled infinately around our goal. Compare that to ours, and we seem to rarely be successful at cycling, and thus wearing out our opponent's players. Whether it's because we lack size, determinatiion, grit, skill with puck movement, side or end board battle, identity or however anyone prefers to call it, in my untrained eyes, the puck stays in our opponents' offense infinately longer than ours.

Now can we reverse that on occasions, definately, and I have also witnessed complete domination by our guys, but this is very much not the case with the tougher teams. How we get to this level is debatable, but size and/or toughness seems to work. I concede that having an identity could change that, if our players could enforce their will and system on other teams, but this has been the flaw in our game. Either our players are not "buying into" Muller's system, or they cannot maintain it.

And I do fully agree with rem, that this year seems to be a complete anomoly, in so far as not very many of our players seem to have hit their stride. Further I'm of the opinion also that a "complete rebuild" is unnecessary because I feel that most of the important pieces are in place. I just really think that we've run into "The Perfect Storm" so to speak with underachievement. Untimely, preseason injuries to key pieces, coupled with the disaster of losing both starting goalies started the ball rolling, and we have never recovered.; 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Settling for the Loktionov's of the world because he looks to be a step or two ahead of the Nash's and Bowan's isn't what I call setting our sights very high.

True this coastal, and I think a corollary to this, as I've attempted to state, is the more players we pick up in his size range, the more we undervalue each and every one of them. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is we need BALANCE, and I'm not fixated on size only, but if we populate our team with 5ft 8 to 5ft 11in players, than where does the bulk come from to battle. Now I know that the retort to my statement will be that size does not necessarily equate to grit, toughness, etc. but as so often stated on these boards, we "need to get bigger". A tean of Mighty Mites, no matter how skilled, will not get it done. 

Settling for the Loktionov's of the world because he looks to be a step or two ahead of the Nash's and Bowan's isn't what I call setting our sights very high.

Agreed, we can't settle for the Loktionovs. But if he's an upgrade to a Nash or Bowman, shouldn't we make that move in addition to whatever bigger moves we (need to) make?

I agree, but if the question is "does management resign him", I'm thinking they do.

Scores again last night. 4 pts in 5 games, 6/12. 

He had a sort of bad turnover, but all in all, I like this guy. 

Is he big? No. 

But he has a skill level that could make him a steal on the third line. How many times have we lamented that we lack supporting scoring.

Well other than Gerbe, we still do. 

No, this he is not going to be Evgeni Malkin, but we are talking about finding a third liner that can do the little things, but also, unlike all of our lower tiered player except Gerbe, can hit the broad side of a barn with the puck and make plays at the NHL level. 

His last 12 games with the Canes he has put up .5 ppg. and his last 5 games .8 ppg.  I'm not saying that he'll break 40 or 65 points over 82, but as I mentioned before I see him as a pretty easy 35 ppg guy. If he keeps back checking also....

Dwyer is having his most offensively productive year ever, theoretically on pace for 24 points. Best ever. 

Every team has to fill it's bottom 6. If a guy already has proven chops, he wants top 6 money. Seems that finding a guy who might just arrive and surprise on line 3 is one way to get scorers on that line without raiding your top 6. 

Agreed, we can't settle for the Loktionovs. But if he's an upgrade to a Nash or Bowman, shouldn't we make that move in addition to whatever bigger moves we (need to) make?

Most definitely.

And those bigger moves would include building an NHL fourth line that nobody wants to play against, and a 3rd line that can grind and take some pressure off of the top-6, neither of which we have, or have had since 2006.

Not a bottom six full of top-6 washouts with no defined role and\or other players because they are cheap and we can sign them.  That isn't working.

Really like Loktionov.  I think we will likely qualify him.

I don't care for the way the bottom six has been constructed since the Cup run.  I really hope this changes.  If Loktionov can be part of this then I'm all for it.  I'm not for the plug and pray approach we seem to get every season from JR.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I really like what I've seen so far with him.  He actually has the ability to finish and score which is rare on the Hurricanes this year.  He has speed and skill.   He reminds me of a mix between Skinner and Gerbe.   Give him a small contract and lets see what he can do.  I can see him being a 20 goal scorer.  However a lot of players come to the canes and do great at first so we got to be careful.

I worry about this with Sekera too, we're gonna give him a big long term contract and he's gonna stink next year.  Hopefully not but until a player has two consistent seasons I don't trust anything.