The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Give Malhotra or Skinner the Masterton.

It's hard to think of any two players more deserving. Malhotra has overcome a tremendous challenge to return to the NHL. Skinner has overcome several - all in the form of concussions - and returned to his rookie-of-the-year form.

About the Masterton Trophy.

I didn't think about Skinner for this with all the Malhotra talk, but you make a great point.

Skinner is too inconsistent.  Yes he scored 30 goals this season BUT there was almost 25-30 games where he was not doing anything.  If I had to pick one player to wear the C based on worth ethic and professionalism it would be Sekera.

Skinner is too inconsistent.  Yes he scored 30 goals this season BUT there was almost 25-30 games where he was not doing anything.  If I had to pick one player to wear the C based on worth ethic and professionalism it would be Sekera.

What does that have to do with the Masterton?

BDC wrote: I misread this.  I would still say Sekera.

What has Sekera overcome to earn the Masterton? (See the original post to learn the criteria for the trophy.)

12 hours later: Okay, someone here (who shall remain nameless) posted a response to my question, then apparently canceled the reply. But because it is so perfect, I reproduce it here:

My question: What has Sekera overcome to earn the Masterton?

Anonymous reply: "He played in Buffalo."

Heh.

Edited by top-shelf-1

What has Sekera overcome to earn the Masterton? (See the original post to learn the criteria for the trophy.)

12 hours later: Okay, someone here (who shall remain nameless) posted a response to my question, then apparently canceled the reply. But because it is so perfect, I reproduce it here:

Heh.

Beautiful!   :)

What has Sekera overcome to earn the Masterton?

:rofl:

But seriously, I don't see this as even being close.  A lot of players have successfully come back from concussions.  Malhotra is effectively blind in one eye. He didn't recover from an injury to play again (ala Skinner), he's playing (at the NHL level) with a serious injury, a situation Vancouver thought was so dangerous they wouldn't let him do it, even though he was highly valued by the organization.    

And Malhotra has significantly contributed to the team this year imo.  Unfortunately it's in ways that aren't as easily recognizable as point totals.  Manny is currently third in the NHL in FO% at 59.1% (min 350 total faceoffs).  And the Canes are 5th in the league in FO%, a result I think most here would agree is due in large part to the addition of Manny.  And I suspect that a large part of whatever leadership we had came more from Manny than anybody else on the team.

Bottom line:  I'll be really disappointed if Malhotra doesn't win the Masterton this year.

I'd love to see Malholtra receive this honor after all he did to get back to the league.

Tripp and John mentioned the road he took last night during the Pens game.

Edited by hopper915

I agree, all, and it's clear the Canes broadcasters are lobbying hard.

I think Manny will get it, and deservedly so. That said, assuming Skinner strings together several seasons at this level - AND assuming the NHL wants to continue sending a message about hits to the head - bestowing the Masterton on someone who returned to form after three of them would be a great way to do that.

Going a bit off my own topic, though: Isn't it funny how hits to the head become a lot less "important" to the league as the playoffs near? Anyone who saw that criminal Orpik's hit on Toews (no, I have not and never will forgive his hit on Cole) might agree with me that hockey probably needs what football has: "Unnecessary Roughness." There is no question Orpik's hit on Toews was clean by hockey standards. There is also no question (in my mind) that the violence of it, the fact that Toews' head was involved, and Orpik's history made him deserving of a penalty, and a major at that. He didn't need to go that extreme to achieve his desired result of separating Towes from the puck. If that were to be the standard, as it is in the NFL - did the player use more force than necessary to achieve his task - AND if the penalty were a major that teams were shorthanded for the duration of, we'd solve the hits to the head problem real fast. 

But I'm still not convinced the League is 100 percent committed to solving that problem.

Glad you guys enjoyed the "he played in Buffalo" comment.

Not sure why I deleted it.

Me neither! Glad I got the notification and glad you "owned" it. Hilarious.

I laughed :)

It's a good enough bit that I ran it by my parents last night at the game and got hearty laughter.  Buffalo slams are universally liked.

Heh.

Given our level of play, how soon does that get changed to Raleigh. 

Malhotra has my vote, Skinner not even in consideration.. 

Did the guys says why?

I don't see it happening because since 2000 when Adam Graves got it for dedication to hockey, everyone else has been injury/illness stories.

I'm not sure who the Ducks are putting up, tried searching to see if they had and I don't see anything. But if the Ducks put up Selanne, I think of the traits the Masterton requires and I think of Teemu before Jagr. Jagr spent most of his career being a gun for sale, Teemu while he did leave the Ducks for a short period has really been the cornerstone of that team for years and shown far more dedication to hockey in Anaheim then Jagr's shown anywhere including the KHL. 

However still before any of that I think Malholtra's a better feel good story which is what it seems the Masterton lately goes for.

Guys on XM keep saying Jagr is the man.