The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cclifford10

Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?

Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?

• Kirk Muller
    • Jeff Daniels
    • Rod Brind'Amour
    • John Tortorella (if fired by Vancouver as expected)
    • Scott Walker
    • Peter Laviolette
    • Other (add in comments below)

Many of us, including myself, believe that the first order of business for the new general manager (assuming JR really steps down) is to decide who should be coaching the team going forward. So let's hear it; who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?

Edited by cclifford10

could be? Should be? would be?  We are in the the hands of the hockey gods or the new GM. Whoever he decides. We will either be happy or crying. This team needs a coach that is not afraid to "bench" even the captain or "best player" for under performing. A coach that won't put up with "slow starts" 3rd period melt downs and not being able to put a game to bed.............who is available with these credentials?

Edited by hockeybaby

I'm somewhat certain it will be Muller to at least start next season. If things go bad, well take a number and get in line I guess.

I would give him a very short leash to start the season.  If he does not have a winning record in the team's first 15 games yank the leash.

It'll be Muller, and the length of his "leash" is probably the All-Star break.

Like it or not, Muller is widely respected among hockey's elite - most of whom also give a fan base anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon about as much respect as we all do the Slugs. Muller has the hockey pedigree, the hockey knowledge, and a great (if brief) record at the AHL level. He also has the respect of Brindy, Ronnie, Manny, and the kids on this team are growing under him by leaps and bounds.

The reason Kirk talks about "going to the right areas" and "playing the right way" and is positive even after bad losses is because he is teaching the youth on this team. Of his nearly 1,000 NHL points in 19 seasons, two-thirds were assists, and he understands that putting the puck in the net is the smaller part of success in hockey. The larger part is doing the hard work that enables puck possession. That begins at the face-off dot and ends with the last pass before the red light goes on. 

Watch the two assists Skinner gave Lindy last night. I mean it, go the highlights and really watch them. Watch the work that went into getting Lindy the puck. The first pass was ridiculous enough, but the second assist wasn't even a pass. It was a touch, and it resulted from a 1-2-3 forecheck straight out of "Howie Meeker's Hockey Basics." Textbook stuff. The reason it's in the textbook? It works.

Muller understands that in the "new NHL," the first team to three goals usually wins, and the first team to four nearly always does, and that putting (and pursuing) the puck in the right places translates into scoring. Giving him anything less than three full seasons to turn around a team that played under the "2 is enough" mentality of Mo for so long would be unfair. The end of this season will be just over two, in terms of games played, thanks to the lockout. I think that if the team is not in or near a playoff spot by next year's All-Star break, the team will look seriously at changing coaches. But I also think they owe Muller that amount of time for his system to become engrained.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I agree that I think Muller will be the coach.  My question was who SHOULD be the coach.  If Muller is the coach, I think moving Eric Staal is a must.  For whatever reason, they are not working!

I agree that I think Muller will be the coach.  My question was who SHOULD be the coach.  If Muller is the coach, I think moving Eric Staal is a must.  For whatever reason, they are not working!

wonder what kind of relationship E. Staal has with Mueller?  all that I know is that it is a royal pain working in an environmemnt where there is a severe personality conflict

Well, as I said, the team owes Muller three full seasons, so I therefore believe Muller SHOULD be coach next season. I also, very honestly, would prefer he got all of next season and til the ASB of 2015 to 16, because he is on a huge learning curve, and it's not like no one knew that when we hired him. One element of building a winner that no one has talked about much is that the team and coach grow together. IMO, the Canes are in a rebuild and - unlike the Slugs or Oilers, to cite just two examples - have at least been competitive for most of the past five years they've been in it. Only two players remain from the Stanley Cup team, and one if not both will be gone in the off season. 

wonder what kind of relationship E. Staal has with Mueller?  all that I know is that it is a royal pain working in an environmemnt where there is a severe personality conflict

We can't now, of course, but we can speculate - which is half the fun :) My guess is that any friction between E and the coaching staff starts with Roddy. There two have such ridiculously different styles of both play and leadership. We know Rod worked for a long time with Eric at the dot, and Eric, while he has improved there, is no Rod. That in itself could have led to friction, but I'll venture that the difference in their overall styles is the real issue - and since Kirk was the same kind of player as Rod… well, do the math.

Something about the JR-Kirk-Staal brothers triangle is not working. JR has removed himself, but is that enough?

I don't know how exactly you do it, but I am also inclined to think if Muller says one or both Staals should go. It is hard to see how JR stepping down will be that big of a change if nothing else is done. I'd be willing to give the Staals one bad year, but frankly for the most part it's been two now. 

As I've put elsewhere if the Staals were just performing on reasonable expectations for average for them, we'd be in a different place right now. If they were both having very good years....makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Something about the JR-Kirk-Staal brothers triangle is not working. JR has removed himself, but is that enough?

I don't know how exactly you do it, but I am also inclined to think if Muller says one or both Staals should go. It is hard to see how JR stepping down will be that big of a change if nothing else is done. I'd be willing to give the Staals one bad year, but frankly for the most part it's been two now. 

As I've put elsewhere if the Staals were just performing on reasonable expectations for average for them, we'd be in a different place right now. If they were both having very good years....makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

the Staal brothers are average hockey players making a far above average salary.  neither deserves a letter on his jersey.

I really don't think Eric Staal fits Muller's system, but Jordan is actually more of a grinder and might find success playing for Muller.  He has looked much better paired with Semin, who despite his reputation as an offense only guy, is actually a pretty solid defensive forward.

I really like the way Muller has Skinner and Lindholm playing right now and they are the future.

I don't think Kirk Muller is going anywhere, just a hunch.

I'll be watching with interest to see if he can keep the team's head in it for 5 more games.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I voted for Rod...besides my obvious man-crush on him...he'd hold the players accountable.  Can you imagine his post-game workout sessions after LOSING games?

Right now I think Ted Nolan has a better chance of getting his team into next seasons playoffs than Muller. I'll vote for the desire for improvement and the drive to compete at the highest levels. Rod is my choice for next coach. With Ron as GM and Rod as coach we will have proven winners working at improving this team.

I put my vote in for Rod as well. I just feel he has the fire that is needed to be a head coach. He would definatly be my first choice for the job if I was in Francis' shoes. Great 2-way player, possibly an even better coach?!?

Edited by shauniac79

I voted "other."

I want someone with a proven record/clear direction, and I want someone from outside the organization. I don't want any re-treads. I don't want an ex-player with limited/no coaching experience. Being a good player or leader is a completely different animal than coaching.

Ideally these guys spend years learning the X's and O's of hockey, learning strategies and counter-strategies. They learn what team balance is and what players are suited for specific roles. They learn to identify what types of players best fit what they are trying to do. They learn how to deal with highly paid athletes on a personal and professional level. And so on...

Coaches have to pay their dues, and there is a reason for that.

Right now I think Ted Nolan has a better chance of getting his team into next seasons playoffs than Muller. I'll vote for the desire for improvement and the drive to compete at the highest levels. Rod is my choice for next coach. With Ron as GM and Rod as coach we will have proven winners working at improving this team.

I seem to recall that back in the day, that there were rumors around that Ron and Rod's relationship was not the best! That being said, I also remember that before Moe II regime, I really wanted Nolan here. Oh well, that's water under the bridge.

On another front, what are you guys' opinion on a change at GM as regards to when it'll occur? I've just commented to a friend that I sincerely hope that it will take place at warp speed as soon as the league allows and candidates become available. If Francis is the chosen one, I hope there will be an announcement ASAP by the powers to be. That way, whoever it is will hit the ground running so to speak, as there has to be a quick resolution on any coaching change, as well as player evaluation, God forbid that if JR makes good on his statement of "stepping down", that he be sort of a "lame duck" administrator and make these crucial decisions going forward which would than impact the future GM??

I would think the change will be made swiftly. I think the decision on GM and Coach will be made nearly simultaneously.

Hope you 2 are correct. Sad too that this is what the 13-14 season boils down to, that I'm sitting here waiting for a GM and possible coaching change as a highlight to the year!! oh well , c'est la vie as Cajuns would say.

Edited by KJUNKANE

unbelievable to me that Mo brings us to eastern conf. finals, than has bad year and everyone calls for his head. Lavi wins the cup than has bad year and everyone calls for his head. But King Muller has now lead us to nothing but a garbage looking team on the ice for 2 half seasons and a full season and everyone wants to give him another try??? what??? It's not gonna work!! We looked like garbage for the last 25 games last year and most of this season. Every high scoring player is having a career worst year. Coach is not doing his job, he needs to be fired the day after the season ends. Eric and Jordan deserve another season with a new coach, and Muller does not deserve another season with a new team.

And all the trade Eric Staal talk is ridiculous too, this is his first bad year. Last year he and Semin scored like crazy during the lockout season and every other season he has put up 70-100points. How many guys in the NHL can say they have put up a minimum of 70points per year there whole career? He has always been a slumper and it is frustrating but it is a long season and in the end he contributes more points per season than any other Hurricane player ever has including Francis and Brindy who averaged 50-60 points per season with us. Now we have Jordan putting up 40-50 points per season and bringing a lot of other stuff to the table too.

Oh and I voted for Jeff Daniels, he wins every year with Charlotte and goes to the playoffs almost every year with them, he has more than proven himself down there for years (200-151-41) record overall and 124-82-26 his first 3 seasons there. , he was assistant coach when we won the Stanley cup and he's gone deep in the playoffs several times with charlotte. Also, if our Ahl prospects are so junky than how does he find a way to make that team down there win every year? I'd rather bring someone not on that list in thats a proven NHL coach but definitely Daniels out of those choices.

His name is Kirk Muller. Not Kurt Muller. Not Kirk Mueller. Seriously, why is it so hard for people to remember the name of the coach of their supposed favorite hockey team?

That being said I don't see him here after this season so I can't wait to see who we hire and how his name gets butchered on message boards.

Edited by richardfoc