The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cclifford10

Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?

Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for the 2014-15 NHL season?

• Kirk Muller
    • Jeff Daniels
    • Rod Brind'Amour
    • John Tortorella (if fired by Vancouver as expected)
    • Scott Walker
    • Peter Laviolette
    • Other (add in comments below)

Would any of those who believe Muller will not be back like to revisit their opinions after the Karmanos interview tonight? I already vented on the PK interview thread, but it sure sounds like Muller has the owner's support. Of course, with games (even meaningless ones) left in the season, PK can't announce the firing of the head coach. But he could have at least made a coy statement that the organization would be reviewing all facets of its operation at the conclusion of the season. On another note, I have observed many times in professional sports that the vote of confidence from the owner is usually the last event before a coach is canned.

I voted for Scott Walker because he was incredibly tough as a player, and has few of his former teammates to worry about codling if he is given the chance. And he would certainly know if E. Staal is a part of the problem or a part of the solution. I think we need a new coach, OR a new GM, OR both from outside the organization. And we need to make the changes before any further moves with long-term implications are undertaken. As for Muller's history as a player being any indication of his ability to be a good NHL coach, I seem to remember that Gretzky never took Phoenix to the playoffs. And whatever record Muller had in the AHL, I think he had coached about 21 career games in the AHL when he was hired. He may be a great coach for someone else someday, and I wish him success, but he is not getting the best out of any of our high priced players (well, maybe Skinner on the offensive side of the puck), and we can't possibly dump them all. I'm not sure we can move any of them without retaining salary, and a lot of it.

I think that having Stormy as HC and the Storm Squad as his assistants would provide as much motivation as the current crop of coaches

His name is Kirk Muller. Not Kurt Muller. Not Kirk Mueller. Seriously, why is it so hard for people to remember the name of the coach of their supposed favorite hockey team?

That being said I don't see him here after this season so I can't wait to see who we hire and how his name gets butchered on message boards.

Hopefully he won't be around long enough for his name to matter.

I think that having Stormy as HC and the Storm Squad as his assistants would provide as much motivation as the current crop of coaches

Hey, I jumped over the glass and coached that 3rd period of the Habs game on NYE...look at the results of that game.

AWACSooner for HC!!!!!

If the information I found on-line is correct Mueller had less than one full season as an AHL head coach before he was hired as head coach of the Canes.  What are the factors that lead to his selection? 

If the information I found on-line is correct Mueller had less than one full season as an AHL head coach before he was hired as head coach of the Canes.  What are the factors that lead to his selection? 

The fact that Montreal was gonna swipe him if JR didn't get him first...and to think that Habs fans were taking to their boards PISSED at their GM for not grabbing him first...look how that turned out for both teams...

The fact that Montreal was gonna swipe him if JR didn't get him first...and to think that Habs fans were taking to their boards PISSED at their GM for not grabbing him first...look how that turned out for both teams...

I think he eventually will make a great coach.  Just kind of surpised he is just learning the skills of becoming one

I'm confused (as usual).

We have a thread about who will take over when Muller gets fired.

Many (including myself) have bashed PK for his interview and that we only need "tweaks."

In the poll about what the biggest problem with this team is, the coach is tied for the lead.

Many here can't even spell his name correctly.

Yet here Muller is leading in votes (although total vote count is limited).

For those voting Muller please help me understand why you are voting for him. What have you seen in the last three seasons that makes you want him back? In my opinion our team looks lost half the time. We start poorly. Our PP is consistently horrific. We seem to have no plan offensively. We hear the same tired "stay the course" comments. I see no passion/fire from him. I have seen ZERO accountability.

Yet he leads this poll.

Why?

Or is it just a case of mistaken identity? Is there a great coach out there named Kurt Mueller that I don't know about?

Edited by Kyrule

I think he eventually will make a great coach.  Just kind of surpised he is just learning the skills of becoming one

Actually, Muller head coached at the college level years ago, before his assistantship with the Habs. Even then, his brief (17 games, 10-6-1) AHL stint raised eyebrows among the hockey punditry when we hired him, though the universal remark when it happened was about his his skill working with kids. A look at the acquisitions we've made since we hired him confirms he is here for the foreseeable future - and the way the kids have carried this team all year confirms that further. Moveover, he's an Ontario boy, so Rutherford surely knows him quite well.

Here's a reality check for those voting for Roddy: NHL head coaching jobs never go to anyone who has not head coached at the junior, college, or AHL level - preferably two out of three. Even Patrick Roy, a co-owner and GM of the Quebec Ramparts, would not be coaching the Avs (he's about to win coach of the year) if he hadn't also been the Rampart's head coach. If Roddy wants to be a head coach - and there's no telling - he needs to go away for a while first. I'll venture a guess that if he indeed does want an NHL job one day, it will be announced in the off-season that he will trade places with Jeff Daniels - something Muller might want anyway, since we're using Charlotte kids a bunch. It's based on nothing I saw or heard, but I get the sense Muller really likes Chris Terry's work ethic, and I think he'll get his best chance ever to make the roster next fall.

In my opinion our team looks lost half the time.

Huh - and before Eric went to wing, there was a Staal on the ice - bingo! Half the time!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well according to Mr Peter K, we have a fine coaching staff... a good group, because after all PK had a nice time and dinner with them in New York City a few nights ago.

So what more could us impatient fans possibly want in a coaching staff?
If PK enjoyed his dinner with them, that's all that counts!!

:sarcasmalert:

Edited by Greg-N-Ral