The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
melissa-2

I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled...

So I was wondering, has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled? What can I expect? Any one have any complications? Basically, how much is it going to suck? :)

But my main question is.... I'm supposed to go to the Bills game Friday night. My operation is Thursday morning...WILL I BE ABLE TO GO?!?! :D

1. Yes.

2. Your cheeks are going to be swollen and very sore. Don't expect to eat anything solid for a few days.

3. If you take care of yourself and take it easy afterwards, you should be fine.

4. On a suck factor of 1-10, getting wisdom teeth pulled ranks about an 8.

5. You may want to skip the game.

Get the anesthesia. Trust me. Just be sure to take it easy for a few days after your surgery.

Sup ya'll

So, I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled next Thursday, and I'm kinda freaking out about it. I've never had any type of surgury, so I didn't want to be under anesthesia. So they're just going to use the "gas mask" on me.

I'm really scared about getting them pulled. I always think the worst in every situation, so I'm thinking anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. lol

So I was wondering, has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled? What can I expect? Any one have any complications? Basically, how much is it going to suck? :)

But my main question is.... I'm supposed to go to the Bills game Friday night. My operation is Thursday morning...WILL I BE ABLE TO GO?!?! :D

When I got mine out, all 4 of them were abscessed & the gums around them were so swollen that I couldn't close my mouth completely, & we won't even go into how painful it was to try to eat!! Getting them all out, esp. all at once, was a massive relief & I've not had anymore problems w/ those gums again (there are rare occassions to where sometimes one or more can grow back, believe it or not). I got them done back in Jan. of '88 & from what I can remember is that the only problem the dentist had was that one of them had split in half while he was pulling it out. Other than that, all went well & I was very happy to have them all out. I didn't want the gas mask (the gas makes me very sick on the stomach), so we did it all w/ LOTS of novocaine! Every person & every mouth is different so I don't know what to tell you about what to expect, but my advice is to try to stay as cool, calm & collected as possible, Melissa. Good luck to you & let us know how it all goes, okay? I'll keep you in my thoughts & send positive vibes your way on Thursday. Oh, & don't expect to be able to drink out of a straw right after it, either.

Ohhh....I had a tooth pulled a few years back (non wisdom) and I went with the gas over the IV and honestly it wasnt that bad....I just remember laughing a lot lol.....but like trucanaic said if I was you i'd look into a zandy for the anxicity (sp?) your dentist should be able to give you one like the night before or w/e.....anyways good luck!

I don't have a heart mur mur. And I don't think I have an irregular heart beat. But 3 times when I went to give blood, I couldn't because my heart was beating way to fast (about 120!) But I have my physical tomorrow, so I'll find out then

I had my wisdom teeth pulled. It wasn't that bad. Chances are, you won't remember a good portion of the day following the pulling. After that, it's just a matter of dealing with your mouth being a little sore for a day or two.

I don't have a heart mur mur. And I don't think I have an irregular heart beat. But 3 times when I went to give blood, I couldn't because my heart was beating way to fast (about 120!) But I have my physicaly tomorrow, so I'll find out then

Okay, good, 'cause if you do then they have to give you a pill to take an hour before you get your teeth pulled to fight off any infection you could get as a result.

Just tryin' to look out for you.

I had mine done almost 15 years ago. I don't remember much about the anesthesia, I just remember opening my eyes once and seeing blood all over the doctor's gloves. Apparently he had a hard time getting a couple of them out because I remember him hammering and chiseling away for quite a while. My recovery was average. I didn't swell too bad or take too long to heal but I was out of commission for a few days. To me the nasty smelling stitches were the worst part of the whole thing.

My brother, on the other hand, never skipped a beat and was at Taco Bell eating their hot sauce the very next day.

I only had 3 and I had the anesthesia. I remember sleeping that first day away and the next couple of days not even eating a thing. I hated how the stitches felt when they started coming lose. It was like a string that just dangled in your mouth haha! I would recommend you get the anesthesia. It feels freakin awesome. The guy who did it said "count to 10" I said, "one, twoo, theeee, fouuuuur, zzzzzzzzzzz" HAHA!

I had all of mine cut out(they hadn't started coming in) back in '82 so it's been a while but I had them knock me out all the way-didn't wanna hear anything! I had sore cheeks for about 2 days-ice packs wil help with that. I sleep for a few hours after I got home. from the surgery I went to a movie 2 days later-I think it was "ET" and it was kinda hard laughing with stiff, sore cheeks. yep-the soft foods will be your friend for a few days!

All I have to say is I'm Sorry.

I had mine pulled 2 different ways. I first went cause one of my top wisdom teeth was hurting. Well my dentist wanted to go ahead and pull that tooth that day. I thought he was nuts, but it was hurting bad. He assured me that I wouldn't feel a thing. He said the top teeth are the easiest to pull. So I let him novacine me up and pull the tooth. He had it out in a matter of minutes and I didn't feel a thing. Went back to work and ate a big ol cheeseburger that night.

The following week I went back to have the other 3 pulled. He prescribed me a vicadine (sp) to take an hour before my appt. Well by the time I got there, the vicadine kicked in and I didn't have a care in the world. I had the gas and between that and the vicadine, I actually fell asleep. Didn't feel a thing. Went home took my codeine (sp) and passed out. I slept all day.

Applesauce, jello, and pudding will be your foods literally. I for one wouldn't have been able to go to a sporting event the day after cause I was really sore and just miserable, but everyone is different, so you might be able to do it.

Are you having them pulled, as in they've already come out through your gums? I had to get mine surgically removed before they came out along with four other teeth in order to get braces. This was maybe 3 years ago. It's really not that bad. Definetely get the anesthestic and take lots of liquids afterwards once you're sure you can stomach it. It's not that painful and for me the only problem was not being able to eat solid foods. I can't tell you how crazy I went wanting to eat what my family was having while I was stuck on soup and ice cream haha.

They used laughing gas on me. I was messed up when i left. I got lost in Eckerd looking for a bathroom (and enjoyed every second)... After the laughing gas wears off it really sucks though. My gums were swollen and bleeding everywhere. I basically sat on the sofa with gauze in my mouth for three days...

Mine was miserable for a day or two, not because of the surgery itself (I don't even remember it, since I had anesthesia), but because of the sheer amount of bleeding that I had to swab up in my mouth for what seemed like half the day afterwards, followed by the inability to put anything near solid in your mouth without regretting it.

But really, in retrospect, I didn't have as bad a time with it as many others here have - I didn't really have any dull pain or anything (aside from when a piece of food made it's way back there uncontrollably <_< ). Just the annoying blood for a few hours (which strangely was subsided by forcing lemonade down my throat to "get out the taste"), and then gingerly eating and brushing for a few days afterward. After a week or so, you're good as new. ;)

Take my advice - I'm a doctor.

On TV, at least. :P

I had my physical with my regular doctor today. He said my heart beat was pretty fast, so he wants to get it checked out. I'm going to have an EKG, blood work for my thyroid and stuff to make sure everythings OK. I don't think he heard a murmur or any irregularity because he didn't say anything

Now I'm even MORE scared to have my wisdom teeth out, because I'm a hypochondriac and now I'm convinced I'm gonna die or something. lol So now I'm thinking about postponing getting my teeth out until after I make sure everything's OK with my heart. :mellow:

Sup ya'll

So, I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled next Thursday, and I'm kinda freaking out about it. I've never had any type of surgury, so I didn't want to be under anesthesia. So they're just going to use the "gas mask" on me.

I'm really scared about getting them pulled. I always think the worst in every situation, so I'm thinking anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. lol

mine werent bad at all. i would recommend the anesthesia. no need to stay awake during the operation. THEN it may be bad, if you were awake. they just put an iv in you and its just like going to sleep. my mouth wasnt all that swollen. i only had to take one of the pain meds they perscribed to me. other than that all i needed was tylenol and advil. i even smoked (back when i usedto smoke....which i am so glad i quit) which is a big no no because it causes dry sockets.....but i didnt get them. the only bad part is the day or two after when you have to keep the gauz in your mouth and you get a lot of bleeding. it doesnt hurt, its just kinda nasty.

you'll be fine. dont worry. easy to say i know. i was the same as you though, worried to death. you'll be able to go to the game. just wont be able to yell.

I had all four of mine taken out and I just had the doc give me Novacane. Didn't feel a thing. Unfortunately, you bleed like crazy and you tend to look like a chipmunk for a while so going to the Bills game wouldn't be the best idea. You'll be to sore to actually enjoy the game and it's only preseason. I'll be at the the Ralph this friday for the game, can't wait.

Oh ya, after the surgery make sure they give you long enough to recover. I got rushed out of recovery, felt fine enough and then puked all over the reception area hahaha There are times it's good to be drugged up, I'd imagine that would've been real embarassing.