The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Danimal38

Positives and bright spots from this season

Although it was a horrible year to be a Canes fan there were some bright spots/players that we can look foward to seeing again next year.

1. Jeff Skinner hit 30 goals.  We can now be sure that as long as he stays healthy this will be the norm from him or possibly more.

2. Lindholm should be a 20 goal scorer sometime in the near future, hopeuflly next season.

3. Dobby is an amazing acrobatic, energetic, confident goal tender that can lead our team.  The Ward/Dobby tandem is pretty awesome if you think about it though a bit expensive.  

4. Gerbe is a great guy to have on any team, he brings tons of energy and has a very high skill level and quick shot, we can really put him on any line that needs an energy boost.  hopefully he becomes a 20 goal scorer, I don't see why not after the abilities he showed this year.

5.Loktionov though to early to really tell seems to have the speed and skill to be a 20 goal scorer.  He actually has decent finishing capabilities which we always seem to lack. 

6.  Peters proved if he gets a chance to play consistently he could be an NHL goalie and get on the highlight reel too.

7. Andre Sekera was awesome all around, i'm just hoping its not a fluke, we seem to get new guys who have great first seasons with us than thats it.  Lets hope this is who he is gonna be every season.

Other than that I'd say most of the guys had a below average year.  Did I forget any bright spots from this season?

Edited by danimal-ch1

dnamial, altho I agree with every one of your points, it's pretty hard for me to generate enthusiasm when we Caniac fans are constantly pining for any sniff of a playoff type game! As I attempt to introduce friends, etc in my community to the joys of hockey, I always end up the discussion with the night and day difference between regular season games and playoff atmosphere. Truth be told, I am forgetting even what that's like.

I hear ya, I was imagining the feeling of playoff hockey when I was at that horrible boring game saturday night and its depressing.  I've even stooped as low as picking a second favorite team so I can watch playoff hockey and try to be excited about it.(pittsburgh I guess) 

I'm really not enthusiastic, just trying to give credit where its deserved.  I went thru my anger stage the first 10 games back from the allstar break and accepted no playoff hockey a few weeks ago.  Also, I think the only thing I've been posting about for months is all the negatives so I'm kinda done saying the same things over and over and arguing about trading Eric Staal, Cam Ward, firing the coach, so I figured I go for something different today. 

Other than that I'd say most of the guys had a below average year.  Did I forget any bright spots from this season?

I thought Ryan Murphy was a bright spot.  He can really carry the puck and he is more physical than I would have imagined.  I am still not sure why he is not playing on the wing....

Although it was a horrible year to be a Canes fan there were some bright spots/players that we can look foward to seeing again next year.

Danimal: thanks for the enthusiasm.  However, what bugs me about this team is that things DO NOT seem to carry forward year to year.  Jussi fell off a cliff.  Last year's first line fell off a cliff.  Etc.

Rem's Island was built on this premise and ended up in the kelp jungle.

Danimal: thanks for the enthusiasm.  However, what bugs me about this team is that things DO NOT seem to carry forward year to year.  Jussi fell off a cliff.  Last year's first line fell off a cliff.  Etc.

Rem's Island was built on this premise and ended up in the kelp jungle.

Definitely true, thats why I said I was worried Sekera was a fluke.  Next year -28 with 1g 8a  and we trade him. My only hope is a new coach and a couple good moves this summer.   

Malhotra greatly improved our face-off percentages---and helped others to improve

theirs. Also has that quiet positive leadership that a well seasoned vet can bring.

Hainsey was a strong addition on the back end--big and steady.

NOTE: Many of the "bright spots" listed above (except Skins and Sekera, Lindholm)

are new players, and only Doby has a contract extension. The others are gone unless re-signed.

P.S. Canes re-united TWO military families at two different games.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I guess Chantel did't quite make the "bright spots" list this year.

I felt she actually improved significantly this year!! Nice job by her.

JR extending Dobby's contract mid-season to make sure he didn't hit the open market.

Oh yes!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

We have candidates for goal of the year (Gerbe) and save of the year (Ward).

In spite of many here who apparently think that poor results automatically equates to lack of effort, the Canes played hard for the majority of the year.   Granted there were a few games where that wasn't the case, but no team is going to be up for every game on an 82 game schedule.

Skinner finished strong. Better on the back end and 30 plus goals. 

Semin was playing with a hurt wrist. Positive: get it fixed, rehab. better player.

Eric on bad knee? Speculative but see Semin if true.

Tlusty finished strong. His off start might lead to a more reasonable salary, but his finish suggests he might be that sniper he was last year at a decent price.

Should get a good draft pick.

While the cupboard does seem thin in Charlotte, The Kidsky and McGinn look to be very promising prospects.

OK, that's enough for now.

Stormy looked good in the new sweater.

Dwyer continues to be a great value.

Dobby looks like the team leader from my seat.  He shows passion and desire to win every night.  He seems to truly hate giving up a goal even when leading 4-1 prior to a goal late in the 3rd. 

Manny was a great find.

Davorak when healthy was also a good find.

Hainsey played well.

Lindholm shows great potential.

J. Staal woke up late in the year.

Our team defense improved.

The away jerseys have grown on me.  Seeing them in person (in a game) helped because on TV they looked too busy.

And what Whaler said, Khudobin's contract was huge.

The Canes had the best power play in the league in March and April.  Sigh.

Lindholm got through a tough start in training camp but pushed through the early injuries and finished the season with a respectable 21 points.

Manny's comeback.  The Canes finished the season 4th in the league in FO%.  Fourth.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The moves to fix the PP (creating a sans Staals quick passing unit), Lindholm's growth curve, Tlusty and Skinner finishing strong all could roll into next year. Semin should be better with a fixed wrist. Get a key gritty leader type back for Ward.....E. gets back to form.....  Oh boy, here I go again...too soon.

Edited by remkin

The moves to fix the PP (creating a sans Staals quick passing unit), Lindholm's growth curve, Tlusty and Skinner finishing strong all could roll into next year. Semin should be better with a fixed wrist. Get a key gritty leader type back for Ward.....E. gets back to form.....  Oh boy, here I go again...too soon.

I hear ya Rem, I posted somewhere earlier that if Tlusty,E.Staal,J.Staal, and Semin all had average years than we would have had 37 more goals foward which would have had to of equaled at least 5 more wins and a playoff spot. Thats why I am a strong believer to not dismantle this team, just get a new coach that can bring the best or at least the average out of those guys and we'll be ok. A coach that can get the power play going in the right direction and we are ok. Its not like we finished with Buffalos record. We just finished 5 wins short. Think about all those 2-1/ 3-1 losses in november,december.......if our big boys were scoring on PP than we would have gotten those wins. I also am a strong beliver in the Khoudobin/Ward tandem. Both of them playing top of their game could really make for a great season, however I'd be ok with trading Ward for a healthy return.