The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
slapshot02

Pete Karmanos Interview

Please post your thoughts on the interview. My very brief thoughts are below.

PK interview... PK likes the coaching staff...uggghhh. Some tweaks needed here and there.....arrrggg. Some attitude changes required... no *edit*. No need for major changes to the overall roster, A Possible major change to one or two. Eric could be history. PK likes our young talent...so do I. PK  pointed to goalie injuries as a major issue for the poor results this year. I'm hoping we do more than one or two roster changes or 2015 may be another long year.

I heard this: He likes our coaching staff. He likes our young players. We will do a

few tweaks--maybe a major one. (no specific info). Fan base needs to realize this.

"this is not an excuse, it is a fact .For the last two years we lost both goalies early,

and it likely cost us 10-12 points."  

We need a plan and an attitude adjustment but we are not going to blow up the team,

because we have skilled players.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

If we only trade a few players our only PRAYER is that we receive a similar return as we did the last time we traded our center and Captain 1999 ( Keith Primeau) for Rod Brind'Amour and Paul Coffey.

Oh joy, our owner thinks everything is rosey and blames our missing the playoffs on an injury to Khudobin. Not sure what that says about Ward. Wonder what he thinks about spending 6.3 million on, as he said, our #2 goalie. Or about Eric's continuing decline. Our poor starts. Our dismal PP for most of the season. Our soft team/lack of physicality. And so on...

Overall it sounds like more of the same next season. Does he really expect people to be excited about/support that?

"We like our group."

Disappointing interview/perspective to say the least.

Hopefully reality sets in at some point.

Add me to the list. I can't think of another NHL team that would even CONSIDER bringing back this coaching staff after 3 years of mediocrity or worse. If our veteran players will not respond to the coach, then we need to either go to a team of young coachable 30 win a year players and dump the big salaries OR FIND A COACH WHO CAN MOTIVATE PLAYERS OF ALL AGES/SALARIES/EGOES. If Muller comes back, I hope he is on the same leash as Lavi in Philly this year (3 games). Speaking of Lavi, after winning the Stanley Cup for crying out loud, how long before he was given the boot for "losing the room" and leading an underperforming team?

I found the PK interview to be soooo... disappointing. Our top 2 goalies going down cost us 5 to 10 points? My recollection was that Peters played pretty well when he was asked to carry the load. Maybe if we could score occasionally on the power play and score more than 2 goals at least every 7th or 8th game, we would have 8 to 10 more points.

Someone should read these boards to PK. I think he will understand that while different people who are presumably representing the heart of his fan base have some differences about where changes are needed, no one is suggesting we are a "tweak" from competing for the Stanley Cup.

I am hoping this interview was a misdirection or something but for what reason he would do that, I don't know. And if Ron Francis is going to implement what I heard tonight and "stick to the proe-cess" for another year, I seriously hope we go outside the organization for a new GM!

Makes me glad I didn't wake up at 1 am to listen to this travesty, or else I'd be in the market for a new laptop after chucking this one across the room!

PK is saying all the things because he doesn't want a mass exodus of fans and ticket holders...mass changes are coming folks, whether he tells you flat-out or not.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was underwhelmed like all of you.  I still wonder why he even agreed to an interview right now if all he is asking for is patience and stay the course.  Kind of strange.

But what got me cranky was his statement that "If the Canes will all 4 and Columbus loses all 4, the Canes are in."

Wrong.

Let's go back to the pre-game standings last night when he made this statement.  From there, let's assume the Canes win all 4 in regulation, and Columbus loses all 4 in regulation.

Then:

- If Jersey wins 2 out of 3, Canes are out.

- If Washington gets 5 of 8 points, Canes are out

- If Toronto wins 2 out of 3, Canes are out.

And it gets worse if the Canes win any of those 4 "must wins" in a shoot out.  The other teams can get by with even less.

Does PK understand how this works?  It is like when people come here and they say "we are only 3 points out".  They fail to see all the moving pieces. 

To me this is important!  It tells a lot about an owner, and the people who inform him.  If he looks at the standings this simply, then he's off base elsewhere.  I've got news for him.  There are other teams with scouts that are using advanced analytics.  There are other teams using big numbers to develop game plans.  Math matters.

I find it ironic that a man who made his huge money on a company based on providing clients the solutions to make decisions with number crunching computers makes a statement like he did last night.

</end>

Exactly!  he had the same attitude as owner of the Whale too....guy's a *edit*.. :/

Makes me glad I didn't wake up at 1 am to listen to this travesty, or else I'd be in the market for a new laptop after chucking this one across the room!

PK is saying all the things because he doesn't want a mass exodus of fans and ticket holders...mass changes are coming folks, whether he tells you flat-out or not.

I guess we have two discussions on this.

Gives me another shot at it.

"Oddly disturbing".  Is what I would say.

Interviews are not his forte. It seemed disjointed, he seemed ready to wander onto the rocks and say something really bad and Forslund brought him back a few times.

Mostly one has to wonder about a culture of accountability when the guy at the top seems not to lead that way. That was excuse making when what is needed is someone to step up and say, "No more excuses. Changes are coming." 

Maybe we will hear that after the season, but then why this now?

It is disturbing because he is admitting Season ticket renewals are down, then begging for more forgiveness from the fans but not admitting any mistakes were made. The goalies going down was not the problem. The Staals going down was the problem. Who's responsible for that? If PK knows, he's not telling. 

If he's not telling, then what was this going to accomplish? Does anyone think there is even one STH who] has not renewed, who is now thinking, "Yes! That's what I was waiting for! Finally someone blames the goalie injuries for the problems. Finally someone points out how good this team is right now. OK, where's my renewal slip?"

Edited by remkin

I guess we have two discussions on this.

Gives me another shot at it.

"Oddly disturbing".  Is what I would say.

Interviews are not his forte. It seemed disjointed, he seemed ready to wander onto the rocks and say something really bad and Forslund brought him back a few times.

Mostly one has to wonder about a culture of accountability when the guy at the top seems not to lead that way. That was excuse making when what is needed is someone to step up and say, "No more excuses. Changes are coming." 

Maybe we will hear that after the season, but then why this now?

It is disturbing because he is admitting Season ticket renewals are down, then begging for more forgiveness from the fans but not admitting any mistakes were made. The goalies going down was not the problem. The Staals going down was the problem. Who's responsible for that? If PK knows, he's not telling. 

If he's not telling, then what was this going to accomplish? Does anyone think there is even one STH who] has not renewed, who is now thinking, "Yes! That's what I was waiting for! Finally someone blames the goalie injuries for the problems. Finally someone points out how good this team is right now. OK, where's my renewal slip?"

So much to agree with Remkin!

This team scored 11 goals in 6 games after the Olympic break.  This team obtained 2 points out of 14 in the first 7 games after the break.

There went the season.  And we had the #1 and #2 goalies available at that time, both rested.   Most of the remainder of the team was also available at this time and represented the team that JR assembled.

This stretch had a lot to do with this season being fatal.  If the Canes had gotten a modest 8 pts out of 14 in that stretch, they would at least still be in the mix.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was underwhelmed like all of you.  I still wonder why he even agreed to an interview right now if all he is asking for is patience and stay the course.  Kind of strange.

But what got me cranky was his statement that "If the Canes will all 4 and Columbus loses all 4, the Canes are in."

Wrong.

Let's go back to the pre-game standings last night when he made this statement.  From there, let's assume the Canes win all 4 in regulation, and Columbus loses all 4 in regulation.

Then:

- If Jersey wins 2 out of 3, Canes are out.

- If Washington gets 5 of 8 points, Canes are out

- If Toronto wins 2 out of 3, Canes are out.

And it gets worse if the Canes win any of those 4 "must wins" in a shoot out.  The other teams can get by with even less.

Does PK understand how this works?  It is like when people come here and they say "we are only 3 points out".  They fail to see all the moving pieces. 

To me this is important!  It tells a lot about an owner, and the people who inform him.  If he looks at the standings this simply, then he's off base elsewhere.  I've got news for him.  There are other teams with scouts that are using advanced analytics.  There are other teams using big numbers to develop game plans.  Math matters.

I find it ironic that a man who made his huge money on a company based on providing clients the solutions to make decisions with number crunching computers makes a statement like he did last night.

</end>

Post of the decade?

This is where the ultimate decisions are made.  It's disturbing to believe that you could basically pick anyone at random from this message board and end up with someone more knowledgeable about the situation than the owner.

The advanced analytics is where my head has been at lately as well.  It is those types of number crunching that gets you a Sekera.  If we are not going to win on mass appeal to FAs or overspending, we need the sound decision making that maximizes value per $ spent, and this means deep deep knowledge of the game, even in areas/ways that your opponents haven't figured out yet.  I was disturbed in exactly the same way.

So much to agree with Remkin!

This team scored 11 goals in 6 games after the Olympic break.  This team obtained 2 points out of 14 in the first 7 games after the break.

There went the season.  And we had the #1 and #2 goalies available at that time, both rested.   Most of the remainder of the team was also available at this time and represented the team that JR assembled.

This stretch had a lot to do with this season being fatal.  If the Canes had gotten a modest 8 pts out of 14 in that stretch, they would at least still be in the mix.

Agree--it went downhill after the Olympic break. We lost 3-4 games we should have won. It was not on the goalies

but rather from lack of passion and intensity and "best players" were not best players.

(Also coincided with the trading of Ruu---who was not only a fan favorite---but he has a bright, positive

and upbeat personality---and I am sure was like that in the locker room too. Big miss there.)

I read an article linked at Canes Country--Forslund's  summary of the interview. He said young players

were responding to Muller's system but there was some push-back from some of the vets. THIS needs

to be addressed in the off season strongly-----because, no matter who the coach is, you can't have

a few players sink the season because they don't want to cooperate ! Not at the salary we are paying

some of our vets. So we need a strong plan for getting back on track, or we need some personnel

changes. Just my $.02

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Kirk lacked the bal** to send Eric to the press box to help wake him up, same with Jordan.  I think Kirks a decent guy but I don't think he has the attention of all the players.  Players need to fear what a coach can do to them but thats not the case here.

As far as decent talentt at the Checkers level...

How is it that Drayson Bowman stays in the bigs when Zach Boychuck leads the AHL in goals, has the all time Checkers season goal scoring record (35 and counting this season), 4th in scoring in AHL, two hatricks this year etc etc etc?  He can do nothing more at the AHL level than he has already done.

Canes should have brought him up 30 games agao for the remainder of the season and given him a full opportunity.  Bringing him up for 2-3 games at a time is a joke to think he will develop chemistry and score up here.

Even though he is the bigs, Bowman has done nothing near what Boychuck has accomplished this season in Charlotte.

I have watched the Karmanos interview three times to make sure I'm not missing something. I also read the Forslund comments on the WRAL website that were referenced above.

First let me say that the Karmanos interview was a disaster from a PR standpoint. It really isn't what the fans wanted to hear. He probable would have been better off saying something like I can't thank the fans enough for their support through trying times. The organization needs that continued support to grow and I promise I will do what I can to make this team a franchise we can be proud of. But he didn't say that and although he wasn't blaming fans you came away with the feeling it was us who were part of the problem.

I heard him say he told coaches the good things they have done but I didn't hear him say he endorses the coaching staff. I'm not sure he was saying Y'all come back now.

He  indicated he wasn't going to blow up the team but indicated moves were coming and some could be major moves if I understand the meaning of major tweaks.

He  pointed to attitude adjustments putting blame on some players. If Forslund's remarks were accurate in that WRAL article then it was our established players who need to get it in gear.

He said he liked our core players and young players but never said who or indicated who that core was. I wouldn't assume anything yet.

Its what he didn't say that points to changes coming. Yet the message was so convoluted and showed such a disconnect with fan expectations that I'm left scratching my head. I think there is still a debate going on in the inner circles on how to address our team.

In my opinion inaction is not an option. PK can you hear us now.

How do you blame the goalies going down for 5-10 points, Cam getting injured is what made the goaltending get better lol.

Exactly what I thought when he said that.

That guy should never be allowed to have another interview........ever.

After listening to the interview, I have determined that my initial thinking that JR was the problem was VERY WRONG.  I think this idiot is the problem.  What a *edit*!  Are you really happy with the coaching staff?  DO you really think we are that deep in young talent?  Do you really think that our 2 starting goalies being injured kept the puck out of the back of our opponents net and made the high salary players lazy as hell?  Then I think the fan base has been a lot more patient with you and the management than you deserve!!!!  This interview was kind of like rubbing salt in the wound IMO.  Pretty much sounded like he didn't think there needed to be too much done if our goalies stay healthy.  Bo, you need to sell your interest to someone who understands the sport in which they bought into.

More pissed now than before 

Kirk lacked the bal** to send Eric to the press box to help wake him up, same with Jordan.  I think Kirks a decent guy but I don't think he has the attention of all the players.  Players need to fear what a coach can do to them but thats not the case here.

As far as decent talentt at the Checkers level...

How is it that Drayson Bowman stays in the bigs when Zach Boychuck leads the AHL in goals, has the all time Checkers season goal scoring record (35 and counting this season), 4th in scoring in AHL, two hatricks this year etc etc etc?  He can do nothing more at the AHL level than he has already done.

Canes should have brought him up 30 games agao for the remainder of the season and given him a full opportunity.  Bringing him up for 2-3 games at a time is a joke to think he will develop chemistry and score up here.

Even though he is the bigs, Bowman has done nothing near what Boychuck has accomplished this season in Charlotte.

After this interview, I really wonder if Muller was allowed to hold the players feet to the fire.  Hell, he thinks everything is OK except for a few tweaks and keeping goalies healthy

Overall, the interview and his comments were so disappointing on so many levels.

For now, it’s too depressing to go beyond that so I’ll leave it at “DISAPPOINTING!”

And to think he also fired Jason, one of the few forward thinking analytical types in the front office!

And to think he also fired Jason, one of the few forward thinking analytical types in the front office!

I've met and talked with Jason a few times.  My goodness he is not like his dad at all!  No wonder this didn't work out.

PK did have an interesting interview after the Lavi firing.  He also said some wacky things then too, but not nearly as much as this time.  If you recall, part of his rant was about Lavi not using Belanger properly.  I mean, really?  Belanger even needs a mention? 

Edit: ah, I found some of that interview http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/karmanos-laviolette-had-to-go

Edited by wxray1

Greg, I agree. Mostly on a different but related point.

Maybe in today's world successful GM's are more likely to have law or finance degrees vs. Stanley Cup wins.  Look it up, the last 4 cup winners.  Their GM's background.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Upon some reflection, I think PK may have been saying "These are not the droids you are looking for".

:applause:

SD seems to always summarize it in simple terms we can all understand.