Sign in to follow this  
slapshot02

Pete Karmanos Interview

"I like our coaching staff"

"We have a very very good team"

"I like our players, a great bunch of guys."

"We had a nice dinner with the coaching staff the other night (in NYC)."

Un-b-freaking-leave-able!!!

Us freaking "impatient" Canes STH fans!! 
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Guys, hear me out on this topic. Everyone, myself included, ASSUMES(and I purposely capitalized the word to underscore the other meaning of the word) that because Peter Karmanos sponsored hockey at all levels, that he is hockey astute. While he may or may not be, and who are any of us to accurately judge, this recent interview certainly brings the question to fore.The tenor of his comments to John Forsland certainly raises some doubt of his knowledge in general, in specifics to his own team or to his frankly condescending attitude to the fans of this team!

However, I'd also humbly postulate that none of us truly know PK's reason for ownership of an NHL team. While we take for granted that ownership of any business correlates with a desire for profit, one should also factor into the equation that ubasuccessful tycoons operate in a rarefied stratosphere where 2 plus 2 does not necessarily equal 4? Although this thought is somewhat conspiratialistic(don't know if that's a word), how do we even know that PK even desires to make a profit, rather than use this outlet as a gigantic "tax write off".

For instance, it has never made good "common sense" to me that this organization appeared to hamstring itself at both ends. Thus, our young talent appears to suffer by severely limiting the scouting staff to provide much needed input on prospects. Then at the opposite end, the frequently seen curtailment of "internal salary cap" would seem to prevent bringing in quality vets.

For some time now, my angst focused on JR's methods of "nibbling around the edges" as my astute fellow poster(sorry, I've forgotten who on this board made this great analogy) previously phrased it. This fiasco with PK now has caused me to rethink my opinion of Jim Rutherford and now fear that this all eminates from the top of the ladder. Further, if that be true, and the frustration of living in a constant state of "penny pinching" has trickled down to Eric Staal's level, how can changes in GM and coaching staff be remedies?

It has been said that NHL teams do not show a profit unless they make the playoffs,  Do not undertand how someone who owna a successful company would be patient with the Whale/Canes playoff history.   Or, is owning a team compensation for something they cannot do on the ice/field/court?

KJUN, I am not educated enough to fully appreciate what it was you were trying to say.  But run for President damnet and I will vote for you.

Luke DeCock's take (and he was definitely on target)

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/3779607/decock-even-more-clear-now-that.html?sp=/99/103/

The last sentence is...

It took only 4 minutes and 16 seconds, but people realize this now: This franchise’s issues start at the top and work their way all the way down to the ice.

Edited by super_dave_1

Luke is writing more than usual on the Canes.  That's good. 

PK has to get how that interview was perceived by the fans.

He has a chance to redeem himself starting on Monday.

Good to see that article. Good to see the perspective of the fans taken into consideration concerning that debacle of an interview. I hope the attention it is getting opens some eyes and facilitates some reality-based discussion.

That interview was deflating on so many levels, let's hope some good actually comes from it.

The question is will a wealthy, out of touch owner care enough to re-think his view and change his outlook on what needs to happen?

Edited by Kyrule

Guys, hear me out on this topic. Everyone, myself included, ASSUMES(and I purposely capitalized the word to underscore the other meaning of the word) that because Peter Karmanos sponsored hockey at all levels, that he is hockey astute. While he may or may not be, and who are any of us to accurately judge, this recent interview certainly brings the question to fore.The tenor of his comments to John Forsland certainly raises some doubt of his knowledge in general, in specifics to his own team or to his frankly condescending attitude to the fans of this team!

For some time now, my angst focused on JR's methods of "nibbling around the edges" as my astute fellow poster(sorry, I've forgotten who on this board made this great analogy) previously phrased it. This fiasco with PK now has caused me to rethink my opinion of Jim Rutherford and now fear that this all eminates from the top of the ladder. Further, if that be true, and the frustration of living in a constant state of "penny pinching" has trickled down to Eric Staal's level, how can changes in GM and coaching staff be remedies?

Wow, I never would have considered the possibility of him not being hockey astute as you say, but that is a very good point and a scary thought. I would hope he is going for the bait and switch here - for some awfully strange reason - and that he knows his statements aren't true and is working on fixes behind the scenes already. If this is true then a change in GM or coach may not make any type of difference, with PK keeping a close watch on things. This might be a case where the grass is always greener with the other GM, and until someone new comes in we won't know if it starts with PK or not, but its definitely something to think about.

Taking his comments at face value though...oh boy

Oh, I'm not hitting it hard enough you say?

:bangHead:

Yes sir, how about now?

Luke DeCock's take (and he was definitely on target)

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/3779607/decock-even-more-clear-now-that.html?sp=/99/103/

The last sentence is...

"It took only 4 minutes and 16 seconds, but people realize this now: This franchise’s issues start at the top and work their way all the way down to the ice."

Big props to Luke!  So true. So very very true.

Wonder if we are going to see Compuware ads disappear from the PNC arena?  PK will not allow any changes to his play toy that goes against his wishes.