The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

just lose the last 2 games

We have 3 games remaining, but I agree I would rather see losses because of draft position and because I want it to be crystal clear that we need changes (even if PK disagrees).

If the Canes lose their last three remaining games, they probably get a pick in the top six of the draft,  If they win all of their remaning games, their draft order changes to more of a middle of the pack position.

Go Caps/Wings/Flyers?

last year the canes were in a good position to get  jonathan drouin but then they started winning games that did not matter at all . and by the end of the season we were 5th to select instead of 3rd . and now  we are 6th but possibly could move up  depending on what the canes do these next  3  games . and if they lose them all we will still be in that possible position  although there is a chance for the canes to slide into 5th if calgary wins all of their games .  

lets go flames !!!!  , and go canes go  to 5th in position in the draft order by losing all your games  !!!

and i know im going to get a lot of flack for this but  , for next season please i beg of you peter , and the canes , TANK THE SEASON . the pay off will be well worth it if we do indeed get the 1st over all pick for 2015 .  and anyone who knows anything about the draft  knows this as well !!!!

This will not be a popular post here but... I have paid good hard earned dollars for tickets to tomorrow nights game and I did not do that for a draft pick...it's the CAPS and any WIN against them is worth it! They've played many games for the draft pick this season- tomorrow night please play 1 last game for the FANS in the PNC arena- THE FANS HAVE EARNED IT and you OWE US

Screw losing. Losing is for losers. Play to win. The way the draft works this year is that ALL teams that don't make the playoffs go into the draft lottery to get the first pick. Losing is not option. Play to win.

The whole premise of this thread crosses lines of politically correct tanking.

Which is:

Balls to the wall fandom at the PNC, while being okay with a loss on the road, to gain or maintain a current draft position.

Literature Cited

Coastal, C., and R. Remkin.  2012.  Tanking in an uncharted political environment.  The Journal of Hockey Message Board Contributors (12) 33-49.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Play to win. I really mean it. Breeding an attitude that a loss is positive for any reason is unhealthy for our younger players who are not yet mired in a career of watching the playoffs on TV. We are not going to get higher than 6th unless we win the lottery, and I don't think we can go lower than 10th if EVERYTHING falls against us. I would bet between the likelihood we will lose at least one more, and a couple teams (Ottawa, Nashville, Winnipeg) win at least one more, we will be slotted 6th or 7th.

By all accounts, unlike last year's draft, there is not that much consensus after the first 3 or 4 picks anyway. There will be a good player available whenever we pick (let's hope we take him). Besides, assuming we have been playing to win all year, and we stick to the process, 3 wins are unlikely.

As a result of the Wings SO loss and the Jackets win, the Ovenchickens are out of the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!.. Just win to make Ovi miserable and the Caniacs happy

The way I see it----they have been not playing to win about 1/3 of the season.  :sarcasm:

But I want them to give the fans something to cheer about on the last game

at the PNC-----and I always want them to beat the Caps!

The whole premise of this thread crosses lines of politically correct tanking.

Which is:

Balls to the wall fandom at the PNC, while being okay with a loss on the road, to gain or maintain a current draft position.

Literature Cited

Coastal, C., and R. Remkin.  2012.  Tanking in an uncharted political environment.  The Journal of Hockey Message Board Contributors (12) 33-49.

Professor Coastal has spoken...we can lock this thread down now!

Play to win. I really mean it. Breeding an attitude that a loss is positive for any reason is unhealthy for our younger players who are not yet mired in a career of watching the playoffs on TV. We are not going to get higher than 6th unless we win the lottery, and I don't think we can go lower than 10th if EVERYTHING falls against us. I would bet between the likelihood we will lose at least one more, and a couple teams (Ottawa, Nashville, Winnipeg) win at least one more, we will be slotted 6th or 7th.

By all accounts, unlike last year's draft, there is not that much consensus after the first 3 or 4 picks anyway. There will be a good player available whenever we pick (let's hope we take him). Besides, assuming we have been playing to win all year, and we stick to the process, 3 wins are unlikely.

i don't think you understand the situation all that well , even if the canes were to win  their last 3 games , that would or possibly move us up  from picking ,  the lower seated we are the better chance or winning the lottery over all ,  and even if we did not win the lottery , the off chance of the canes being placed 6th or 5th  would put the canes in a certain good place to get several of good players in this years draft 

have you ever heard of the saying , sometimes you have to lose in order to win ? ,  well the same logic applies here too . just think about it .  if the canes can get a better player   ,. then the canes become a better team , im looking at this in a sense of bettering the team ,  the only thing that would go against bettering the team is if our new gm goes out there and trades our first round pick so we dont get anyone,   why do you think some of the top teams in the nhl are in the playoffs and we are not ?  think about it ,  they used the draft to get players to help build the team , if they felt the need to trade some players to get new or better players , it would be in the soul interest of bettering the team . 

i want the canes to not only lose these last 3 games but for the canes to tank all of next season .,  if the canes tanked next year  and was the last team in the standings  and the canes got the first over all first round pick , that would mean we would get connor mcdavid , imagine if you will if the canes had connor mcdavid on the team ?  the team would become a winning team like pittsburgh , like tampa , 

last year the canes were in a good position to get  jonathan drouin but then they started winning games that did not matter at all . and by the end of the season we were 5th to select instead of 3rd . and now  we are 6th but possibly could move up  depending on what the canes do these next  3  games . and if they lose them all we will still be in that possible position  although there is a chance for the canes to slide into 5th if calgary wins all of their games .  

I think we are going to end up better off with Lindholm than Drouin so that might not be the best arguement for tanking....

So many assumptions.  You can't assume we get a better draft position just because we get the better probability.  What if we tank to fifth, and in the draft lottery the 6th team ends up getting lucky and the first pick?  Then the talk would be, "if we had just won the last home game the hockey gods would have rewarded us the first pick".   Incidentally, the draft lottery was put in place expressly to prevent tanking.

Then, the assumption is that if you pick higher you will get a better player.  How many first picks were superseded by the next player drafted when their careers pan out?

Then it is still a crapshoot who will be available when you pick.  Who would have thought Jones would be available at the 4th pick last season?

Then, when it gets to be your pick, you org still needs to make the right pick.  Read all the groaners when we took Lindholm over Nich...  then of course that decision is still up in the air if it was right or wrong.

Then who ends up injured a few years into their career and never pans out...  Where is Tanabe (I hope he is improving and can live a decent life!)

I'm sure Chuck K would say the hockey gods would be offended if we tanked, and when in doubt, I go with that round cigar smoking soothsayer of hockey lore.  He has seen and knows more than anybody here.

“We’re going to push it right to end, play the game the right way and compete the right way. It’s our responsibility to do that,” head coach Kirk Muller said. “We’re not letting up on the things we’ve been talking about since day one, and we expect everyone to play the same way right until the end.”

If we are going to play the same way as we have all season, I guess we are tanking after all!! :)

I want it to be crystal clear that we need changes (even if PK disagrees).

According to Caners owner Peter K you just need to be more patient.  

:dizzy:

“We’re going to push it right to end, play the game the right way and compete the right way. It’s our responsibility to do that,” head coach Kirk Muller said. “We’re not letting up on the things we’ve been talking about since day one, and we expect everyone to play the same way right until the end.”

If we are going to play the same way as we have all season, I guess we are tanking after all!! :)

LOL    :thumbsup:

Thats right boys we are going to ride this broken  :censored: system down to the bitter end whether the fans like it or not.  Don;t think you have to worry about them losing the last 2 games.  Might lose the last 4!!  PITIFUL

Thats right boys we are going to ride this broken  :censored: system down to the bitter end whether the fans like it or not.  Don;t think you have to worry about them losing the last 2 games.  Might lose the last 4!!  PITIFUL

Detriot will be looking to avoid injury.  Philly will be looking to avoid sliding down to the WC slot

not sure, but after tonight's debacle the highest the Canes can finish is 22nd and the lowest is 27th.  and we are supposed to be patient with finishing in the bottom 10 teams in the NHL?

CFForever, I don't know anything about Connor McDavid, but will take your word he is a long-term game changer. But I do believe in kharma. Ask Florida fans what Nathan McKinnon would have meant to their franchise. They finished 30th and still did not get him. Maybe we need to blow this team up and go with a Buffalo style youth movement. Might land us at the bottom for a year with some picks and prospects (and maybe a couple veterans who are true leaders) to go with McDavid if we are fortunate enough to get him. I could accept that, but not tanking a whole season for the highest probability of being able to draft a stud.

I would say it's safe for us to win a game at this point however there was a point just 2 games ago 1 win would have put us out of the top 10 in drafting which just isn't worth it.

So many assumptions.  You can't assume we get a better draft position just because we get the better probability.  What if we tank to fifth, and in the draft lottery the 6th team ends up getting lucky and the first pick?  Then the talk would be, "if we had just won the last home game the hockey gods would have rewarded us the first pick".   Incidentally, the draft lottery was put in place expressly to prevent tanking.

I'm sure Chuck K would say the hockey gods would be offended if we tanked, and when in doubt, I go with that round cigar smoking soothsayer of hockey lore.  He has seen and knows more than anybody here.

Also, FYI, we haven't finished higher than 12th in the Eastern Conference since Muller took the helm....oh, and we're the only team in the East that hasn't seen the playoffs since we went in 2009. Yes, that's right, that means Florida and Buffalo have more current playoff appearances than we do since we last went. Which was, coincidentally, the ONLY time we've gone back to the playoffs since '06 when we won it all. Depressing....but please....be patient.... 

not sure, but after tonight's debacle the highest the Canes can finish is 22nd and the lowest is 27th.  and we are supposed to be patient with finishing in the bottom 10 teams in the NHL?

Tanking for draft picks isn't a good idea. You play hard and go with what you get. Besides, we can't improve our picks all that much and this year's draft is VERY shallow.