The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

just lose the last 2 games

I don't think this team is tanking for the pick.

They are tanking because they've given up, probably on the coach. 

It is true that one cannot be sure that a higher pick will mean a better player, but it increases the odds.

We want to get bigger and pick up a power forward. That guy could be sitting there at #5 but gone by #6.

Either way, the team cannot tank on purpose on the ice to get the pick. That would be bad. Unfortunately we've had this debate so many times I can't take it again.

But if it comes down to whether we are better off losing those next two on the road or winning them? No question losing would be better at this point. Not only for the pick but to push for change. Make PK rethink things a bit.

Edited by remkin

Tanking, or not showing up to play gets the same results.  It is almost as though some of the players have tanked the whole season.  Notice I do say some, because there are a few that I feel have given their all most of the time.  Either way, I am sure that the next 2 will probably end up in the L column based on last night's and most of the season's performance.  Bad part is I am dumb enough to watch it and actually pull for them after the way things have been going.  So, PK, I am still watching, am not going to spend money to go watch them though, and my patience is long gone.  I certainly hope you have a plan that doesn't replicate your interview.

Winnipeg wins, meaning we will finish #6 or #7.

Now it just comes down to Vancouver. We are tied in points but we have the tie-breaker. They have two games left, we have one.

Winnipeg wins, meaning we will finish #6 or #7.

Now it just comes down to Vancouver. We are tied in points but we have the tie-breaker. They have two games left, we have one.

in terms of overall league standings,  the Canes can finish anywhere from 23rd to 26th place in the league depending on how tomorrow's and Sunday's games work out.  So much for being a ligitimate playoff contender.  Guess this is the penalty from the hockey gods for placing 1st and 2nd round playoff tickets in the STH booklets :}

Canes can only finish 24th or 25th. Winnipeg sits at 23rd with 84 points, we can only get to 83. Calgary and Islanders sit at 26th and 27th with 77 points and one game remaining so they can't catch us.

and we should be in a good place to pick up a decent player ,  don't win anymore games this season canes !!!

me no like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is true that one cannot be sure that a higher pick will mean a better player, but it increases the odds.

We want to get bigger and pick up a power forward. That guy could be sitting there at #5 but gone by #6.

Either way, the team cannot tank on purpose on the ice to get the pick. That would be bad. Unfortunately we've had this debate so many times I can't take it again.

But if it comes down to whether we are better off losing those next two on the road or winning them? No question losing would be better at this point. Not only for the pick but to push for change. Make PK rethink things a bit.

I agree, and think that hag65 made a great point about how nothing is guaranteed, and how the lottery can go to any team. I would have liked to move up to 5th because as you say, that player could be gone at 6. It just bugs me a little bit because last year there was basically a consensus top 4, and the Canes got 5th, just outside. This year there seems to be a consensus top 5, and Canes seem in line for 6th. But, oh well, good players will still be available and I do like Lindholm.

Brian Burke talked a few weeks ago with Calgary about how you absolutely can NOT play to lose or coach to lose. There is no way to do that in the NHL, and how he would be getting rid of people wanting to tank and rehiring, I agree. However, from a purely spectator point of view... I wouldn't have minded a few more losses the last couple weeks  :P

i want the canes to not only lose these last 3 games but for the canes to tank all of next season .,  if the canes tanked next year  and was the last team in the standings  and the canes got the first over all first round pick , that would mean we would get connor mcdavid , imagine if you will if the canes had connor mcdavid on the team ?  the team would become a winning team like pittsburgh , like tampa , 

While I wouldn't have minded the Canes moving up the draft board in the last weeks of this season once the playoffs were out of reach, to this one I must say no, no, and *edit* NO! Sorry but there's no way I can agree with this. I know McDavid is a great player, but nothing is ever guaranteed in this league, and you always start the season out to do the best you can. If you can start a season with the mindset to go out and lose every night, then just retire. Quit, and get out of hockey for life because the passion isn't there. 

Now for you to say you want McDavid, hey that's fine, I think we would all agree. But to go to the team right now and basically tell them that "you're in the NHL, but that's not good enough. You all have no hope without this kid so start losing" is not a good thing to do. As others have pointed out, even if you do tank, you could still lose the lottery like Florida last year. Or McDavid could get a career ending injury in his second year, you never know. Plus, there's good kids in every draft going first, so how many more years do you decide, "well, we should tank this one too"  before you have enough talent stocked up and decide to try again? 

A team just can't foster a losing attitude, you have to play to win every game. Next year I want this team flying out of the gates and going for a solid playoff run (anybody have odds on that one happening?? haha)