The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
raleighcaniac

A simple message from Detroit on how to build a long term winner

This applies to how well Z. Boychuk has playe this year as well as a few others...its time to bring them up and move out Dvorak, Bowman, Mulhotra etc...

Wings success highlights GM Holland’s development philosophy

The Detroit Red Wings will make the playoffs for the 23rd consecutive season despite enduring far more than their far share of injuries. They’ve been forced to rely heavily on call ups from the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins and some of those players have become the reason the streak is still alive.

It’s further justification of Red Wings GM Ken Holland’s philosophy of waiting until a player can firmly establish themselves in the minors before calling them up.

“Leading the Grand Rapids Griffins last year was (Tomas) Tatar, (Gustav) Nyquist, Riley Sheahan and Luke Glendening so when they got their call they didn’t come up here wondering if they could play they had done it at another level so the next step for them was to go to the NHL,” Holland told the Macomb Daily.

“Now can you do it? I don’t know, but that time in the minors prepares them to be the best that they can be.”

Constantly winning means that Detroit rarely has high draft picks, but much of their talent is nevertheless homegrown. Three of the four players Holland mentioned were Red wings’ draft picks, while Luke Glendening was never drafted and had to climb his way up the ranks after his four-year tenure at the University of Michigan.

Plain and simple....

Get Mark Home from the Red Wings and make him the Canes GM and give him total control.

We need a GM that comes from a proven winning tradition!

the truth is PK will have nothing to do with the Wings no matter how it will help the franchise

the truth is PK will have nothing to do with the Wings no matter how it will help the franchise

So not true... Dave Lewis worked for the Red Wings 
and so did Greg Stefan to name a few.

Now if you are saying PK has issues with the Red Wings, I do agree on that one.

After some of the stuff JR and PK have pulled with the Wings, I think hiring someone who used to be employed by the wings is a little different from having to grovel into the Wing's front office begging to be allowed to talk to Howe -- all the while knowing that they have no intentions of letting their top scout go or that Mark most likely has no intention of leaving the wings.   

After some of the stuff JR and PK have pulled with the Wings, I think hiring someone who used to be employed by the wings is a little different from having to grovel into the Wing's front office begging to be allowed to talk to Howe -- all the while knowing that they have no intentions of letting their top scout go or that Mark most likely has no intention of leaving the wings.   

Interesting points, thanks for the perspective but I cant make any big assumptions about Mark's contract. It might not require "begging."  I do 100% agree, if Mark would want it is the biggest issue.

BTW, for those that really don;t know about what type of person Mark Howe is...  check out this brief interview...  Total Class, smarts, articulate, his own man, not afraid to speak his mind, candid yet highly professional and GENUINE! Exactly what this team needs vs the non-genuine “preprogrammed lines” some give us in the front office!

No slam on Ronnie as a person at all, but I’ve never seen him give an open honest interview like below. 

Ronnie (like Eric) never seem willing to go outside the lines, share real insights, make hard hitting point blank statements.  Instead they go into “robot” mode and repeat the same lame themes… it’s NOT working. 

It’s very clear to me our players would listen and highly respect Mark Howe (TRULY speaks with candor and confidence and deep knowledge and know how and total LOVE of the game).

In any case, the link below shows the type of person Mark Howe is… (if anybody has similar recent clips of Ronnie being open, relaxed, genuine and not programmed... please post)

SEE: http://globalnews.ca/video/959313/hockey-hall-of-famer-mark-howe

(ps: anyone that highly respects their dad might enjoy above too)

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I'm not sure there is enough incentive to leave any current position. i think the next GM will be fighting a losing battle. It may take 2 or 3 GM changes before real progress.