The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The season was disappointing yet the off-season promises to be intriguing. The only "certainty is uncertainty". Rumors abound over front office,coaching and player moves. PK's little message only clouded an already convoluted situation.

What will we do, what will we do?

Management and players meet Monday

Media exit interviews Tuesday

Muller presser on Wednesday

*source msmithcanes tweets

We should have a lot to talk about.

With the way these interviews have been going the only we'll have to talk about is how management makes us mad every time they open their mouths.

I wish that management and ownership expressed the same passion we see on this board

When you're in a position like theirs, usually what you say in front of a camera or microphone is going to be edited or sugar coated for appearances. I doubt you invest millions of dollars in something to not be passionate about the product. Behind closed doors you'll probably find what you're looking for.

When you're in a position like theirs, usually what you say in front of a camera or microphone is going to be edited or sugar coated for appearances. I doubt you invest millions of dollars in something to not be passionate about the product. Behind closed doors you'll probably find what you're looking for.

While one not say the paint burning things that are said in a locker room, one can say to finish out of the playoffs since 2009 and only one time since lifting the Cup in 2006 is not acceptable and all things will be looked at to correct the situation.  Telling the fans simply to be patiet is not acceptable.  If I had millions invested in this team with its playoff record I would be angry and use langauge not proper for this board

While one not say the paint burning things that are said in a locker room, one can say to finish out of the playoffs since 2009 and only one time since lifting the Cup in 2006 is not acceptable and all things will be looked at to correct the situation.  Telling the fans simply to be patiet is not acceptable.  If I had millions invested in this team with its playoff record I would be angry and use langauge not proper for this board

Not in front of the camera though. I'd imagine Mr. Karmanos is ticked off, but by telling the fans (his customer's) to be patient, he's attempting to give the more average fan hope. More hardcore fans, like the ones who occupy this board, aren't going to respond to that as well.

I hope the minority investors will inject some fire into the discussions that may not

have been there in previous years. Do they get to have any input ?

Not in front of the camera though. I'd imagine Mr. Karmanos is ticked off, but by telling the fans (his customer's) to be patient, he's attempting to give the more average fan hope. More hardcore fans, like the ones who occupy this board, aren't going to respond to that as well.

There is a place for locker-room langauge.  And there is a place for more nusanced langue in front a camara.  Still the message that needs to be sent for the fans that invest their monies in season tickets and those investors who make to make sone semblace of a profit by makiing the playoffs,  is the team is off-mission, that major changes are needed, and no person's job is safe

Eric Staal says he won't play in this years Worlds. If and it is apparent he wasn't 100% recovered from last years knee injury it is the best thing he can do. A summer off rehabbing that leg could help him regain form.

Management and players meet Monday

Media exit interviews Tuesday

Muller presser on Wednesday

*source msmithcanes tweets

We should have a lot to talk about.

First thing is the disclosure of injuries...as said above if E was playing the whole year on a bum wheel, he should get a pass and the idea of trading him goes right out the window.  Honestly, it's the cornerstone of the whole thing...a fully healthy Eric is certainly worth 10 points in the standings.  I have no doubt about that and Karamanos' statement about a couple tweaks and confidence in the staff starts to make more sense. 

The other day Forslund talked about a lot of the young guys really buying in and that is 110% true with Nash, Lindholm and Skinner.  I was on the fire Muller bandwagon but I am starting to come around.  I think we keep the staff to start the year unless a very experienced coach who is a proven winner is available (meaning Trotz and only Trotz). 

Injury reports coming out as I write...Semin to have wrist surgery, battling an injury for most of the year. 

We try to re-up Hainsey, Manny, and Bellemore...Per Cap Geek we can qualify Gerbe, Tlusty, Bowman and Loktionov and go from there.  Honestly, only a couple slots get left open and it could be a battle among guys within the system McGinn, Boychuk, Terry, etc. to fill those spaces. 

We are all thinking roller-coaster but I think it is going to be more a ride through the foothills...

Gejustin et al, per your discussions above, I'd like to once again interject that usually when we, as relatively normal humans make observations about thoughts/motives of others, and please note that I include myself in this tendency, the flaw in our thinking is that we view the world thru our eyes. Thus if say a multimillionaire or more is the subject of our thoughts, we make the mistake of substituting how we see the world and act accordingly, for what these individuals do. Not that I'm privy to anyone like this, but, in their rarified atmosphere, boundaries are less clear. The apparent condescension resonating thru PK's interview should serve adequate notice of that. Also, might I remind you of some of the verbiage that surfaced during the recent lockout, and the apparent disdain displayed by these uber-rich tycoons, showing not the least amount of concern for us "common" fans, What was the faux pas that surfaced, "like cattle on a ranch"? Thus, I say again, when we ASSUME that Karmanos' drive is to "make money", lets not look at it in the way most of us would. To some, making money can take a much different route, possibly thru actually losing to offset taxes.

Bottom line, after Karmanos' recent garbled, if not incomprehensible, message, I'm just uncertain where he is going to come down regarding management, GM, coaches or players? This offseason will be a very enlightening experience no doubt.

Eric Staal says he won't play in this years Worlds. If and it is apparent he wasn't 100% recovered from last years knee injury it is the best thing he can do. A summer off rehabbing that leg could help him regain form.

OBXer, to me this is the exact reason that the NHL policy of obscuring injuries is unfair to the players and their fans!! Think how much venomous angst has been bantered around thru this entire season on this and countless other web sites toward this one player. Everyone, and I include myself in this criticism, has called for Eric's head at one time or another this frustrating year.

As reactionary tendencies mount, management surely hears, and likely buys into the wave. The upshot is that a great player, playing likely injuried, could be traded away only to regain his form.

I ask, had we as fans known of the extent of Eric's injury, would we have been so quick to insist on his trade?

Edited by KJUNKANE

PK is obviously no politician or speechwriter. I'm not going to get overly worked up over a 4 minute interview he clearly didn't want to do.  Instead, I'll base a good portion of my perspective as to his desire to win on whether he opens up his wallet again this year like he did last year.  Actions speak louder than words and I want to see the new GM with the flexibility to spend up to the new cap limit.

PK is obviously no politician or speechwriter. I'm not going to get overly worked up over a 4 minute interview he clearly didn't want to do.  Instead, I'll base a good portion of my perspective as to his desire to win on whether he opens up his wallet again this year like he did last year.  Actions speak louder than words and I want to see the new GM with the flexibility to spend up to the new cap limit.

Lake, while your point is well taken, I truly doubt that PK ad libbed that interview. And if he has one shred of connection to this(his) franchise, surely he should know of the mounting frustrations that are so evident on these boards. For what I'd assume (and here I go again) is an astute businessman, wouldn't you wonder how so little thought went into a crucial opportunity to assuage your dedicated fans' fears?

Here is my projected line up based on what is needed for this team to be successful:

Semin-Staal-Tlusty

Loktinov-Staal-Gerbe

Skinner-Lindholm- UFA #1)

(UFA #2) -Nash - (UFA #3)

Let's label the UFAs as either signings or acquisitions.  We have to get bigger.  Our 4th line needs to be bangers/grinders and we need a SOLID 40-45 point power forward on the 3rd line that is not afraid to hit.  Each of our lines will have a sizeable power forward that will wear teams down.

Faulk-Sekera

Hainsey-Liles

Harrison - (UFA)

We need a servicable 3rd line D man that can put up some numbers.

Goal tending is pretty set.

Khudobin

Ward

We need size and physicallity.  That is our number one objective this off season.  We have the scoring now we need to get bigger and tougher to establish forechecks.

It hasn't and changes never happen and we continue to miss the playoffs.  You wonder why we're missing the playoffs this is why.  At least we have our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line center woes sorted.

OBXer, to me this is the exact reason that the NHL policy of obscuring injuries is unfair to the players and their fans!! Think how much venomous angst has been bantered around thru this entire season on this and countless other web sites toward this one player. Everyone, and I include myself in this criticism, has called for Eric's head at one time or another this frustrating year.

As reactionary tendencies mount, management surely hears, and likely buys into the wave. The upshot is that a great player, playing likely injuried, could be traded away only to regain his form.

I ask, had we as fans known of the extent of Eric's injury, would we have been so quick to insist on his trade?

Is this confirmed that Erics injury bothered him all year and hasn't fully healed?  It would make me feel better and hopeful about him if it did........I would think John and Tripp would have mentioned it a few times if this was the case, nobody ever said a word about his knee which leads me to believe Eric has just gotten bored here and lost his passion to win and compete, he probably has been slacking a little in the off season too and not preparing enough.  when you have 50 million dollars in the bank i guess its easy to say ahhh screw it, I'll be ok, I don't need to train to hard this summer. .  I don't know what its gonna take to put a fire in him again but he better figure it out this summer, I'm still hoping a new coach will be the answer.

Eric and Jordan better commit to work harder than anyone else in the NHL this summer.  14mil a year between the two of them, If they want to be the hero Staal bros everyone thought they would be than they better train harder than they ever have before. I still believe in both of them and I want to see them come back  put up 140 points between  the two of them.  10points for every million they make.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Then frankly, he shouldn't have played this season and rehabbed like Joni...save us the cap hit, let us grab someone else in free agency...

That being said, I finally saw the PK interview the other day, and I am thoroughly disgusted with him right now...needless to say that, if I were a STH, I would be placing a call to his secretary right now...he came across like he just doesn't get it. 

Then frankly, he shouldn't have played this season and rehabbed like Joni...save us the cap hit, let us grab someone else in free agency...

That being said, I finally saw the PK interview the other day, and I am thoroughly disgusted with him right now...needless to say that, if I were a STH, I would be placing a call to his secretary right now...he came across like he just doesn't get it. 

So he lead the team in points while playing through an injury and you STILL find a way to hate on him?

haha ok

Lake, while your point is well taken, I truly doubt that PK ad libbed that interview. And if he has one shred of connection to this(his) franchise, surely he should know of the mounting frustrations that are so evident on these boards. For what I'd assume (and here I go again) is an astute businessman, wouldn't you wonder how so little thought went into a crucial opportunity to assuage your dedicated fans' fears?

Don't get me wrong, it was a miserable, tone deaf interview.  I'm just saying that PKs actions will matter more to me than that interview.  And the principle two actions I want him to take are:

1. bring in a good GM and let him do his job. I don't want a Jerry Jones type owner.
  2. fully fund the team.  Payroll up to the cap (which to his credit he did do last year) as well as more $ for development.

Think of it from the opposite direction; it wouldn't have mattered to me if PK had delivered exactly the correct message in the correct tone if he then went out and reduced the payroll for next year (perhaps thinking that he opened his wallet this year and it didn't pay off).  

Edited by LakeLivin

That was exactly my take, AWACS. IT appeared that Forsland even attempts to throw him a lifeline for rescue, and PK blithely ignores him in condescending fashion. Surely despite Lake's suggestion that we with hold our judgement until we see if he opens up the bank account must also take into account the "beacon" of this franchise's indifference towards his fans

And Lake, I do agree with your 2nd thought.