The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

And yet they go out there and work harder than the guys making 10x their salary...

end of discussion

Awac.  You cannot compare work ethic ro raw talent.  Having a strong work ethic will not make you into a 30 goal scorer in this league.  You either have the talent or you don't.  A hard wortk ethic won't even make you a 20 goal scorer in this league.  You want to know why Jordan's numbers are so low?  It's because he played the shut down role on a shut down line with non-offensive talented players for the majority of the season.  Nobody hear can argue against this.

Number one priority this off season:  Sign a 50pnt/season power forward that knows how to fore check and check.

Edited by bluedevil58

So $6 mil can get you a Jonathan Toews, huh?  How exactly does that work? Would we just take our $6 mil to the Jonathan Toews store and pick one up off the shelf?  Or maybe we could get one through Amazon (I wonder if he would qualify for free shipping?)

:rofl:

This is what comes from cherry picking a contract to compare someone with. I have news for people, go to "Toews-R-Us" in 2 years when he's a UFA, and I bet you can't buy one then for that money.

We have some players that have underperformed their contracts, but it's hard to say that you can subtract contract A and spend it on player B. The Canes have so many under performers that I have to question just deeper than player performance. Are they being put in a position to have success by the staff?

Edited by super_dave_1

It has to be the staff.  I witnessed a *edit* PP for 80% of the season and there were never any adjustments.  This coaching staff has got to go,  The team isn't going to magically come together people.  The light is simply not going to click and we're going to march our way into the post season.  Not with this coaching staff running the show.

Edited by OBXer

And yet they go out there and work harder than the guys making 10x their salary...

end of discussion

Awac.  You cannot compare work ethic ro raw talent.  Having a strong work ethic will not make you into a 30 goal scorer in this league.  You either have the talent or you don't.  A hard wortk ethic won't even make you a 20 goal scorer in this league.  You want to know why Jordan's numbers are so low?  It's because he played the shut down role on a shut down line with non-offensive talented players for the majority of the season.  Nobody hear can argue against this.

Number one priority this off season:  Sign a 50pnt/season power forward that knows how to fore check and check.

I'd settle for a big power forward who isn't afraid of standing in front of the crease to go after those garbage goals, like what Simmonds did for the Flyers this season (29 goals)

It has to be the staff.  I witnessed a *edit* PP for 80% of the season and there were never any adjustments.  This coaching staff has got to go,  The team isn't going to magically come together people.  The light is simply not going to click and we're going to march our way into the post season.  Not with this coaching staff running the show.

Agreed. I'll say it again, the poor starts, underperforming players, lack of PP success, and zero evidence of accountability is not  acceptable. Not to mention the constant "we played well and didn't get the results" comments when it was painfully obvious that that wasn't the case. Not to mention how many times we heard it, which means the results were simply not there. Time for a change, I called for it last year but alas here we are again. I could eventually be proven wrong but how long do we wait, and at what cost if nothing changes.

I'd settle for a big power forward who isn't afraid of standing in front of the crease to go after those garbage goals, like what Simmonds did for the Flyers this season (29 goals)

You and me both. Like I said, I like Gerbe, Dwyer, and Loktionov, but I still say we need some bangers who score dirty goals and are effective along the boards, bringing much needed physicality.

So $6 mil can get you a Jonathan Toews, huh?  How exactly does that work? Would we just take our $6 mil to the Jonathan Toews store and pick one up off the shelf?  Or maybe we could get one through Amazon (I wonder if he would qualify for free shipping?)

:rofl:

I'm a Prime Member, so if I see a toews for a reasonable price, I'll pick up 2.

Awac.  You cannot compare work ethic ro raw talent.  Having a strong work ethic will not make you into a 30 goal scorer in this league.  You either have the talent or you don't.  A hard wortk ethic won't even make you a 20 goal scorer in this league.

Have to disagree with you there...how else do you explain Rosey's 20+ goal season a few years ago?  That guy was one of the hardest workers on this team...

There is a large compost pile of ex-NHL " raw talent "  just outside of BF Canada and a smaller one in Russia.

Edited by winger52

Don't forget the Deutsch Eishockey Liga...where former Cane Tim Conboy and his Ingolstadt team just beat Cologne for the title.

Have to disagree with you there...how else do you explain Rosey's 20+ goal season a few years ago?  That guy was one of the hardest workers on this team...

How many 20 goal seasons did LaRose have?  He did not have a single one,  Let's not forget how reliable he was defensively with an all time of -29.  If he was so good then why is he not currently playing in the NHL?  Not even on a 4th line role..... 

How many 20 goal seasons did LaRose have?  He did not have a single one,  Let's not forget how reliable he was defensively with an all time of -29.  If he was so good then why is he not currently playing in the NHL?  Not even on a 4th line role..... 

My bad...he had 19-goal seasons twice...which is more than quite a few other higher paid Canes have had their entire careers!

He's not playing anymore because the STRONG rumors are that he was sick and tired of the lack of direction in the locker room and Kirk's way of not utilizing players talents...thus he skipped his exit interviews last season and he's done-zo.

And if you want to get into the +/- debate, look at Ovi...

Patrick Roy showed what a difference coaching makes.  Avs brought him straight from Major Junior A head coach to NHL head coach.  After Philly dumped Lavy they promotoed long time assistant Craig Berube.  Different paths but you know what those guys have that I haven't seen from Muller?  Fire in the belly to win.  Same as Boudreau out in Anaheim.  A type personalities that demand alot but also respect and reward those who perform.  The only recent exception to this is Torts - he fell on his face this year.  Canes need a coach to wake them up out of their small market hockey mentality.

Please Canes don't bring in a re-tread NHL bench boss from some other team.  Bring in the guy that when he walks into the locker room in front of his team everyone immediately shuts *edit* up, listens and plays knowing they are accountable for EACH of the 82 games they are priviledged to play.  The Staals don't need a hand holding coach like they've had the past few seasons they need a demanding coach.  None of these pro jobs, palyers, coaches, general managers are meant to be a career with one team.  If a person aint cutting it move them.

LaRose was a fourth line player who through hard work and perseverence worked himself into a role for which he was not suited and put up decent numbers (19 goals) a couple of years. His work ethic no matter the role he was given is what made him a fan favorite.

That being said, having become "fed up" with the lack of direction in our locker room does not explain why he was not even offered a minor league tryout a la Malhotra by 29 other teams. I think maybe he had lost a step the last year or two, giving other teams (and the Hurricanes) better choices for 4th line roles. Now if you want to go after Muller for screwing up good talent, let's talk about Jokinen.

I want to go to the Wayne Simmonds store.

Ding-Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   A winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Why did it take so long to come to this conclusion...

Awac. You cannot compare work ethic ro raw talent. Having a strong work ethic will not make you into a 30 goal scorer in this league. You either have the talent or you don't. A hard wortk ethic won't even make you a 20 goal scorer in this league. .

You need to watch "The Last Gladiators" about Chris Nilan...

Whattausay, he missed the point of the entire argument...I'd rather take work ethic over raw talent every day of the week...and I'd think that most teams would as well...having a team full of talented slackers (see Ovi) doesn't get you too far...but how many hard-workers have willed their teams to Cup wins?  Quite a few.

Whattausay, he missed the point of the entire argument...I'd rather take work ethic over raw talent every day of the week...and I'd think that most teams would as well...having a team full of talented slackers (see Ovi) doesn't get you too far...but how many hard-workers have willed their teams to Cup wins? Quite a few.

Exactly. You're def not alone there, nobody would even touch Pavel Bure. Also on your line of thinking, Miracle on Ice comes to mind.

Everyone at this level has some degree of talent. Then it comes down to hard work and determination to rise above. That goes a long way in all aspects of the game, locker room, fans, etc.

Edited by Whattausay

I remember the multitude of breakaways Larose used to earn himself when he was at the peak of his game. I also remember that he didn't net many goals on them. So there's your work ethic versus talent debate all with the same player.

I remember how many breakaways Sutter used to earn himself and he buried a lot of them. There's a balance to the work ethic/skill department and you gotta have both.

Let's also not forget that LaRose was one of the most defensively inept forwards that we had hence his awesome +/-.  He always used to earn break aways but could never finish because he lacked the finishing abilities as stated above.  If LaRose was so great he would be playing on a team right now or would be enjoying the off season.