The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

. .. There's a balance to the work ethic/skill department and you gotta have both.

:goodpost:

It's not a black & white, either/ or issue imo.  Great skill without enough work ethic gets you an Ovi.  Great work ethic without enough skill gets you a career 4th liner.  Put both together (and some luck avoiding major injuries) and you get a Hall of Famer.  The stronger a player is in one of the dimensions the "weaker" he can be in the other and still help his team. 

Having said that, I suspect that even though a greatly skilled player can make his teammates better on the ice, a poor work ethic might more insidiously effect a player's team in a "non-quantifiable" way (drive, morale, etc.).

Edited by LakeLivin

Not to stray too far off topic with LaRose, but he did win the award (forgot what its called) for best plus-minus in the OHL just before joining the Canes.  His plus-minus was also fine here until the seasons after the 08-09 playoff run. 

So, he wasn't totally a defensive liability until the time when he began to get slotted on lines outside his skill range.

The story of quite a few of our guys the past few seasons unfortunately.

Not to stray too far off topic with LaRose, but he did win the award (forgot what its called) for best plus-minus in the OHL just before joining the Canes.  His plus-minus was also fine here until the seasons after the 08-09 playoff run. 

So, he wasn't totally a defensive liability until the time when he began to get slotted on lines outside his skill range.

The story of quite a few of our guys the past few seasons unfortunately.

But they weren't as expendable as Rosey was...so we can't knock them ;)

Who said that? Several of them can take a hike.

I'm not attached to fringe players.

Edited by legend-1

You said only Larose was expendable out of all the players who have been out of their skill level. I said who said that?

I think the whole group of them can go. If you're playing out of your skill level then clearly we need someone in those spots who are at the skill level for the positions these guys are constantly being stuck into.

Such as Dwyer and Bowman.

Oh...I meant that Rosey got knocked for his perceived lack of results by the board members here, and not too many shed a tear when he didn't come back...but the higher-paids who have under-delivered haven't gotten similar treatment until recently.

Larose used to be one of my favorite players.  I remember when he first started on the team.   He always gave 100 % and even though it took him forever to make that very 1st goal, he kept trying and never let up.  Kevin Adams was another 4th liner whom I liked.  GAve 100 % and was always going wide open.  I think the team lacks that kind of hustle and drive.  The team used to always chase after the puck and hounded whomever had it on the other team.  They never let up and created chances and turnovers.  Seems the last few years, there has been more of a confused chase after the puck and no where near the results as earlier teams.  We have had teams with not as many big name players who still brought it every night.  I miss that kind of drive on this team.  The motivation seems to be lacking.  A lot of games the team just seems to be skating around just waiting for the other team to make a mistake instead of creating those opportunities.

Larose used to be one of my favorite players.  I remember when he first started on the team.   He always gave 100 % and even though it took him forever to make that very 1st goal, he kept trying and never let up.  Kevin Adams was another 4th liner whom I liked.  GAve 100 % and was always going wide open.  I think the team lacks that kind of hustle and drive.  The team used to always chase after the puck and hounded whomever had it on the other team.  They never let up and created chances and turnovers.  Seems the last few years, there has been more of a confused chase after the puck and no where near the results as earlier teams.  We have had teams with not as many big name players who still brought it every night.  I miss that kind of drive on this team.  The motivation seems to be lacking.  A lot of games the team just seems to be skating around just waiting for the other team to make a mistake instead of creating those opportunities.

The interesting thing is that we were number one in the league in Takeaways this year.  I know that stat is somewhat subjective depending on the the scorer so I looked at "away" takeaways (which wouldn't be influenced by our home scorer) and we were still ninth in the league.  I wonder if we just don't notice takeaways that are not the result of big hits, which obviously wasn't our style?

The interesting thing is that we were number one in the league in Takeaways this year.  I know that stat is somewhat subjective depending on the the scorer so I looked at "away" takeaways (which wouldn't be influenced by our home scorer) and we were still ninth in the league.  I wonder if we just don't notice takeaways that are not the result of big hits, which obviously wasn't our style?

I realize everyone here wants to get bigger, but I'd like to point out that "hitting everything with the puck" is exactly what cost Columbus a couple of playoff games.  Badly timed hits, where it made zero impact and didn't turn the puck over.  I can't tell you how much I was screaming at the TV over them laying dumb hits only to watch the pass connect and a Pen be down ice with a solid scoring chance as a result.  Puck possession wins games.  Period.

Getting more physical is about puck possession. I agree ill-timed hits accomplish little, but having soft/small players losing board battles and getting pushed off the puck results in loss of possession also. It's not about getting bigger, it's about getting more physical on the forecheck, winning board battles, having an effective net-front presence, and not getting pushed off the puck so easily.

This should be one of, if not the #1 priority this offseason in my opinion.

Edited by Kyrule

#Canes Loktionov sustained an injury on his first World Championship shift, left holding his shoulder. Taken to the hospital for examination

Are these games really worth it?

Yikes, was just about to comment on this after reading over on Canes Country!! What horrible luck, and I too wonder if we aren't cursed there? Loktinov was really impressive in his role, and hope this is relatively minor, but IDK?

Yikes, was just about to comment on this after reading over on Canes Country!! What horrible luck, and I too wonder if we aren't cursed there? Loktinov was really impressive in his role, and hope this is relatively minor, but IDK?

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud 2h

RUS coach describes Loktionov's injury as "very serious", says he is out for the duration of the tournament #Canes

Uh oh.

I HATE, HATE these tournaments.  I don't care what E. Staal said.  I'm convinced last year's tournament was part of the reason that he's Fishing in Ontario right now.

It's such a dumb, pointless tournament. You're playing for your country because your the best of what's left. You really haven't earned anything.

First off, I hope the injury to Lokti isn't as bad as it sounds and we can re-sign him at a reasonable rate.  But if it is bad (and this may sound cold), better that it happened before we re-sign him than after.  At least we'd have time to explore the free agent market for an alternative player. . .

The latest tweets make Loktionov's injury sound very severe. I guess until we know the exact digonosis we won't be sure. I was having trouble seeing just where Loktionov would fit on next seasons team and if he did who would not be back. He certainly helped our power play and brought some speed to the lineup.  As cold as it is (as lake pointed out) I don't see us signing him if there is any doubt about a recoverery. 

What an awful thing to happen to this young player. Why would you risk injury playing in a virtually meaningless tournament in a contract year.

I'm guessing you mean in general but the way you worded it makes it sound like I didn't understand why Snow was mad and I do.

I'm guessing you mean in general but the way you worded it makes it sound like I didn't understand why Snow was mad and I do.

One never knows if one is being referred to by "you".  One should use "one" when talking in general. 

Happy Monday.  :spin: