The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Rumors are flying that both of the Ontario captains may be available for trade this off season. Either one as a Hurricane would be fine with me!

According to a news flash this morning. Both may be available. Spezza because of rebuild and Phaneuf because new guys have worked out well and Leafs feel they can get value for Dion.

Edited by winger52

I dunno if it's because he's been playing with the Leafs but I don't feel he's been anywhere as good as he was for the Flames. I wanted Dion when he was with the Flames, not sure about now.

Edited by legend-1

Everybody has been talking about getting bigger, how can you pass on a 6'3 dman with his experience? Toronto might not be the right fit for him. And our new coach might be the key to revitalization.

The team that let up the 26th most goals in the league wants to deal their "best" defensemen. It's just got my gears turning as to whether or not he's the same guy the Flames had and just how much do the Leafs think they can get for him?

Also if the Leafs think as much as I think they do of Dion they would likely want Faulk. Is that really an improvement?

Edited by legend-1

I dunno about Phaneuf, the last Toronto castoff we picked up didn't do jack for us this season...

Edited by AWACSooner

I dunno about Phaneuf, the last Toronto castoff we picked up didn't do jack for us this season...

True that, but don't you think that he was pretty much "damaged goods" when he arrived here.

That "damaged goods"/"cast off" was our best +/- player at +7 (he was -2 when he got here, so he was actually +9 with the Canes). Next closest was Sekera at +4. Liles didn't help the PP but he certainly didn't play poorly.

He sure as hell was an improvement over Gleason who ended up -20 or something like that.

Edited by Kyrule

He got here during our hot streak. Every one had improved numbers.

Hot streak? That must have happened when I went to the bathroom or stepped to the garage for a beer.

He got here during our hot streak. Every one had improved numbers.

???

Many of our players +/- dropped during his time here. There was no "hot streak" to boost his numbers.

Who knows when it wasn't in the post.  If so though, he hardly played and definitely won't be back.  Liles is under contract for another two years, ouch.  Definitely not one of JR's stellar signings.

I wonder if AWAC was talking about Komisarik rather than Liles?  Komi sure as heck didn't do anything this year. . .

That's whom I was referring to when krule took exception, and I surely know that JML did bring a little.

Alright everybody. No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was talking about Liles . I think it was the part of AWACS post about the last castoff from Toronto. Since he was the last one ,that was who I was referring to. Komi didn't play enough to justify sharpening his skates. Also I thought our hot streak was in Jan. And lasted more than five games.

Edited by winger52

Komisarek, Tlusty, Liles, Harrison...yea just not feeling good about dealing with the Leafs at the moment.

I would actually say those were all good deals.  Tlusty for Paridis...that's a great trade!  Komisarek made a very minimum salary to be the 7th defenseman and did his job when his name was called.  Harrison is not flashy, but performed pretty well for us for a pretty affordable salary.  Liles is not great, but he was an upgrade over Gleason....

All that said, I wouldn't pick up Phaneauf at this point.  He seems to have lost a step.

Who knows when it wasn't in the post.  If so though, he hardly played and definitely won't be back.  Liles is under contract for another two years, ouch.  Definitely not one of JR's stellar signings.

Gleason is also under contract for the next 2 years (at a total of 1/4 million more $ than Liles).  Given that there's no way we could have moved Tim without retaining some of his salary or absorbing a similar onerous contract, I don't have a problem with the Liles trade.

Alright everybody. No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was talking about Liles . I think it was the part of AWACS post about the last castoff from Toronto. Since he was the last one ,that was who I was referring to. Komi didn't play enough to justify sharpening his skates. Also I thought our hot streak was in Jan. And lasted more than five games.

Just a simple misunderstanding.

Edited by LakeLivin

Question for some of you harsh E Staal critics out there. Would you pull the trigger on an E for Spezza straight up trade if it was available?  No, I haven't heard any rumors and don't think it's feasible; I'm just curious as to what degree some of you want to "blow up" the team.

Question for some of you harsh E Staal critics out there. Would you pull the trigger on an E for Spezza straight up trade if it was available?  No, I haven't heard any rumors and don't think it's feasible; I'm just curious as to what degree some of you want to "blow up" the team.

NO....not even close!