The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

That is interesting, and segues into a thought I had when just flipped over to Canes Country. Wage is discussing the dilemma with Cam, and posits that a trade with Ottawa may be possible  As we've been reading, Jason Spezza is asking out of Ottawa. What would it look like to make that swap and put Spezza on 1 or 2C? We could then move Eric to a wing with either his brother or Spezza?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I resisted this idea for several yrs, based on Tim Gleason's abhorrence of this guy, but starting to warm to the idea, He surely would bring some of that lacking "grit" that we all seem to be yearning for, but still unsure of his "character".

Who cares about his character.  We need grit and guys that know how to actually play a physical game.  I am all for us getting a Cooke type of player as well.  Screw character.  How good has "character" done the team the last 5 years?

I feel your agony, but I've thought since day 1 that this team has been constructed with that attribute as it's cornerstone! In my humble estimation, to compromise JR'S AND THIS ORGANIZATION'S vision for a successful presence in this venue, just for the sake of winning, would erode popularity even further. Maybe that's being idealistic, but as one roams the halls at PNC arena, and sees that the games are family affairs, and further, knowing the Southern, as well as how should I phrase this, religious zeal of the area, I just don't think that character-challenged players would be as appreciated as much as in some other areas. Of course, those are just my observations, and I could be completely off base, particularly in the current playoff starved atmosphere the your "screw character" projects.

Further, so as not to be misunderstood, as much as my evolved tolerance for OTT has changed my thoughts, I'm still a "character" type person.

No to Ott imo.  I'm all for added physicality, but not at the expense of unnecessary penalties, potential retaliation against our skilled players, and a compromised hockey skill level.  In 59 games with Buffalo Ott had 20 pts and was a -26.  But Buffalo sucked, so let''s see what he did with the Blues (who had the 4th best record in the NHL this year). 23 games, 0 goals, 3 assists, and a -12. 

Even Boston is recognizing that pure physicality can't substitute for speed and skill in the new NHL.  Excerpt from a TheHockeyNews article:  http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-whats-next-for-the-boston-bruins/

"Following the Boston Bruins’ playoff elimination by the Montreal Canadiens, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told the Boston media, “I’m not gonna gut the team just because players didn’t play well.” The Boston Herald’s Steve Conroy reports Chiarelli admits he will tweak the roster this summer.

The Canadiens exploited the Bruins’ lack of speed, which Chiarelli acknowledges he will consider addressing this summer. Conroy also notes the Bruins’ GM admitted the NHL game is trending away from fighting, which could be bad news for free agent enforcer Shawn Thornton.

Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe believes the Bruins need more speed and puck-handling skills on the blueline, . ."

I agree that speed is the  ingredient the Canes need first. Not overlooking the need for physical play and size. But it starts with speed. Goon hockey, bad hits and needless fighting are on the way out.

edit: Just saw 58's post and 58 is right. We have to have players, tough no nonsense players that can establish a forecheck but they better be fast or they will never have a chance to get to the forecheck. One shot and done days better be over.

Lake.  The problem is that this team is unable to establish a fore check.  We need more grit.

BD, I'm all for that, but I don't think Ott is the right player for us. I see him bringing enough negatives to cancel out most of the positives he'd bring. Just my opinion.

I dunno what thing their doing but in Ott's past two year's he's a -38 so I'm guessing it's watching the puck go the other way and in the net.

The lines you also just listed were our 1st and 2nd lines at those times. Ott doesn't have the skill to hang with our top 2 lines.

A guy like Lucic whose a banger, pest and scorer would be what I want. But so does the rest of the NHL. So I hear what you're saying but strongly disagree Ott is the guy.

Edited by legend-1

I was not implying that Ott would be on the top 2 lines.  3rd line center however.....  This would allow Nash to work as 4th line center and develop.  It would also leave Lokt and Lindhom to the wings because both are not ready for NHL center duties.

I thought Loktionov was much better at center, I think he struggled playing wing. Lindholm looked better at the wing position for now.

Who knows what Loktionov's future is now though...

Isn't he an RFA? So we have exclusive rights to resigning him. Along with Gerbe, Tlusty, and Bowman. I think we would re-sign him. Hope so anyways.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Yes he is a RFA, I was referring to the serious shoulder injury he sustained at the World's. We may not re-sign him if it is serious enough (it required surgery in Switzerland last I heard).

Edited by Kyrule

Yes he is a RFA, I was referring to the serious shoulder injury he sustained at the World's. We may not re-sign him if it is serious enough (it required surgery in Switzerland last I heard).

It is really concerning because we have not heard any of the details on the injury or his time table to return.  The only statement after the surgery was that it "went well", and I think that was from his agent.  Usually you get "the surgery was successful", "he will be ready to go in camp", or even "we will evaluate him in a you pick the timeframe".  The total silence can't be good.

So what happens with a guy, a RFA, who sustains a serious injury before signing? Does someone just have to take a chance? Can you sign a guy to a two way contract? Is there any avenue other than a guaranteed contract or just not signing? I'd love to keep Loktionov around so to speak, but if he is at a serious NHL contract....no. You never know how a guy will return from an injury. Does he get his game back? Is he tentative? Does it take a year? 

I liked a lot of what I saw from him, but that was him healthy. It's not like he was lighting it up Skinner style.

Edited by remkin

I think it'll be based on the new coach and his philosophy if he thinks a currently injured Loktionov can help his system when healthy I think we'll qualify him. If not, goodbye Charlie.

I'll say again, what a dumb tournament to play in when you don't have a guaranteed employment.

So what happens with a guy, a RFA, who sustains a serious injury before signing? Does someone just have to take a chance? Can you sign a guy to a two way contract? Is there any avenue other than a guaranteed contract or just not signing? I'd love to keep Loktionov around so to speak, but if he is at a serious NHL contract....no. You never know how a guy will return from an injury. Does he get his game back? Is he tentative? Does it take a year? 

I liked a lot of what I saw from him, but that was him healthy. It's not like he was lighting it up Skinner style.

The way I read it on Capgeek, Lokti is eligible for a 2 way contract.  I know you can't assign a player under contract to the minors after he gets injured. But it sure seems like you should be able to assign a player who was injured while not under contract to an AHL club if you re-sign him to a 2-way contract.  If Lokti's rehab prediction isn't too long and the chance of subsequent re-injury isn't excessively high (and I'm sure the Canes doctors will be examining him thoroughly), I'd like to see us re-sign Lokti to a reasonable 2-way contract which would limit our $ risks if rehab doesn't go as expected. 

The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing for this team to re-sign Manny for the fourth line. We need all the veterans we can get. They could trade the rights to nash & loki.

Re-signing Malhotra should actually be a priority imo.  We need to further develop team character, and I don't know of anyone better positioned to lead the Canes in that aspect than Manny.  Not even counting what he brings to the entire team regarding faceoff success, from what I've read he's got the respect of the locker room, is actively teaching younger players on the go, and is the epitome of what you'd like as far as team character.  When he was in Charlotte I was concerned about the amount of penalty minutes he'd racked up in a short amount of time until I read that they resulted from fights he got into when he thought some opponents were running some of the younger Checkers.  Although none of us know what actually went on last year, the fact that a "non-star" player was given an "A" after only being with the team a month or so has strong implications regarding Manny's character. 

Edited by LakeLivin

As much as players want to play for their country you really have to question what they risk - namely their careers.  Staal getting his knee busted at last years worlds resulted (in part) to him having a not so great campaign this past year.  Now its Lokti's turn and what that means by way of re-signing him.  Part of the reason players agree to play in the worlds is to get international experience to be in a position to play in the Olympics.  I read that was Staals and Wards motivation for doing it last year.  Now neither is on Canada's national radar.  IMO these guys should focus on their careers/earnings.

Speaking of earnings I read E Staal is due a little over 18m in the next two seasons.  Shades of Vinny L. 

In retrospect, Lokti's decision to play in the World's does seem pretty foolish.  But I wonder if "non-star" free agents like Lokti (and Justin Peters) might also be motivated because a good showing could be an opportunity to enhance their contract negotiation positions?

LakeLivin, Thank you for your endorsement of Manny. Since his PTO, he very quickly became my favorite, and since coming to the Canes, his status, in my eyes continues to be off the charts. I'd bid on his military jersey, and was fortunate to have the highest bid, resulting in my going rinkside at the end of that game and, in person, getting his autograph. In my estimation, he is truly a "gentleman", and I so hope that he can be around for several more years.

Not that this sentimental endorsement on my part means very much to his game, but he seems to have held his own, particularly in the face-off dept. for the entire year. Too, as you point out, the organization must also share some of this respect we feel in awarding him the "A".