The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

LakeLivin, Thank you for your endorsement of Manny. Since his PTO, he very quickly became my favorite, and since coming to the Canes, his status, in my eyes continues to be off the charts. I'd bid on his military jersey, and was fortunate to have the highest bid, resulting in my going rinkside at the end of that game and, in person, getting his autograph. In my estimation, he is truly a "gentleman", and I so hope that he can be around for several more years.

Not that this sentimental endorsement on my part means very much to his game, but he seems to have held his own, particularly in the face-off dept. for the entire year. Too, as you point out, the organization must also share some of this respect we feel in awarding him the "A".

In my opinion, he's the most qualified to win the Masterton trophy.

Just a heads up that the Memorial Cup final (Guelph vs. Edmonton) is on the NHL Network today at 4:00pm.

I'll DVR it just to get a look at McGinn.

Dang Uverse. No NHL network.

Let us know how McGinn looks. He is my lead prospect in the wings.

The good:

He obviously has some skill and I think he has good hockey sense. He seems like a decent/not bad skater. He seems to have good vision. He made some moves at speed. His shot looked good but his release was a bit slow. Not too many shots attempted so this is based on a very small sample.

The bad:

He looks small and was a bit tentative IMO. He also "lost the handle" a few times, wiffing or losing possession of the puck when not pressured. This was likely an anomaly. I didn't see the physical aspect of his game, and IMO his size (at the current time) would hinder him from being a significant physical presence at the NHL level.

Keep in mind this is all based on one game so it doesn't mean much/if anything at all. Still, I would guess that he is another year or two away from being a consistent NHL player. The good news is that his strengths are things that are difficult to teach, he just has to fill out/put on some muscle and round out his game.

Edited by Kyrule

Am I crazy? Someone shift over to Canes Country and look at the photo of our new signee, Karlsson, Tell me that he doesn"t look exactly like Joni, or did they mix up the photos?

Thats a  good, insightful site, much like ours.... He looks big, and i hope he can cycle, and i dont mean a bike   :thumbsup:

The good:

He obviously has some skill and I think he has good hockey sense. He seems like a decent/not bad skater. He seems to have good vision. He made some moves at speed. His shot looked good but his release was a bit slow. Not too many shots attempted so this is based on a very small sample.

The bad:

He looks small and was a bit tentative IMO. He also "lost the handle" a few times, wiffing or losing possession of the puck when not pressured. This was likely an anomaly. I didn't see the physical aspect of his game, and IMO his size (at the current time) would hinder him from being a significant physical presence at the NHL level.

Keep in mind this is all based on one game so it doesn't mean much/if anything at all. Still, I would guess that he is another year or two away from being a consistent NHL player. The good news is that his strengths are things that are difficult to teach, he just has to fill out/put on some muscle and round out his game.

Thanks Krule! Nice report. I still have high hopes. Not Lindholm level, but very nice NHL second/third liner hopes.

So if Francis can execute the following list well we could surprise:

1. Right coach

2. Good draft

3. Get a good trade for Cam

4. Pick up a few key FA's.

That's the list.

I've been out of loop lately. What's the latest on Loktionov's injury?

I don't think you missed much. Last I heard or read is that he needed (was scheduled for) surgery in Switzerland and the shoulder injury was said to be serious by Team Russia. There might be an update out there but I can't find it.

Just reading many hockey sites and one (thn.com) stated that Pitkinen would be back.  I know he is a UFA this summer but surely we are NOT bringing him back!!    :tsktsk:

His salary hit was way to big for his play.  I also heard there was a question he might not play again (forgot the source on that one).

What's the truth? :nailbite:

A lot of people liked him but all I saw was a player no one could play with.  His partner never knew what he was going to do, he crashed down the left side like a forward and remained deep in the zone, and gave up way too many passes during the Power Play.

What do the fans know/think?

He was a bit overpaid, but if he comes back, it will be for a fraction of what he once made.  He played a lot of minutes and I think he was a little better than his reputation.  I would at least offer him a tryout.  His skating was always his strength so I would be VERY hesitant to give him a contract without the tryout.

He was a bit overpaid, but if he comes back, it will be for a fraction of what he once made.  He played a lot of minutes and I think he was a little better than his reputation.  I would at least offer him a tryout.  His skating was always his strength so I would be VERY hesitant to give him a contract without the tryout.

What cclif said.  If Pits comes back (and I still think that's a very big if) it could present the opportunity to retain a Dman skilled in some of the areas that hurt us this year (clearing the zone and PP), and at a very reasonable rate.  Obviously any agreement would have to be structured so as to minimize risk to the organization. But it's these type potential opportunities that we likely need to capitalize on to offset our disadvantage of being a small market team.

If Joni is healthy I wouldn't be opposed to him attempting to come back. I think the odds are long. Although I would be more comfortable if Joni was signed to a tryout contract if he were to sign a short term contract and it didn't work out I expect he would end up back on the long term injury list. That would afford us both salary and cap relief. The concern I would have is if Joni were healthy enough to play but not play well.

I hate to see a players career end with an injury like Joni had. I'm doubtful he can recover from the injury but if the Docs say he can play I would somehow find a way to give him a shot.

I agree it's highly unlikely he's ready to play, but I like what he can bring to the team if he's healthy and cheap. I think if I were him, though, I might consider going back to a euro team for the first year where I'd be less likely to get hurt again until I got up to speed and proved my heel was ready for the big time. 

The last update I heard about Joni I was that he was still unable to put an ice skate on his foot. I don't think the guy is ready. It's been what a year and a half now and he is still not healed.... This was a career ending injury. It's a shame because before Sekera came he was our best d man by a wide margin.

That Justin Williams trade sure paid dividends for us. I mean giving up both Williams and Jack Johnson has helped the team. Look at who we still have from that awesome trade....

This rumor that the Leafs want E keeps popping up. I have been ignoring it but does anybody think a Captain for Captain swap is realistic. Phaneuf  has a 7mil contract through 2021. Yet the rumor of Toronto's interest in Staal keeps showing up.

This rumor that the Leafs want E keeps popping up. I have been ignoring it but does anybody think a Captain for Captain swap is realistic. Phaneuf  has a 7mil contract through 2021. Yet the rumor of Toronto's interest in Staal keeps showing up.

Talk about a massive upgrade to the D.  And a massive hole to fill on offense (if you believe that last season was more of an anomaly for E than a sign of things to come, which I do). 

It would be cool to have Elisha Cuthbert at the home games though. :P But seriously, I don't think a small market team is nearly as well positioned to assume the risk of that big a contract for that many years as teams like the Leafs are.

Talk about a massive upgrade to the D.  And a massive hole to fill on offense (if you believe that last season was more of an anomaly for E than a sign of things to come, which I do). 

It would be cool to have Elisha Cuthbert at the home games though. :P But seriously, I don't think a small market team is nearly as well positioned to assume the risk of that big a contract for that many years as teams like the Leafs are.

Are you suggesting we got rid of Ron the Ref to make room for a package deal including Elisha to become host of the in game festivities.  :) 

I doubt a straight up Phaneuf for Staal deal can be pulled off but I have seen speculation on other combos that might work. I think Staal will have a bounce back year but his name keeps coming up. I wont be surprised if he is dealt or unhappy if he isn't.

Are you suggesting we got rid of Ron the Ref to make room for a package deal including Elisha to become host of the in game festivities.  :)

I doubt a straight up Phaneuf for Staal deal can be pulled off but I have seen speculation on other combos that might work. I think Staal will have a bounce back year but his name keeps coming up. I wont be surprised if he is dealt or unhappy if he isn't.

I don't like E for Phaneuf, but if we can do an "a la cart" Ron the Ref for Elisha Cuthbert deal, I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup::grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't like E for Phaneuf, but if we can do an "a la cart" Ron the Ref for Elisha Cuthbert deal, I'm all for it!!! :thumbsup::grin:

Lake, I'm totally with you here. D Phaneuf, heavy shot and all, just is not the type of person/player I believe the Canes need in their locker room, from the smatterings of talk I've heard about him. Now, I don't knoe who this Elisha is that y'all keep referring to, but I'm sure that deal would be the better.