The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Kjun- she's an actress who's married to Phaneuf. :grin:

elisha-cuthbert-wallpapers-546603134.jpg

Wow, like I said Lake, "that deal would be better". Gees, where have I been lately? Wonder if she'd be Chantel's replacement?

A trade that I would love to see is as follows. Eric Staal/Andrej Sekera and our first

to Nashville for Shea Weber/Craig Smith and their first round pick.

Except then we're paying Weber 7.8 million a year till he's 40.  I don't think it's worth the risk.

Eric Staal the only player in franchise history to score 70plus points every year execpt one(this year only 61) cannot be traded for any defenseman.   We expect more from him but even a crappy E STaal year is 61 points which is more than most NHL players can put up.  Erics not done, he didn't work with Muller well and most the team didn't either.  He will lead us once again with a 90 [point season.  If Staal sucks this coming year you consider a trad but right now you keep him because he is a high scoring foward every year.  Do not under estimate the value of Eric Staal, If new coach puts a fire under him he will dominate and put up 85-100 points.

Just thought about a trade idea I'd run past y'all. As previously stated, I'm against trading our 1st round pick UNLESS we can a top 4 defenseman for it. So with that in mind..,

Winnipeg trades

Dustin Byfuglien

Pavalec

Carolina trades

Cam Ward

1st rounder

Prospect- maybe Tolchinsky

They get a 1st rounder, a starting goalie I'm sure Paul Maurice feels comfortable with, solid prospect, and they get rid of 2 disgruntled contracts/players. Winnipeg nation views Pavalec the same way Carolina nation views Cam, but Cam has more credentials.

We get a top 4 defenseman that could bolster the power play, also without giving up a core player to get him. We'd also be getting rid of a disgruntled contract/player. Cam would be a little closer to home, which could make him more comfortable confident. We'd get Jiri a hometown buddy, and a still expensive, but more affordable backup goalie.

I wonder if we could trade Eric Staal for Ryan Kelser?

Kelser wants out of Vancouver and he only makes $5mil.  I would trade Staal for Kelser and maybe a 2nd/3rd round draft pick.

Thoughts?! (Friendly ones, please!   :whiteflag: )

I feel that a lot of peeps have the mind set of "what have you done lately".  Eric has been one of the most consistent scorers in the NHL over the past decade and he never gets injured.  On top of that he has proven that he carries his own weight come playoff time.  Yes, I get mad at him as do you.  But trading him would be terrible for this franchise.

If I was seriously considering trading Eric Staal, the only trading partner I can think of that might work would be Montreal.  They are looking for a big number one center and they have the pieces I would be looking to acquire.  It would take something like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, and thier 1st (Lemieux?).

I wonder if anyone has studied the effect of No Trade Clauses. 

At first glance just seems to give too much power to the player. Even if the contract is huge and guaranteed, just the threat of trading someone, possibly to a terrible market or team, has to have at least some tempering effect. 

Say a player just wasn't feeling it. Doesn't really care for the coach after a while. Whatever. The coach felt he wasn't bringing it. Coach can cut his ice time. But eventually you're just devaluing your asset. You can scream and yell.  You can even healthy scratch him, but you still gotta pay him and in the end you can't trade him unless he agrees. Just seems to take the final piece of leverage and hand it to the player.

I can see giving a NTC to a guy who has played on a few non NTC contracts and is approaching the middle end of his career. But a young 20 something? 

Anyone familiar with the history of the NTC? Would Cam or Eric or Jordan really not have signed without one?

Edited by remkin

Just thought about a trade idea I'd run past y'all. As previously stated, I'm against trading our 1st round pick UNLESS we can a top 4 defenseman for it. So with that in mind..,

Winnipeg trades

Dustin Byfuglien

Pavalec

Carolina trades

Cam Ward

1st rounder

Prospect- maybe Tolchinsky

They get a 1st rounder, a starting goalie I'm sure Paul Maurice feels comfortable with, solid prospect, and they get rid of 2 disgruntled contracts/players. Winnipeg nation views Pavalec the same way Carolina nation views Cam, but Cam has more credentials.

We get a top 4 defenseman that could bolster the power play, also without giving up a core player to get him. We'd also be getting rid of a disgruntled contract/player. Cam would be a little closer to home, which could make him more comfortable confident. We'd get Jiri a hometown buddy, and a still expensive, but more affordable backup goalie.

But Pavlec is a worse goalie, and is signed for longer than Ward.  Better to use a compliance buyout, if ownership was willing to pay out the cash, or just sit on it till the contract expires.

But Pavlec is a worse goalie, and is signed for longer than Ward. Better to use a compliance buyout, if ownership was willing to pay out the cash, or just sit on it till the contract expires.

Pavalec is the lesser goalie, but could be reliable in a backup role. And his salary is half the size of Cam's with only 1yr longer. If we're trying to get rid of Cam, then finding a backup with experience should be a priority. Pavalec, while not great, has put up solid numbers in the past and could be relied on for 30ish games.

Pavalec is the lesser goalie, but could be reliable in a backup role. And his salary is half the size of Cam's with only 1yr longer. If we're trying to get rid of Cam, then finding a backup with experience should be a priority. Pavalec, while not great, has put up solid numbers in the past and could be relied on for 30ish games.

I'd still prefer the buyout of Cam, with Peters as a backup for Dobbin.  #.9million or 6.3million is too much for a backup.

Ok, I know this probably isn't realistic, but in keeping with the Canes-Pens melodrama:

Sounds like Pittsburgh isn't going to be able to afford to resign Niskanen. Given that Pitkanen's $4.5m contract is expiring, what about pursuing Niskanen in the free agent market? If we could re-sign Hainsey for a reasonable amount, that would give us a top 4 of Sekera, Faulk, Hainsey, and Niskanen. 

As far as a 2nd goalie, I want someone I'd trust to take the reigns for an extended period of time if necessary (and that's not Peters imo).  Because Khudini plays a style that I fear leaves him more open to injury than the typical NHL goalie.    

A thought just hit me.   I wonder if this Pittsburgh "recycling Cane execs" thing might turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to us this offseason?  Here's hoping that it pi$$es PK off to the extent that he keeps his wallet open in order to maximize the chances of sticking it to the Pens on the ice.  At least one can hope. . .

I hope you are right about PK trying to show them up..  The thing that bothers me is that JR obviously has a good reputation for being a great hockey mind.  JR wouldn't hire JK if he thought that he was the problem in Carolina when his Dad fired him.  So if JR has skipped out and immediately took another GM job elsewhere, with a team that knows talent when they see it, it appears that our problems may still be here.  After the interview, I thought PK seemed to be a lot out of touch with reality with what was going on.  Hell, I am not so sure he knows what off sides is and how many red lines are even on the ice.  If JR wasn't the issue, this year maybe worse than last.  Hope that I am way off base, but you have to admit it is concerning with the events that have taken place over the last few weeks.

I guess it depends on how hands on PK is. I get the feeling that it's not that much, but I don't really know. JR in some of his more recent comments about why the Canes missed the playoffs the last 5 years, gave reasons that sounded about the same as PK's in his interview. Maybe PK was just putting out there what JR thought.

Anyway, if PK lets Francis et all run things, then I don't worry so much about the PK effect.

I do wonder if we need an experienced grey-beard-type to take over that President role though. Francis is new at this. Vellucci is new at the NHL level, I'm not sure about Tatum, but he's 40 years oid, not sure. Just the idea of someone to run things by who has been around the block a few times at the GM level/NHL level. 

That's what the loss of JR as President loses. With no JR, does PK try to step into that role? Then we have the issue in question becoming more important.

Edited by remkin

is anyone else slightly burned up that Justin Williams just won the CS award for Playoff MVP. I think its great for him and have always liked him as a player, was annoyed when they got rid of him. Just goes to show that once players leave here and are put in the roles they should be in great things happen.

I hope with JR gone we can start to move on from all the culmination of bad choices that have been made over the years to bury us.