The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The deal actually makes sence for both teams.  The Sharks can't get it done in the post season so why not get a proven playoff goalie?  The salary is basically a wash so they are not adding to the payroll and Cam is signed for one less season than Marleau.  We throw in Ryan Murphy and they add a second or 3rd round pick to balance out the deal.  We get more skilled and bigger upfront without taking on extra salary.  I like it!  I wish is was being reported by anybody, but Eklund!

The  buyout period started today. We still have two compliance buyouts. I guess we will be watching the waiver wire and twitter to try and get a clue who is availble.

I'm not sure we will use our buyouts but you never know who will become available from other teams.

No way the Sharks want Ward.  Why on earth would they give up their best forward for a washed up goal tender.  Have you seen the stats of their current goalie?  It blows Ward's stats out the window.  I just don't see the Sharks wanting Ward.,

No way the Sharks want Ward. Why on earth would they give up their best forward for a washed up goal tender. Have you seen the stats of their current goalie? It blows Ward's stats out the window. I just don't see the Sharks wanting Ward.,

I think Joe Pavelski is their best forward, followed by Thorton & Couture. I think Ward could be more valuable to them come playoff time, which is what I think the Sharks are banking on. Marleau hasn't performed well in the postseason. We need regular season help, they need playoff help.

I didn't watch all of the games so I'll defer if his stats are padded, but the last two playoffs he has averaged just under a point per game and this year he was a point per game. I'd take that.

I didn't watch all of the games so I'll defer if his stats are padded, but the last two playoffs he has averaged just under a point per game and this year he was a point per game. I'd take that.

It's mainly the fact he's not a physical player, and a lot of people say his game isn't suited for the playoffs, hence the nickname marshmarleau. And when they lose a series, he along with Thorton get the brunt of the blame.

You start putting the chatter and rumors together you get a feeling something is in the works. But will it work?

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie  ·  2h

CAR G Cam Ward has full NTC but under right circumstances it's believed he'll waive. In any case, consider him available/expendable in CAR.

Hopefully folks are not expecting much of a return for Ward. He's basically done as a starter for a playoff contender and no team is giving up much of anything for a backup.

I can hear it now...We gave up Ward for X, what a ripoff, RF is an idiot, etc.

We're going to get a journeyman and a 3rd rounder for Ward, not much more.

Let's get his contract off the books and move on. People dont really think we're getting anything decent in return for him, do they?

I don't really expect that the Canes will get much for Ward, and I think his time in Carolina is over, but I doubt he's washed up.  He's still relatively young for a Goalie and his problems have mostly been due to injury and playing too many games in front of a soft team.  He needs to move on, but don't be surprised if he returns as a top goal tender for someone else in the future.  I highly doubt the Marleau rumors, mostly because they are from Eklund, but that is the type of deal that is possible.  Both teams would be  moving a large and unwanted contract.  We sweeten the deal because Cam has been down the last couple of seasons.

Agreed. Many goalies have "died out" and then came back strong with other teams. However, if I'm a GM, I'm not giving the Canes much for Ward (and his contract). Highly-paid goalies that are "down for a couple of seasons" simply dont bring much in the way of trades. Way too risky to give up a proven commodity (or high draft pick) for a veteran goalie that may or may not pan out. He's an injury insurance policy for another team's starter and not much else.

We'll get something for him, but when I hear Parentau, Thornton, Pavelski, etc I say to myself that folks must be crazy to think we're getting this type of player for a admittedly down goalie.

I don't really expect that the Canes will get much for Ward, and I think his time in Carolina is over, but I doubt he's washed up.  He's still relatively young for a Goalie and his problems have mostly been due to injury and playing too many games in front of a soft team.  He needs to move on, but don't be surprised if he returns as a top goal tender for someone else in the future.  I highly doubt the Marleau rumors, mostly because they are from Eklund, but that is the type of deal that is possible.  Both teams would be  moving a large and unwanted contract.  We sweeten the deal because Cam has been down the last couple of seasons.

Why? You know, you just never can tell about what any individual player is seeking. Could be that NC is exactly what this guy wants. Everyone is not just attracted to the lights and glitz. Possibly Marleau, or his significant other wants to get away from all that, particularly if he is aging.

Boy, is Eklund going off the deep end? Reporting now that it's possible that Ryan O'Reilly may be offer sheeted, and guess by who? Calgary, Toronto and none other than The Canes? In the modern era, can someone please tell me if we have ever gone that route? I am aware that a play was made for a Russian player that apparently Karmanos wanted to stick it to Detroit over, but has there ever been anyone else?

Boy, is Eklund going off the deep end? Reporting now that it's possible that Ryan O'Reilly may be offer sheeted, and guess by who? Calgary, Toronto and none other than The Canes? In the modern era, can someone please tell me if we have ever gone that route? I am aware that a play was made for a Russian player that apparently Karmanos wanted to stick it to Detroit over, but has there ever been anyone else?

I think that was the only one we ever made an offer sheet to.

Sergei Fedorov  in 1998 we offered 6 year $38 million. Detroit mached the offer.

Yet I expect the unexpected from RF so you never know.

Wanna see this blow up in our face??  Trade  Cam to the PENS, and he   does what Sutter and   Jussi has done..

Its been reported that Ales Hemsky rejected the Senators recent contract and are now looking to trade him before he becomes a UFA for a draft pick.

Its been reported that Ales Hemsky rejected the Senators recent contract and are now looking to trade him before he becomes a UFA for a draft pick.

If the Cam for Marleau trade was anything more than Eklund making crap up, a top line of Marleau the sniper, Staal the power forward, and Hemsky the playmaker would look pretty solid! 

Follow that with the high skilled two-way play of Semin, Staal, and Tlusty and we would have a pretty legit top 6!

Then find the right center to play between Skinner and Lindholm (Loktionov?) and we could start to be difficult to play against!

Finally, a high speed, defensively responsible 4th line of Bowman, Nash, and Dwyer should be able to contribute some tough minutes and help out on the special teams!

It all sounds so easy in June!

Agreed. Many goalies have "died out" and then came back strong with other teams. However, if I'm a GM, I'm not giving the Canes much for Ward (and his contract). Highly-paid goalies that are "down for a couple of seasons" simply dont bring much in the way of trades. Way too risky to give up a proven commodity (or high draft pick) for a veteran goalie that may or may not pan out. He's an injury insurance policy for another team's starter and not much else.

We'll get something for him, but when I hear Parentau, Thornton, Pavelski, etc I say to myself that folks must be crazy to think we're getting this type of player for a admittedly down goalie.

I think we as fans and even the media get caught up in the moment and don't see the big picture. After we missed the playoffs this season, the vast majority of fans and media were saying we should blow everything up and rebuild, fire the coach, etc but Francis kind of dispelled that notion fairly quickly. When San Jose got eliminated, fans and media were saying the exact same thing, but their GM quickly came out and dispelled that notion.

Upper management in teams see the game differently than fans. We see cam as a inconsistent goalie that can't lead us to the playoffs, but other teams could see cam as a complimentary piece to a potential championship team. Based on his current track record, does it make sense for Pittsburgh to hire JR rather than keep shero?

Carolina depended on Cam to be a franchise player, like we rely on Eric, Capitals rely on Ovechkin, etc. Most nights, if he doesn't play top notch, all star level, we probably don't win. He's not that type of player. Another team, such as the sharks, don't need him to be that type of player. In my opinion, if the Sharks had a healthy Cam at his best, not only do they finish the current Stanley Cup champs, they'd probably win the whole thing.

So rather or not this current trade rumor has any validity, it does make sense.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

<p>I have no idea how reliable Cardiac Canes is, but the rumor is we are in talks to trade Eric Staal+ for Phaneuf and Kadri...</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="http://cardiaccane.com/2014/06/17/nhl-trade-rumors-carolina-hurricanes-willing-trade-eric-staal-dion-phaneuf/">http://cardiaccane.com/2014/06/17/nhl-trade-rumors-carolina-hurricanes-willing-trade-eric-staal-dion-phaneuf/</a></p>

Edited by cclifford10